Foam My second build (Mk7)

Pixelcube

Well, after my first build I have been doing some small projects to improve my skills. In addition, I have also switched from hot glue to CA glue which means no more deforming in the sun. So for my second build I hope to make an even better suite with the Mk 7, out of foam, colours have not yet been decided on. I will be posting updates as I progress, with pics as well.

I decided to start on the helmet first which is mostly completed, just need some details and ect.

1647997020574.png
1647997053322.png

1647997103754.png
1647997136433.png
1647997201136.png

Oh yeah, I also now know why most people tend to 3d print or buy helmets instead of building from foam. I can say that my next helmet is probably going to be bought or 3d printed. If I ever make another foam helmet it's definitely going to have no brim.

Small update on this build. I have finished building the front of the torso piece and will connect to the back of it using magnets when done. This has taken me a lot longer than I wanted to and felt like I wasn't using my time efficiently but whatever it's done, I'll see how it goes for the rest of torso.
1651434351231.png

I decided to start on the helmet first which is mostly completed, just need some details and ect.

View attachment 315376View attachment 315377
View attachment 315378View attachment 315379View attachment 315380

Oh yeah, I also now know why most people tend to 3d print or buy helmets instead of building from foam. I can say that my next helmet is probably going to be bought or 3d printed. If I ever make another foam helmet it's definitely going to have no brim.
Love it! It’s coming out really clean. What coating are you going with?

Well its been a while since I did an update got busy with school and making decisions that will affect the next four years of my life but with those out of the way, I can now concentrate on this. So far I have finished the back torso, thrusters, and the base of biceps since the last post. Unfortunately, when I tried on the helmet with the torso piece, it was just too long and big, so I will need to scale it down and redo it. I am hoping to finish the building part by the beginning of August but we'll see.
1657571545764.png
1657571701370.png
1657571736004.png
1657571793165.png

Love it! It’s coming out really clean. What coating are you going with?
I was thinking of doing gray with yellow like agent wash, which is coincidentally also the colours of my school, but I kinda want to also deploy this suit when done so I might go with an official infinite coating to try for T2

I was thinking of doing gray with yellow like agent wash, which is coincidentally also the colours of my school, but I kinda want to also deploy this suit when done so I might go with an official infinite coating to try for T2
if you want to do an official coating but still want that black and yellow you could go with the Space Station Gaming coating!
1658512868651.png

Spectacular quality for foam, though the helmet is a tad asymmetrical. Not a huge issue, it would make having a visor a bit difficult. regardless you're a lot better with foam than i am, great job!

First of all, I just want to say this build looks absolutely amazing! The details, clean and concise cuts, and altogether neatness makes this armor look absolutely amazing. The perfectionist in me loves, loves, loves this suit so far.
Secondly, How do you like using CA glue? Does it have a long cure time or is it more instant like hot glue is? My current suit I'm building is held together with hot glue. Normally that would be fine where I live however recently this summer has gotten really bad and I can tell that deforming might be a problem in the near future if the weather continues this way. It's a bit too late for me to switch adhesives now since I only have my boots armor left to complete but I'm looking for a new adhesive method that I'd be able to use in my living situation for my next build.

First of all, I just want to say this build looks absolutely amazing! The details, clean and concise cuts, and altogether neatness makes this armor look absolutely amazing. The perfectionist in me loves, loves, loves this suit so far.
Secondly, How do you like using CA glue? Does it have a long cure time or is it more instant like hot glue is? My current suit I'm building is held together with hot glue. Normally that would be fine where I live however recently this summer has gotten really bad and I can tell that deforming might be a problem in the near future if the weather continues this way. It's a bit too late for me to switch adhesives now since I only have my boots armor left to complete but I'm looking for a new adhesive method that I'd be able to use in my living situation for my next build.
Thanks!
As for CA glue, it is basically super glue so the cure time is pretty fast. What I am using is lepage liquid super glue which is the Canadian equivalent of the loctite liquid super glue in the states but others also use insta cure from Bob Smith Industries as well. I am also doing a hybrid of super glue and hot glue where I initially glue the pieces with super glue and the interior seems with hot glue.

Thanks!
As for CA glue, it is basically super glue so the cure time is pretty fast. What I am using is lepage liquid super glue which is the Canadian equivalent of the loctite liquid super glue in the states but others also use insta cure from Bob Smith Industries as well. I am also doing a hybrid of super glue and hot glue where I initially glue the pieces with super glue and the interior seems with hot glue.
Thank you so much for the info. I'll have to give it a try for my next project!

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back