Needler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I have been thinking about making a needler for a while now. Some people have said they put a coat of resin on top of a glue stick and use that. Personally I have been looking to make mine glow.

There are a couple options for this:
- use crystals you can buy off the internet, they are close in size, but light doesn't pass through them as well as many would like it to.
- find transparent rods. Use very fine sand paper to rough them up slightly. Drill a hole on the bottom side, and insert whatever color led you want them, to glow as. Insert 1 per needle and you are all set. I would also suggest using black paint to seal the LED's in on the bottom and to force most of the light through the needle.

I know everybody so far has said your needler is too big, but it really depends...
For someone going as a Marine or ODST it'd be perfect because in game the needlers looked huge compared to them, but for a Spartan it needs to be smaller. Looking good though. Can't wait to see it completed

You could strengthen the whole thing by sealing all holes and pouring some smooth cast 320 inside and sloshing it around the inside. This would make it pretty strong and make it easier to do the detail work on the out side.

Just a suggestion.

Lee I love the way you think and yes that works very well. I used that method on my CQB and if you look in that threas you can see I detailed that entire helmet with absolutely NO BONDO. I love the idea Lee.

Ithica

Wow, this gun looks fantastic! I always thought the needler would be the most beastly gun to make. That, and the Brute Shot. Good luck finding something to use for the crystals.

I can save you the trouble of trying to come up with needles... Just give me the dimensions, and I'll work them up... I have the crystal clear resin, and the purple tint... I was going to be making them for another needler project... I can make them up for about %10 over cost...

That looks good! I have done the same build, and I have to say, there was a lot of shoving small pieces into small areas. (Nobody make a joke on that... please?)

I am still debating whether I should finish it or not, but Ill check to see how this turns out to help my decision.

Good Luck!

Alright.

This is the material I intend to use for my needles. Trying to decide on triangle or square

Triangle
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.a...duct%5Fid=21164

Square
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.a...duct%5Fid=21156

Hex
too expensive to really consider, needs to be fabricated, all the hex shapes are solid color, not clear.

For triangle, the flat side would face forward, the point backwards, file it off to a point and dull the point down. Since the whole thing would be lightly sanded, the brighter the LED you mount beneath each crystal will make them glow even brighter. Bright enough purple LED, and the needles will glow purple in regular room light.

i had an idea. maybe make a test one out of wood, then make a cast and make clear needles out of resin.

then install some pink leds in the body so they glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back