Need Help On Strengthening And Carving Materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zafir20

Hey people I'm quite new here.
Wow...
Browsing through the forums, and looking at the cool armour you guys are doing, got me inspired to do one for myself!

But.. I kinda need help...

I started of with simple pep files like the MC helmet and the assault rifle, until, I saw Justanuthercap's and WetOkole's CQB helmets.
That got me, inspired, to make one for myself.

Okay what I need help with is that, you guys are using bondos and fibreglass right?
Well, here in Singapore, its really hard to get Fibreglass and they dont even sell bondo here!

So if anyone can recomend me with any substitutes to replace them, I would be really thankful.

I'm only 15 and I dont think they'll let met buy fibreglass untill I'm 18..
(Its the law here)

Uh, not to bag on you or anything, but correct grammer and spelling is usually look for in threads.
Just to let you know.

As for substitutes, there are some, such as truck liner spray and the hot glue method for the inside.
Of course, these substitutes aren't as good as tradition fiberglass, but if all else fail, I guess you can go with those.

And also, maybe you can reason with your parents to get certain items, such as fiberglass resin and such.

Thank you so much, really appreciate it...

Ok I'll try them out.

How about bondo? Anyone know any substitutes for bondo?

Helljumpah said:
Thank you so much, really appreciate it...

Ok I'll try them out.

How about bondo? Anyone know any substitutes for bondo?

Well, from what I heard, if the pieces are detailed enough, you don't really need bondo. But, of course, I'm not 100% sure, just throwing out what I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
AoBfrost said:
If I remember correct, they do sell them, but in boat/marine shops.

Oh okay thanks... That's for the bondo right?

Try this stuff: http://www.aquaresin.com/ and if you can't use fiberglass try using felt. As for a Bondo substitute there really isn't a real substitute you could check your local hardware store, or Wal-Mart (or whatever that equivalent is over there) for epoxy putty (Mighty Putty, Loctite, etc there is a few brand names for it) it's about $4 per tube of the stuff and it's sandable.

For a guide on epooxy putty this gives you a good idea of what it does: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabricatio...6k-warning.html

You could also follow the hotglue method as listed above.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
Try this stuff: http://www.aquaresin.com/ and if you can't use fiberglass try using felt. As for a Bondo substitute there really isn't a real substitute you could check your local hardware store, or Wal-Mart (or whatever that equivalent is over there) for epoxy putty (Mighty Putty, Loctite, etc there is a few brand names for it) it's about $4 per tube of the stuff and it's sandable.

For a guide on epooxy putty this gives you a good idea of what it does: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabricatio...6k-warning.html

You could also follow the hotglue method as listed above.

Cheers,
Kensai

:) Hey thanks!

I'll try to look for the aqua resin here, and the epoxy putty.
It would be better if the putty comes in tubs though.

And how do you use felt?

Helljumpah said:
:) Hey thanks!

I'll try to look for the aqua resin here, and the epoxy putty.
It would be better if the putty comes in tubs though.

And how do you use felt?

Felt is a soft material over the in local craft store, it can be used instead of fiberglass when using real resin. I'm not sure if applying this Aqua Resin on it will work. I was just offering up a bunch of possibilities for you, take a careful look at each of them. You're still young and the materials we work with here can be quite dangerous to your health, safer options for reinforcement are cardboard and hotglue. Make sure to read all the safety material for the items listed before using them. If ever in doubt look at the sticky for the Q&A team and find someone off that list that has the knowledge on what you are asking for and send them a private message. Enjoy your stay, and happy armor making.

Cheers,
Kensai

Bondo is just the brand name for car body filler.
All Auto stores should have it, they should also have fiberglass resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back