New recruit here, with his first question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I am done cutting out my pieces for the top half of my helmet and onto the gluing stage, is there something I should do in advance, like getting some sort of mold to keep the helmet's shape? I am currently using a hot glue gun to hold the pieces together until I have to apply the resin.
Dont just build the helmet. Make little chunks. Like he4thbar said, working symmetrically helps alot. If you build half the jaw, then the other half, and break it into chunks, then when you finished everyone, all you have to do is glue eight or so peices together. This is also good for if you accidentally mess up really bad, you can easily rebuild the peice instead of trying to seperate glue or restarting the helmet.

Cardboard supports and popsicle sticks also do a good job of supporting the helmet and keeping its shape, while preventing warping and it caving in on itself during resin

Also the benefit of hot glue is if you mess up sometimes you can hold the end of the hot glue gun to the paper and let the glue remelt so you can take it apart and try again as long as it doesn't tear

Ok I am finally back!

So I am done cutting and gluing the pep pieces together, and I am getting ready for fiberglassing. I just want to make sure that these are the right products I should be using for that stage, especially the respirator.

IMG_0165[1].JPG

Welcome aboard! I made the foam version of your armour (I am in awe of people who have the patience for pepakura).

Really looking forward to watching your build.

Also, is it necessary to use Rondo?
It isnt necessary at all, and if you do, it is normally applied on the inside of the helmet and sloshed around. For resin application, work from the bottom up, and apply a very light coat. Just enough to make the paper look wet. Then do two on the inside slightly more heavy. Then you can fibreglass the inside, and later bondo the outside.
I would say sandpaper wise, an 120 will be your friend later, and 60-80 grit if you do heavy coats(this will take significantly longer to do because it is thick applications. Keep it thin and in small sections. You can always add more bondo later).

Watch this video. It will be your best friend :)

all of his videos have very valuable information if you want to know more. I know it is long but it is absolutly worth it.

I rondod the inside for smooth reinforcement after fiberglass clothing it. Bondo on the outside, I have been using(I used a palm sander at 100 fro the big areas but 60-80 is good for hand sanding down clumps) 100-120 grit on grinding down by hand. then plan to follow up with 220 & 320 grit. maybe some higher grit if i want a buttery finish. I wanna see some update pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back