Need advice on a large pepakura "helmet/mask" (Hornet from Hollow knight)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nybbas

So the 405th just kept popping up when I was googling around for guides and info on how to best go apart making my Hollow Knight masks, so rather than waste another hour scouring the internet, I figure I should just ask you guys directly. Here is my problem.

I made a 3d approximation of the character Hornets head from the game Hollow Knight

hornet reference.jpg

This is what I came out with after everything was modeled, unfolded, cut and glued..

22091601_10155059305385698_1046212199_n.jpg
22091599_10155059305265698_510151325_n.jpg

Right now, I have a mostly complete mask of the Hollow Knight character done, that I reinforced using papier mache and paper clay.

21905674_10155043535265698_1459255561_n.jpg

Looking at this massive Hornet mask though, I feel the paper mache+paper clay is going to not be strong enough, and is going to end up way way too heavy, after I fill the imperfection etc, especially with those long ass hollow horns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I use some sort of resin? Should I just go with the papier mache and clay? Should I cut the horns off, and reinforce them separately, then reattach them, and possibly add some sort of solid skeleton to the inside of them? I would like it to be on the more durable side, but I want whatever is going to make it light enough so that it doesn't break your neck when wearing it.

Any and all suggestions are incredibly appreciated. Thank you!

So the 405th just kept popping up when I was googling around for guides and info on how to best go apart making my Hollow Knight masks, so rather than waste another hour scouring the internet, I figure I should just ask you guys directly. Here is my problem.

I made a 3d approximation of the character Hornets head from the game Hollow Knight

View attachment 249859

This is what I came out with after everything was modeled, unfolded, cut and glued..

View attachment 249856
View attachment 249857

Right now, I have a mostly complete mask of the Hollow Knight character done, that I reinforced using papier mache and paper clay.

View attachment 249858

Looking at this massive Hornet mask though, I feel the paper mache+paper clay is going to not be strong enough, and is going to end up way way too heavy, after I fill the imperfection etc, especially with those long ass hollow horns.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I use some sort of resin? Should I just go with the papier mache and clay? Should I cut the horns off, and reinforce them separately, then reattach them, and possibly add some sort of solid skeleton to the inside of them? I would like it to be on the more durable side, but I want whatever is going to make it light enough so that it doesn't break your neck when wearing it.

Any and all suggestions are incredibly appreciated. Thank you!
Well, I know I'm a little biased, but eva foam can defiantly work for this. I'm sure this could be peped. I didn't know how far you want to take this or your budget but a slush cast would work As Well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back