My Son Wanted A Master Chief Costume For Halloween...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PdxHosedragger

Here's the back story. I started this a few days before Halloween this year because my kid is really into Halo3. I tried to convince him to go with the Iron Man costume only because it was actually available in a child's size. It was good enough for him, my budget (considering he'll grow out of it by next year) and time frame.

It all started out with 2 cans of Great Stuff, a $5 open faced ski helmet from Goodwill, a new cheap motorcycle visor (I went with clear so he could wear it at night safely while trick or treating), Bondo and paint. It literally had only 3-4 hours in it.

First I laid down some wax paper to protect the wife's Potterybarn dining room table. Then I sprayed the foam all over it. That took 10 minutes. Dried for a few hours.

Photos022.jpg

Photos050.jpg

Photos034.jpg

If I failed at this, At least I knew how to make a larger than life popcorn costume.

Photos004.jpg

I started cutting away foam with a hacksaw (blade only, no frame)

Photos028.jpg

Photos023.jpg

Photos017.jpg

Photos033.jpg

And added some Bondo to stiffen and fill the air pockets.

Photos011.jpg

Strip the protective plastic wrap off the visor, paint...

Photos051.jpg

Photos031.jpg

And now he's a happy 6 year old.

Photos032.jpg

The body suit was actually last years Jango Fett costume. I painted the fabric black with some latex, and the armor sections with the same green as the helmet. It started to wear off the armor on its own and turned into pretty natural looking battle damage! I know it's definitely far from perfect, but it was quick, cheap and close enought to get by! Thanks for looking.

Everyt.jpg

Everyt2.jpg

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
Your kid seems very happy in the last pic.

Very nice! Is that a Jango Fett costume spraypainted? Very Creative!

He was very excited. In fact, all he ever wants to wear is that thing. I wish it was a better helmet, so I guess I'll just have to pep him one for next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job. I envy your ingenuity skills you used very nice indeed. I never would of thought of making the helmet that way. Clever. Again nice job.

I lol'd so hard at the first picture with the helmet on your son. I was scrolling down and I seriously thought that was supposed to be the completed helmet. You improved a lot though, I kinda like the look of the sloped back. Kind of looks like one of the NAS helmets.

:eek: Oh my gosh, dude you have some mad skills to be able to turn that mass of foam into a seriously functional helmet. And I thought I was good with great stuff. I salute your awesomeness! :lol:

That first pic of him with the helmet on.. I can say that was a LOL maker..

Too cute!

You're a great dad in my book. My father never liked anything I was ever interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back