My very first "Reach"/Noble 6 build W.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE TIME!

After a few days of figuring out how all this works, one of the forearms complete! Looking at the scale I'm ok with it as mentioned by Camaro91 once the shoulders/biceps are put together it'll start making sense.
img0353m.jpg

The cleaner side
img0354jb.jpg

I filled some of the seams I filled with hot glue then used the hot tip to smooth it out as much as I can, I know its going to be covered by foamies but I want everything all squared away. I figured the extra glue would reinforce everything as well. So far it's pretty solid.
img0355nt.jpg

I'm going to get the other forearm built and put together then start on the details with the foamies. I'm going out of town for a week and a half this Friday so I want to at least get these forearms sorted out.

Off to bed I'm bagged...thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good so far! Subscribed.

Cool cool cool! I hope not to dissapoint!

Are you using silicone to patch up the joins and bits? If so, what type are you using?

I just use hot glue, once everything has dried and is solid I just add another layer to fill in the gaps and I use the tip of the gun to spread everything evenly. Just be careful not to put too much because it'll just melt the glue underneath resulting in a rough fill. It also gives it that extra re-enforcement.

I'm currently on working on putting the forearms together for real this time, definitely taking my time since I now know how everything goes together and where I'll probably be running into trouble, I'll be test fitting, test fitting, test fitting to make sure all the pieces fit properly. As for the curves I'll be using my trusty heatgun to shape it so it's a nice curve and again test fit, test fit, test fit. I've also come to the conclussion I can live with the scale of the forearms because on the mock up piece I have to slightly squeeze my hand through the front opening, which is fine then I don't have to worry too much about it.

PS: Sorry about the slow progress, I'm just super anal and fussy when it comes to the process (a typical trait in a designer, one would almost say obsessive compulsive lolz), I have the mindset that if I have to force it into place then I'm doing something wrong.

LOL good idea.

I didn't have anything right now to fill the seam so I figured I'd try and since it'll be covered up with foamies why not?

Anyways, I'll be taking a short break from the build, because I'm leaving out of town this Friday and I've got crud tons to do to square away prior to I leave. I do have the pieces for the forearms cut out and ready to go so next update I'll make sure to have both forearms built and the biceps done. Thanks to those that are currently subscribed and I'll see you all on the other side!

After coming back last Sunday I get sick...caught up in work...and I messed up one of the top sections of the forearms so I gotta' rebuild it so back to it I go, hopefully some updates in the next couple of weeks!

ImpactBlue--- I see your online and starting to look at my Kat Foam build.

I see your making the forearm and I will be starting on that this month. So as I work on it I will try and send you step by step pictures of what I am doing with mine.
As far as your foam... I bought that same foam the first year I made my Mark 5 build...... The thing about that foam is the fact that it is hard/stiff and thick..

This foam I am using now I bought at Big Lots. $20 dollars for 46 inches by 93 inches... its ALOT. and its thinner much easier to bend, plus you can add more layers as your talking about LilTyrant doing in the past with the craft foam.

So I would suggest getting a thinner foam. BUT you can work with the foam you have also... You might want to take my tip on cutting out on the back side of piece and put hot glue in it and fold and hold... this method leaves a nice fold looking/curve looking bend/fold.

And as far as your "Base layer of Foam" There is some tough things your trying to do with foam........... You need to remember that foam is "BLOCKY" its hard to hide the lines, but its not impossible. Look at my knee I have made already.... This is how your forearm should look, THEN ADD Craft Foam.
---Also what would help you better understand foam I think.....
-------When using pepakura files...every folding line called, "Mountains or Valleys"...Basically every folding line you need to make into different pieces of foam.
*you might be using to large of pieces (unless you use my method of cutting the backside of the large pieces and hot glue then fold and hold...)
Also you will be needing to cut out 45 degree angles on the edge of your foam pieces ....
See this is problem with foam......PICTURES WORTH 100000 Words...
5.jpg

Simply cut a angle off....
6-1.jpg

And No hot glue should show on the "Face" side...
16-1.jpg

(Where I drew the black line is where I did that backside glue/cutting method... this is a good way to create that "curve your looking for"
15-1.jpg

THIS IS THE BACKSIDE method of hot glueing and holding into place so the curve forms.

