Foam my "one day build" foam ODST helmet WIP

Spartan342

my ODST helmet I built today from EVA foam floor mats! it is gonna get a coat of paint at some point next week, just got to find a store locally that sells the paint I want. I'm building the whole armor suit following AndrewDFT's templates/how-to web series. I thought I'd start with an ODST setup before I made a spartan armor set due to it being a simpler (seeming) costume to make, that and I want some more experience before I tackle a spartan. constructive criticism is welcome, always looking for ways I can improve my armor builds

Attachments

• IMG_7589.jpg
    IMG_7589.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7588.jpg
    IMG_7588.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7587.jpg
    IMG_7587.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
my ODST helmet I built today from EVA foam floor mats! it is gonna get a coat of paint at some point next week, just got to find a store locally that sells the paint I want. I'm building the whole armor suit following AndrewDFT's templates/how-to web series. I thought I'd start with an ODST setup before I made a spartan armor set due to it being a simpler (seeming) costume to make, that and I want some more experience before I tackle a spartan. constructive criticism is welcome, always looking for ways I can improve my armor builds
Welcome to the 405th!

What you have looks great so far, I also like that even though you are following a tutorial you took the time to customize it! AndrewDFT's tutorials are a great place to start foamsmithing and armor building, so I can't wait to see your finished build!

Also before painting do you have a foam sealing method you plan on using?

Welcome to the 405th!

What you have looks great so far, I also like that even though you are following a tutorial you took the time to customize it! AndrewDFT's tutorials are a great place to start foamsmithing and armor building, so I can't wait to see your finished build!

Also before painting do you have a foam sealing method you plan on using?
I plan on using either plastidip or basically painting it with wood glue to seal it, prior to spray painting it, unless I can find plaidfx paint locally which I don’t think needs sealed before it’s used (if you know if it needs sealed or not lmk as I’m not 100% sure)

I plan on using either plastidip or basically painting it with wood glue to seal it, prior to spray painting it, unless I can find plaidfx paint locally which I don’t think needs sealed before it’s used (if you know if it needs sealed or not lmk as I’m not 100% sure)
I would recommend plastidip over wood glue. Wood glue tends to crack really bad when flexed while plastidip only wrinkles. Best of luck to you!

I think you need a sharper knife. Anything non-serrated that is consistently sharp will work great, especially on higher density foam. Chattered edges like some in the picture are extremely difficult to fix at any stage of building once it is cut. Also, super glue is wayyyy better than hot glue. I used to use hot glue but now I only use it for large connections or reinforcing. The seams form super glue just don't even compare. Visor is a pretty nice color! To be truly honest, I don't think the rough edges will be savable, with any amount sealing. Andrew DFT's tutorials are great for learning and practicing like you said, I bet a ton of people here started from him, though a lot of his templates are somewhat simplified and his tips are not always standard or widely applicable. 1/2 inch foam maps are usually softer and thicker than you would probably want for armor, especially helmets, though they are cheaper, but you get what you pay for. High density foam is usually more expensive but is definitely worth it if making a serious build. He also recommended clay for seam filling, though most people would say Quikseal or similar, which I found to be better myself. (I'm not trying to discredit him but his methods are either cheaper for video purpose or for guns instead of armor, and not all would be suitable for building a full on spartan) Chest piece looks very promising, good luck on your build!
(Apologies if this sounds insulting at any part, that is not my intention and I hope it's helpful and constructive)

I think you need a sharper knife... Chattered edges like some in the picture are extremely difficult to fix at any stage of building once it is cut.
I agree with RedRends that a new blade is in order, however, You are most certainly not beyond getting those edges smoother, that is, if you have a rotary tool. I have made many a cut with a duller knife, but with careful sanding with a rotary tool, most any rough cut can be made smooth.

