new to making armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor068

Hey everyone, I'm completely new to making armor and was hoping to get some tips on how to get started. I want to make this recon armor from halo reach but in black and yellow and was hoping someone could show me how to get started.

Attachments

• halo reach recon.png
    halo reach recon.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 130
Hey everyone, I'm completely new to making armor and was hoping to get some tips on how to get started. I want to make this recon armor from halo reach but in black and yellow and was hoping someone could show me how to get started.
Hello. Welcome to the gang/group and first step to halo armor building. What you will need first, since your doing foam, is the material to cut the foam(box cutter/ exacto knife), something to glue the pieces of foam(contact cement(barge, dap) hot glue gun, and alot of room to do this. Most importantly u need the templates from here to print out(and pepakura) for your reach build. If u need any help, we are here to assist you fellow crafter/cosplayer. Will look forward to your recon build ^_^

Hello! Reach recon is best recon imo. Welcome to the forums! We have wonderful tutorials on how to get started over in the Tutorials section of the megathreads and so much more all around! Since you're looking to get into foam, Spiderboy has given you a great once over on the basics needed and if you have any more questions about specifics just ask and we'll be happy to point you in the right direction! I look forward to your recon build and can't wait to see what else you make!

Tossing my two cents in, I would use loctite liquid glue for connecting all the armor pieces and going over the seams on the back with hot glue to reinforce it

Hello! Reach recon is best recon imo. Welcome to the forums! We have wonderful tutorials on how to get started over in the Tutorials section of the megathreads and so much more all around! Since you're looking to get into foam, Spiderboy has given you a great once over on the basics needed and if you have any more questions about specifics just ask and we'll be happy to point you in the right direction! I look forward to your recon build and can't wait to see what else you make!
I'm really struggling to find any halo reach recon pepakuras I can't find the helmet shoulders or chest piece

I'm really struggling to find any halo reach recon pepakuras I can't find the helmet shoulders or chest piece
Have you tried looking in "The Armory?" If you had looked into the Tutorial Section that Angus recommended you would have seen that The Armory section of the site is where all of our pepakura files and templates are housed.

For example, here is the Armory Entry for Halo Reach's Recon Armor permutation. It includes the helmet and shoulders in both standard Pep and a version that has been optimized for Foam.

As for the Chest, unlike in Halo 3, there is no real dedicated Recon Armor permutation for the chest. Like in much of Reach, many of the Chest permutations are just different allocations of accessories attached to the standard base base chest armor. In the case of the "Tactical/Recon" Chest it is the placement of the additional pouches.
HR_Recon_Chest_Icon.png

You can check the "Accessories" entry for making items, but, as the pouches are not "hard armor" items, there might not be files for them, and they may have to replicated free hand.

Have you tried looking in "The Armory?" If you had looked into the Tutorial Section that Angus recommended you would have seen that The Armory section of the site is where all of our pepakura files and templates are housed.

For example, here is the Armory Entry for Halo Reach's Recon Armor permutation. It includes the helmet and shoulders in both standard Pep and a version that has been optimized for Foam.

As for the Chest, unlike in Halo 3, there is no real dedicated Recon Armor permutation for the chest. Like in much of Reach, many of the Chest permutations are just different allocations of accessories attached to the standard base base chest armor. In the case of the "Tactical/Recon" Chest it is the placement of the additional pouches.
View attachment 304624

You can check the "Accessories" entry for making items, but, as the pouches are not "hard armor" items, there might not be files for them, and they may have to replicated free hand.
Thank you everyone for the help I really appreciate it yall are awesome!

does anyone know how to scale and fold with pepakura i really have no clue on how to do any of this

does anyone know how to scale and fold with pepakura i really have no clue on how to do any of this
The 3D model should show you how it all fits together, as well as providing a scale on how big it is. I would measure your own body for the piece you wish to create and then scale the file up or down accordingly

Tossing my two cents in, I would use loctite liquid glue for connecting all the armor pieces and going over the seams on the back with hot glue to reinforce it
That works pretty well, but I would instead use Original Super Glue. It is much stronger, and bonds a dries much quicker.

for scaling check out this punished props video.
there are 2 types of fold lines on pepakura. one is moutain fold the other is valley fold, before folding them, draw over the line with a ballpoint pen, pushdown pretty hard to score the line, folding will be a lot easier that way. use a red pen so you can see the dotted lines still.

for learning to foamsmith RandomRanger has a few videos on his channel. you should check out some of the foamsmith videos on punished props videos as well, they super helpful for tips and tricks. Kamui cosplay also has some on youtube.

id also recommend starting with one of the bigger armor pieces, like a thigh. there are less little fiddly pieces

I'll again recommend browsing the Tutorial Section that Agnus linked you to last week:

Here you will find the Tutorial Index:

Which has a great many tutorials, many of which cover the topics you are asking about, including Scaling, how to use Pepakura Designer/Viewer, how to assemble Pepakura, what supplies you need and where to buy them, and so on.

Our members are always happy to help, and we encourage you to ask questions, but, at the end of the day, there are so many topics and issues with all the various methods are members use to make their costumes, that is very difficult to have any sort of one stop shop for answers and all the information. This Hobby does take a fair amount of personal initiative in terms of reading, studying, learning, and researching in order to get started. We're here to help, but in order to be successful, you will need to put in some leg work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back