New Member who needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatballmike64

hello everyone..i just signed up today because i am now wanting to finally attempt to make a master chief costume..my question is how do i download the correct file to print and trace on the foam..im asking as in for my size and height. is there a download that i need to look for? im 5'6 and 130lbs..any help would be much appreciated

Hey Meatball, welcome to the 405th! There are no specific files for you to download based on your build, you will have to scale the patterns to your size. I haven't read through it but I have heard other members mention this guide here which may help you. Other than that, a pretty popular program for scaling armour is Armorsmith - an application which allows you to create a virtual avatar based on your measurements, where you can then import 3D models or Pep files to scale around your avatar. With that you can export the 3D files or print out the Pep files to get started with foam. You can even unfold 3D models, just like in Pepakura.

Hey Meatball, welcome to the 405th! There are no specific files for you to download based on your build, you will have to scale the patterns to your size. I haven't read through it but I have heard other members mention this guide here which may help you. Other than that, a pretty popular program for scaling armour is Armorsmith - an application which allows you to create a virtual avatar based on your measurements, where you can then import 3D models or Pep files to scale around your avatar. With that you can export the 3D files or print out the Pep files to get started with foam. You can even unfold 3D models, just like in Pepakura.
dang ok ..ya im very creative as in i love doing rebuilds and repaints ..this will be my FIRST EVER cosplay/costume but the sad part is im very computer illiterate..do you happen to know anyone who would be willing to do the scaling for me if i give them my size/ dimensions and they can just email me the sheets so i can print out myself .obviously id pay for the help

what Material do you plan to use? Foam, fibreglass and 3D printing are the common ways. it’s probably easier to learn scaling yourself actually since it’s pretty common to get it wrong a couple times. in pepakura designer the easiest way to scale is by using the largest measurement of the model and measuring it against yourself. Then build it and adjust as needed. you won’t be able to skew the model though.

what Material do you plan to use? Foam, fibreglass and 3D printing are the common ways. it’s probably easier to learn scaling yourself actually since it’s pretty common to get it wrong a couple times. in pepakura designer the easiest way to scale is by using the largest measurement of the model and measuring it against yourself. Then build it and adjust as needed. you won’t be able to skew the model though.
i plan on using foam since its will probably be the easiest route...see thats the thing when it comes to computers im not really the best lol i can make things and do alot of awesome repaints and what not its just ugggh computers is not my cup of tea..thats why i figured id would be so much help if someone could just scale everything and that way i can just print them out and start doin the stencils

I’d still recommend learning how to scale. Look for YouTube videos To start probably. if you’re willing to put in the time to build the suit, you should really try to learn the program.
Pepakura is one of the simplest 3D programs out there. The time someone would have to put in to rescale and rearrange the pieces for you is quite a lot for a whole suit. Especially since it’s common to have to rescale a lot of the pieces again after the first versions have been built and tried on.
first Step is download the program, open a file in it and spin it around a bit, click stuff learn what certain buttons do. you can zoom in/out, spin the model and pan around in the 3d menu. dont just read or watch tutorials, follow along with the program open.
To rescale the Part youll go to the settings tab -> change scale -> set scale. a new dialogue box will show up and you can change the scale there. the default i believe is in mm so make sure you measure yourself in the same units or change it to inches from the settings menu ->unit of length -> inches
the left is the 3d view and the right is the 2d paper view. in the 2d paper view you can click the pieces and they will highlight on the 3d view, its really helpful to use this while you\re building so you can see the angles you'll need and where the pieces go in relation to each other.

if you rescale it and the peices end up in the margins in the 2d view you can drag them around so they are organized again.

1631495324048.png
1631495373800.png

to change the paper size go Settings -> Print and paper settings. this box will appear and you can adjust the paper size.
its important that your paper size actually matches the size you use otherwise the scale will change.
1631495961682.png

anyway, first step is to play with it a bit and if you have specific questions you can ask google or post on here and someone will have an answer for you.

There is a scaling guide in the tutorial section that I used that worked for me. It may help you get started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back