N00B from Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

glycerine

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeremy, I live in Virginia just west of D.C. Don't remember where I first heard of pepakura, but I just recently downloaded the software and started printing some Mk VI armor. Found this forum as well along the way and hoping that I can glean some good info, tips and tricks from the rest of you.
I've done some basic fiberglass work and casting, but VERY basic. Something I think I could use the most help on is the final painting, especially getting that "weathered" look. But it will be a while before I get there.
Question for some of you other "noobs". Do you find yourself wanting to finish ALL of your pieces first and THEN start with the fiber glass and bondo, or do you go ahead and fiber glass after you get a single part done? I haven't even finished glueing up my first piece, but once I do, I'd like to go ahead and fiber glass and bondo it just to get an idea of how the final shape will look. Do you forsee any issues with doing it that way?
Also, what "weight" of fiberglass are you guys using? Is the main difference between weights just the thickness of the cloth?

Welcome to the 405th! If you havent already I suggest you take a look at the All-In-One memebrs introduction guide here. Along with the stickies, you will know everything there is to know about armor making. From pep to painting.

I personally want to get most, if not all, of my pieces pepped out before I start the resin and fiberglass stage. Its just out of personal preference really and it shouldn't hurt to resin and fiberglass after a single piece. Although, I would do a piece that wont take long to rebuild just in case you ruin the piece during those stages. As for the weight question, I'm not sure what you are talking about with weights. I personally have never seen cloths of different thicknesses, I have been know to be blind sometimes though, but I can say that most people get basic fiber cloth sold at either Walmart or home depot. Then would layer it to get the desired thickness. Hope this helps and happy building!

Ok. Yeah, I went out to Home Depot just a while ago and saw the fiber cloth that they had. It doesn't even have a weight on it, but I was looking online earlier today to see if I could find some better deals and was seeing 3oz., 4oz., 8oz., etc. Do you have a personal preference on the amount of layers that you build under your pieces?

By the way, I see you are from GA. I used to live in St. Mary's and went to college at Georgia Southern in Statesboro. My brother and his wife live there as well.

I usually pick up my stuff over at Walmart, but I'm sure some of the more experienced members could give you tips on better deals. In my suit, I'm going to do about 2 layers for my suit, because I expect it get some abuse. One should be enough though. Yea, i moved to GA about 3 years ago with my family and really enjoy it here. I'm all the way on the other side of Atlanta though lol.

I find Advanced Auto and Autozone both have good prices out here for most of the fiberglass cloth, but Wal-Mart has the better prices on Bondo Body Filler. Though, found a place nearby that sells fiberglass by the roll (36in x 50yds) for a little over $200. Don't remember the weight though... I'll get back to you on that.

YES I MUST AGREE more VA Spartans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in the Hampton area.

Just to Eco what has been said already check out the Sticky's if you haven't already It will help you so much!

When it comes to making your suit it is all relative to the person. The approach that i am taking is as i gather the money and materials to perform the fiberglass and Bondo I am continuing to build my other parts in the pep.

Good luck and if you are in the Hampton Roads area drop me a pm.

Yeah, the Wally World out near Dulles mall has great prices on Bondo body filler, but Autozone and Advanced Auto have better prices on the resin and fiberglass.

And 6oz. fiberglass cloth is what I have been using for other projects. Seems to be some of the most common. It'll be what I use when I'm ready for that stage.

Hey, Welcome to the 405th! Definitely check out that intro guide, very helpful to keep from getting lost around here, it's easy to do! good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back