Also, super glue is wayyyy better than hot glue. I used to use hot glue but now I only use it for large connections or reinforcing. The seams form super glue just don't even compare.
Some people prefer to use super glue, some prefer hot glue. I would not necessarily say one is right and one is wrong. After all, we have lots of members who love their hot glue! Schankerz and New_Brody exclusively use hot glue for their foam work! With any glue, it all comes down to how carefully you apply it. I find the trick with hot glue is to only use a thin layer, to avoid it squeezing out. That being said, I would certainly recommend trying a few different types of glue. Here are Schankerz's and New_Brody's suits:
halochristmas2022-84.jpg
halochristmas2022-56.jpg

High density foam is usually more expensive but is definitely worth it if making a serious build.
While the use of high density foam is not a bad thing, stellar suits can be made from foam mats! Those two Spartans above are made from foam mats, and so are Bunty Scrungus, PaiganBoi and yours truly! (Shown in that order)
halochristmas2022-43.jpg
halochristmas2022-61.jpg

He also recommended clay for seam filling, though most people would say Quikseal or similar, which I found to be better myself.
I have not used clay, but I can tell you that Quikseal is my best friend! Spending time making sure there are no gaps in the armour adds a really nice layer of polish!

Sorry RedRends, I didn't mean to tear your reply apart, but I did want to share my experience knowing folks who use hot glue and foam. All the guys I mentioned above are in the canadian regiment, which may explain why we like to use easier-to-get materials. High density foam and Barge contact cement can be pretty tricky to get our hands on, so we make due with what we have lol! Whichever method you choose, if you build slowly and thoughtfully, you can make a phenomenal suit out of pretty much any material and glue!

I agree with RedRends that a new blade is in order, however, You are most certainly not beyond getting those edges smoother, that is, if you have a rotary tool. I have made many a cut with a duller knife, but with careful sanding with a rotary tool, most any rough cut can be made smooth.

Some people prefer to use super glue, some prefer hot glue. I would not necessarily say one is right and one is wrong. After all, we have lots of members who love their hot glue! Schankerz and New_Brody exclusively use hot glue for their foam work! With any glue, it all comes down to how carefully you apply it. I find the trick with hot glue is to only use a thin layer, to avoid it squeezing out. That being said, I would certainly recommend trying a few different types of glue. Here are Schankerz's and New_Brody's suits:
View attachment 332225View attachment 332224

While the use of high density foam is not a bad thing, stellar suits can be made from foam mats! Those two Spartans above are made from foam mats, and so are Bunty Scrungus, PaiganBoi and yours truly! (Shown in that order)
View attachment 332228View attachment 332229

I have not used clay, but I can tell you that Quikseal is my best friend! Spending time making sure there are no gaps in the armour adds a really nice layer of polish!

Sorry RedRends, I didn't mean to tear your reply apart, but I did want to share my experience knowing folks who use hot glue and foam. All the guys I mentioned above are in the canadian regiment, which may explain why we like to use easier-to-get materials. High density foam and Barge contact cement can be pretty tricky to get our hands on, so we make due with what we have lol! Whichever method you choose, if you build slowly and thoughtfully, you can make a phenomenal suit out of pretty much any material and glue!
all good, anything that helps is of course fine. those suits are ridiculously impressive if they're only hot glue, idk how anyone has patience for that but you guys pulled it off

View attachment 332225View attachment 332224

View attachment 332228View attachment 332229

actually, if you've done it, how did you get okay dremeled edges on softer foam? I've used softer foam mats for years and though they do work in a lot of things, dremelled corners have been one of the biggest plusses since I switched to high density (which I got from hobby lobby because unfortunately cosplayshop.be doesn't ship overseas)

actually, if you've done it, how did you get okay dremeled edges on softer foam? I've used softer foam mats for years and though they do work in a lot of things, dremelled corners have been one of the biggest plusses since I switched to high density (which I got from hobby lobby because unfortunately cosplayshop.be doesn't ship overseas)
Just have to use a higher speed and rough sand paper. As long as you move quick you can get really clean edges. It's better to do a bunch of really quick and light passes than trying to take a lot of material off in one go. Also, only sand in the same direction as the dremel. Haven't had and issues with cleaning up my edges with the dremel, and it certainly makes my rough cuts wayyy better.

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back