New Surfacing Technique...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent ZX

I was messing around with a plate at my friends house, and now that we have finally decided on what we are going to use for our suits... We wanted a very, VERY durable finish. Not to mention usable. We cut the plate in shape of the hand piece. For most flat surfaces of the suit, coat with Rhino Liner. The best paintable one out there is Herculiner. Its a permanent application. Weather-proof. Can withstand extreme lows, and extreme highs in temperature, and will not crack, or break. Its hard, tough, and flexible enough for major wear and abuse. After coating with this stuff, run a orbital sander on it real quick, but not to totally smooth it out. Or just use a coat of resin. Just enough to get rid of the popcorn coat-like layer. You want the surface to have a orange peel like affect. Then primer, and paint as normal. The uneven surface leaves behind a worn metal look. They sometimes call this orange peel when painting cars. The Herculiner won't really allow you to get a glossy surface either unless you put a lot of paint on. But the less shiny, the better. Got the idea when some guy at work was talking about lining his ATV with it. Stuff really is as good as it says. Good way to really seal up your suit from anything too. Wish my friend wasn't being a hog, and let me have the plate to take pictures. Guess he wanted to try to duplicate the plate in a different way, using conventional materials, since the materials at work were getting to be a pain to sneek out. Compare materials to some stuff we can find at the store, or make our own. I did my part by making the plate, his is to make an alternate. Let you know the results. In the mean time, I am going to start the hand skeletons to build up on. Finally got the scaling right.

To tell you the truth, this stuff is the same stuff they line the bed of pick-up trucks. That black rough layer of plastic-like stuff in the back. They use it to coat marine vehicles, and just about anything that is used in construction. Tractors, bull dozers, dump trucks, off roading vehicles, and just about anything that is going to be exposed to rough terrain, dirt, water, and extremely heavy abuse. I guess it costs like $800 for places to give your truck a quick few sprays, and its a life-time thing. I had completely forgot about this stuff until the guy at work started talking about it. But the roll on, or paintable one can be found in most automotive stores. As for weight... It does add a little weight, but not if you use only 1-2 coats. Its not noticeable most likely. But weight is not an issue. For me, and my friend, we are hoping our suits will end up as heavy as can be. We don't want light suits at all. We are estimating around 60 pounds when complete using the materials we are using including the gel layered pressure suit underneath, but still trying to come up with substitutes so it doesn't take so long, since the government material I planned on using is going to be a b**** to get home through security check points. I have tomorrow off, and also Monday cause it's a holiday, so I am hoping I can get some material bent, and folded into place as skeletons to start building up on. We already have an idea on what we are going to do.

Rhino Liner is the cream of the crop man. My fathers Ford Explorer Sport-Trac SE has that on him bed and we have dropped rocks to bricks to a rusty saw without a care and not a scratch yet. The finish on your piece will outlast your interest in the costume, I guarentee you that.

I'll go to zeibart and ask them

"can you spray armor"
"armor? what the heck do you mean"
"masterchief's armor"
"whhhaaat? you want me to do what to masterchief's armor?!"

But yes like you said the spray can or roll on is cheaper, stores always jack up the price for labor if you get someone else to do it.

Er..... how does it work? I mean, does it fill or make any cracks? can it be used on cardboard? How heavy does this stuff go on? How expensive is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back