My Pep So Far What Do You Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypto

hey all i found the site a few days back looking on google for some "not lame" fancy dress costumes cause its something the college always dose sometime of the year :/ so far been as a racing driver, army soldier etc but being the MC would rule :D ive started my pep but having a few problems with it warping as you call it but i dont get how i can fix it and is it just me or dose it look warped,
i was just gonna start again but it took 2 days to make and hard work " cut cut, score score,fold stick etc" so dont fancy making the whole helmet agen ive used the HD pep by danni,

looking forward to some suggestions on how to fix it thanks in advance SpecOps oh and heres some pics :D
Image0.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

sorry for the low rez pics camera broke and using my webcam

Blurry pictures, but I can still tell it looks nice! You should try makign FS's enw HD final model, very easy to make, and the best most accurate one there is. There was lot of work I had to put in with bondo, now nearly all major details on the helmet can be pep'd and bondo is just for smoothening out the piece.

cool glad it looks ok i just find that the peak of the cap goes to the left not inline with the jaw piece but i should be able to mould that when i resin it, oh and my last worry is i hope that PVA glue can hold up to fiberglass resin if not im doomed :*( cause i tought that was the equive to elmers craft glue ive seen so much on the fourms well ive got a fiberglass kit and heres some pics of the glue and kit :D gonna post my progress on how it goes...
Image7.jpg

the glue i used
Image8.jpg

fiberglass kit i found in the UK

oh and good news i found the focus on the webcam hope pics clearer

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Wicked-ness, i hope mine turns out like this! :p

aw cool well it my first try and i do hope so too :D well just a second ago put the outside coat of resin on drying now so in 1hr ill see what it looks like going great so far thanks for all the help on the fourms its helped load e.g reading all the stickys and PMing well only time will tell now and gl femalespartan on your build

oh and more pics soon when resin is dry...

Last edited by a moderator:
When you fiberglass the inside, the resin soaks into the cadstock and makes it almost clear, kinda cool looking, but dont worry about it if you have any fear.

SpecOps said:
aw cool well it my first try and i do hope so too :D well just a second ago put the outside coat of resin on drying now so in 1hr ill see what it looks like going great so far thanks for all the help on the fourms its helped load e.g reading all the stickys and PMing well only time will tell now and gl femalespartan on your build

oh and more pics soon when resin is dry...

Its no problem :D oooh hope the resin goes well! I'll keep lookin for your pics :p do you know what to do after after you fibreglass it? i havnt got a clue! dya think ya just paint it after that? :D

well the resin is dry looks awsome ( i think ) :D and i managed to fix some of the warping so even more happy now so far its going great the resin was sticky tho couldnt work out how do hold and coat the whole thing. its a lot stronger now and next is to fiber glass it with the kit above. as i promised heres some pics so far....but dont look much diffrent but its now slightly pink!!!
Image9.jpg

Image11.jpg

Image10.jpg

next is resin, bodyfiller , then primer and then paint so im getting there :)

You forgot to mention fiberglassing the inside of the helmet, if you dont do this, the helmet will still be flexible and crack bondo.

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Its no problem :D oooh hope the resin goes well! I'll keep lookin for your pics :p do you know what to do after after you fibreglass it? i havnt got a clue! dya think ya just paint it after that? :D
Go to menards or some other hardware store, get you a pint of bondo for 6-7 dollars, and some bondo brand putty spreaders, and a tube of spot putty. Lightly bondo to hide seems and smoothen areas out. Spot putty fills in the small cracks and spots here and there. Sand it, and keep applying bondo until the smoothness you want is complete, then paint.

Make sure you have proper masks on while resining and fiberglassing.

YOU NEED A RESPIRATOR, OR ELSE YOU WILL GET SICK AFTER LONG EXPOSER TO RESIN FUMES.

You'll also want a dust mask when you sand, you dont want bondo dust getting into your lungs, that's worse than the fumes.

AoBfrost said:
:/ well ive read that you resin the outside then fiberglass it ill prob do that tomorrow no time now then its the bondo, spot putty etc (need to buy thoes two) but prob tomorrow ill fiberglass in and might get some time to bondo but only 16 so i cant be doing things late at night like this and also can be hard to get the materials ( cant drive lol have to wait for mum or dad ) but its comming along nicely :D

I'd do 2 layers of fiberglass in certain areas. You can lay another layer of glass on the inside while the first layer is still wet, then just glob ontop more resin.

Bamabat said:
Looks good so far. Keep up the good work and post pic's along the way.

Bamabat

fiberglassing done was a lot harder than i thought :( but i managed to get it done, Glassing not as good as it could be but fist time ever using it, working in the garage bout 10meters from my back door and when my dad came home fist thing he did was spay the airfreshner all over the place, funny thing is i dont smell it :/ will post pics soon when its cured......

SpecOps said:
fiberglassing done was a lot harder than i thought :( but i managed to get it done, Glassing not as good as it could be but fist time ever using it, working in the garage bout 10meters from my back door and when my dad came home fist thing he did was spay the airfreshner all over the place, funny thing is i dont smell it :/ will post pics soon when its cured......

You don't smell it?... Please use a respirator when fiberglassing. Its not a safety precaution, its a safety neccessity. Its like being a police officer, and not having a bullet proof vest. You may get lucky a few times, but eventually you will get your self killed.

Spase said:
You don't smell it?... Please use a respirator when fiberglassing. Its not a safety precaution, its a safety neccessity. Its like being a police officer, and not having a bullet proof vest. You may get lucky a few times, but eventually you will get your self killed.

oh no used a resperator when fiberglassing im talking about the smell that came from the garrage into the house prob nothing my my dad made a fuss and the garrage is 10merters from the house :/ and thats ventilated too so no dieing for me yet XD

ok as i promised pics, but its gone bad :( realy bad i think, thinking of starting agen but is it save able cause of the major warp in the peak of the cap dosent line up with the chin section :( is this fixable or not ?
Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image14.jpg

and how long dose it take for the smell of resin to go away on your helmet ( mines been left over night and still smells )

A month or two, keep it outside or in the garage.

Make a final model flying squirell helmet, use the supports to it doesnt warp when resining and fiberglassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back