Always add the "Extra glue" to the backside...

--Hope this helps alittle and Your just now working with foam and it was EXTREMELY hard for me to understand and I'm still learning myself xD
Just keep practicing and one last thing...

Test fitting is good, but if your that worried about it, cut out card board pieces super fast and glue/tape them together and put it on! =D FOAM COST MONEY! Haha, Good luck!

Always remember your never -Nogood!

Thanks Nogood! I was intrigued with some of your solutions and applied it to mine, solved some of the issues.

Small update so at least people know I'm still working on this thing....EVER SO SLOWLY....Forearm update ver. 3 and I'm satisfied with it. I picked up a dremel at last which made things SO MUCH EASIER especially angled grinds to get the pieces to fit. I started making some minor mistakes 'cus I'm getting tired and it's way past my bedtime for a 72 year old....(not really 72 but I feel it...)

img0358w.jpg

Masking tape are the unglued parts, just there for the sake of being there so I can try it on.

img0363tc.jpg

Dremels....I love them....makes life easier and more precise.

img0360tm.jpg

IT FITS!!!!!! It actually legitimately fits, I'll be wearing an under armor long sleeve compression shirt under so then it'll really be snug as a bug!

img0361pg.jpg

I'm happy with the scale, the first one was much too big, I'm a really small dude and if I kept going forward with the original I'll just looking like walking foam...

img0362hk.jpg

Another view

So the plan now is to get the other side done and start on the craft foam/foamies details and junk.

Thanks for looking! ^_^

UPDATE!
Forearms complete! They both fit, are relatively solid and now time to progress to adding the detail. Having the proper tools sure do make the job go much more efficiently and cleaner. It was worth it so far.

img0364fz.jpg

Re-enforced the inside

img0367nk.jpg

img0365hs.jpg

Snug as a bug

Detailing tomorrow with craft foam!

Here's an update, the forearms are done! Cutting out the templates for the biceps/shoulders so that should be up in a few days/weeks.

img0368vs.jpg

I threw in a last minute detail at the cuff, it works and I'm satisfied with it.

img0369s.jpg

Still fits!

Thanks for looking!

Edit: The pics make it look pretty rough...they're a lot cleaner in person.

Hahaha, looking tons better than that first one! You've been practicing with foam =P

The more and more foam work you do the better it will look, so I'd do the chest near last... thats just me :)

It looks really good with the craft foam! Very nice! Keep it up and hope to see the shoulders done!! Super cool =P

Looking good buddy, can't wait to see more

Thanks so much!

Hahaha, looking tons better than that first one! You've been practicing with foam =P

The more and more foam work you do the better it will look, so I'd do the chest near last... thats just me :)

It looks really good with the craft foam! Very nice! Keep it up and hope to see the shoulders done!! Super cool =P

It really helps when you have the proper tools for sure as well, the dremel I bought, as basic as it is, is the best thing I have purchased this entire build. I'm saving the chest for last, I'm going to take your suggestion in using scrap cardboard and piece everything together because I need a tangible visual reference I can use when putting the final piece together. I honestly frequent back and forth on LilTyrant's build and the precision she has done on her build is just absolutely astonishing and I aspire to be that precise. There are other builds as well that I've found tips and tricks and I've learnt from everything on this site and still am learning more and more so here's to pushing forward on this. Christmas break is coming up soon so I can finally take the time to really dedicate to this build.

Thanks all for the views and comments, keep them coming! It helps so much!

Those forearms look awesome! Your detail work is spot on. It makes me want to re-visit my own forearms and add more detail...

To the garage!

Those forearms look awesome! Your detail work is spot on. It makes me want to re-visit my own forearms and add more detail...

To the garage!

Haha thanks! It's actually the simpler foam template from L3X's database, in the future it'll be the crazy intense ones that LilTyrant has.

Forearms look great. :cool

Thanks so much! :)

I haven't given up on the project yet, I just haven't had time, I can't wait for Christmas break for work so I can have some quality me time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back