New Armor by a New Armorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILENTrampancy

Hey, I'm new to this forum, if it wasn't already blatantly obvious, and i thought i'd start a thread here in the noob section as a journal to keep track of my project and have it open to community criticism. If that's not allow here... well, i'm sure some nice mod will come around to ban me or delete the thread... Hope not.

Anyways, without further stalling:

Basic Concept: Make a versatile Undersuit with snap on points and ratchet fasteners for attaching modular armor pieces.

==> This above and beyond is the main goal of my design. I want to be able to make something that my coworker and I won't be stuck with Forever once we've reached a finished product and that we can continue to build on long after we've reached that point.

The armor isn't necessarily Halo based, though that is certainly one of our later goals. Really, as we're new to this, we're just going to run with whatever we make and make that look as good as possible before we even think of replicating something from the Games.

Where We're Starting: Contrary to what some people have posted (yes, i've been lurking here for a while >___>) we're going to start with the helmet.

==> My reason being that it's the single most complex and diverse part of the armor. It's design will use something that will be required in every other piece of armor and allow us to learn the most whilst remaining fairly small and manageable.

What We've Done So Far: Well, i'm bullheaded a bit. I refuse to follow any posted tutorials or use papakura models /whatever. I want to at least attempt figuring this out on my own before resorting to any outside help.

That said, I've already thought up something that's, as i understand it, somewhat similar to papakura. We're using identical and symmetrical Octagons to construct a paper dumby of the base of the helmet. On top of this, we're going to build and detail in the helmet. Our design is, hopefully, going to look realistic because it will be constructed realistically. The base will be just that. Armor plating and detailing will be built on top of this.

The armor plating, however, is going to be the most difficult and time consuming part, Mainlly because i want to use actually metal plating. My friend shares this desire. I know this will mean the final product will be heavy and a bit unwieldy, but that's for us to deal with. I figure if we were making this for somebody else, comfort would be a higher priority. Our aim is for... not authenticity, but Believability. We want the armor to look and feel as real as possible. This means scaling, weight, feel and look. We want you to punch the chest plate and break your fingers. We want the armor to take a hammer to the shoulder and deflect it like it were a ping pong ball.

Soo, that's our ambition. Again, sorry if this is the wrong section. I didn't read the FaQs very thoroughly because i just wanted to post this before i lost my nerve. Hopefully tomorrow night i'll have some images to post to justify this thread a bit.

Sounds like a good goal to have, what ever armour you make I hope it goes well. looking forward to some pics

Thanks ^_____^ I'll be sure to upload some. I'm gonna head over to my friends house in a bit to start putting the dumby base together. I have no idea what i'm doing, but luckily i cut out liiiike 100 paper octagons. Plenty of room for trial and error. If it comes together reasonably well, i'll have it done tonight. Not dry, of course, but i'll put a pic up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back