My Weta Odst Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's just the picture. I wore a military BDU jacket under it and it fit fine (I had to be careful when I put it on so I didn't damage it).

Didn't get a whole lot done today, I've had a migraine all day (I think I need to drink more water during the day or something...). I'm doing the finishing touches on the right gauntlet right now, then I'll be starting work on the left bicep plate.

Update:

Finished left bicep plate. Doesn't really need pics, it looks exactly like the other one. :p

Long time no update?

I ordered these gloves two days ago:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/160269/Knuckle-Protection-Gloves-Cowhide-Leather

They look almost EXACTLY like the ODST gloves.

I'm also working on a diagram for the fabric parts of the armor. I never noticed that the ODST wears four levels of clothing: undersuit (I think it might be a black jumpsuit); a layer with a semi-protected arm joint, chest, shoulders, and forearms; a layer for the chest rig, which also has shoulder pads which the bicep plates rest on; and the armor pads themselves. I'm estimating this suit to weight about 20 lbs when I'm done.

I didn't get the forearm piece done yesterday because I was busy, but I should be able to do it today. And the thigh piece won't take too long, so I'm not very concerned about getting that done in time.

UPDATE:

Just went to a local fabric store. I bought $76 worth of buckles and fabric. I should be set for materials now... except maybe the fiberglass. I have two 3 yard by 3 yard pieces, but it might not be enough.

Slowly creeping along... Almost finished with the forearm piece (I have like 4 more pieces to glue on to it), then I'm gonna start working on the thigh pieces. Tomorrow I will start resining parts, I think.

Very much behind schedule. Just finished the other forearm piece and started work on the thigh pieces. I enlisted a friend to help me cut pieces out, so I should have the thigh pieces done by tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have not had time to resin anything yet. This weekend (Sat-Sun) I'm going to be gone to a family thing. Hopefully it won't eat up too much time.

got more done... see sig for details. Pics tomorrow probably.

Got the first layer of resin on the helmet. Tomorrow I'll be putting the fiberglass and resin on the inside of the helmet, and I will move on to the other pieces I have done while it dries.

I still haven't made the final visor, because I'm waiting until I get the helmet fiberglassed to fit it.

I also got my gloves. Pic:

gloveitself.jpg

Under the reinforced knuckle, it has a digital urban-esque pattern. It looks pretty good.

The gloves really complete the forearm pieces, I think:

armpiecesandgloves.jpg

I'd post a picture of the helmet now that it's resined, but it looks exactly the same as it did when it WASN'T resined, just kinda... more yellowy.

Just fiberglassed some of the inside of the helmet. Since this is the first time I've fiberglassed ANYTHING, I decided to test out the thickness I wanted to use on the dome of the helmet.

A 2mm thick layer of fiberglass seems to suffice. The dome of the helmet is rock solid and I'm not even done fiberglassing it yet (doing a layer on the outside. I want one outside so I can sand it down so it looks smoother).

So, so far, I'm happy with the results. Later today I might go and finish fiberglassing the inside of the helmet - or at least getting a sizable chunk of it done, because I'm almost out of hardening solution (the small tube the resin comes with sure doesn't hold much...).

Oh, and I learned about resin fumes the hard way. I got a headache from using something I THOUGHT would protect me from the fumes - a carbon filter mask.

Off to read more stickies... pics up when I have a spare minute.

ummm... you just posted 7 times in a row, your real lucky your warn level didn't just put a hole in your ceiling

rvb18 said:
ummm... you just posted 7 times in a row, your real lucky your warn level didn't just put a hole in your ceiling

I don't see any major problem with it since there's a decent amount of time between each post (about three days). I think in cases where there isn't any activity other than the OP it's okay to update the thread with a new post after a few days, four to five days might be safer though. Don't go making a habit of doing in a lot of topics though, that'd be pushing it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
rvb18 said:

Just updating the thread. I also made sure there was a decent amount of time between posts...

Belakor said:
I don't see any major problem with it since there's a decent amount of time between each post (about three days). I think in cases where there isn't any activity other than the OP it's okay to update the thread with a new post after a few days, four to five days might be safer though. Don't go making a habit of doing in a lot of topics though, that'd be pushing it ;)

Yeah, this is the only thread I even planned on doing multi-posts in, because it's a project thread of mine. I'll try spacing it out more if it is a problem to anyone.

Kyon said:
Don't suppose I could get theat torso pep to mess with?

All of the pep files I downloaded were from this page: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s...134442&hl=odst weta&fromsearch=1&#entry134442

Thanks.

The paper seems to be strong enough. It's been holding up to resin and everything fine, and as long as I put the completed pep's in a safe place they don't get damaged at all.

looking good man keep up the good work im actually working on the weta suit as well i just finished fiberglassing the chest and stomach pieces man that stuff is tacky lookin good cant wait to see the finished product

Thanks!

Some pics of the helmet, now that it's resined and fiberglassed. Next step is bondo.

Front:

dsc0012mn.jpg

Side:

dsc0015yf.jpg

dsc0016nz.jpg

Back:

dsc0017nw.jpg

Many layers of fiberglass:

dsc0019rj.jpg

Now if only I could get the rest of the pieces this far, I'd be guaranteed having it done by the 22nd.

Edit: Images resized for... obvious reasons.

Deathcoreknight said:
THIS AWSOME AFTER MY GUNDAM GETS DONE ILL GET MY H3 ODST DONE AS WELLL YAH BTW CHECK OUT MY GUNDAM HELM IT ROCKS NICE JOB AND KEP IT UP

Caps necessary?

@ Deathcoreknight

Caps lock = cruise control.

Anyway, good luck on that armor man. The helmet looks good so far, but I can tell it's gonna be hell to do an entire suit (if you take it that far).

@ gingersnapples

Yeah, I keep forgetting to do that... I better fix that.

On topic:

Hehe... I just went and checked on my helmet (it's almost dry). I accidentally dropped it and it made the sound helmets make when they hit the ground (that hollow "clunking" sound). This could easily protect against paintballs and airsoft BBs at this point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back