Nightshade's Mark VI ODST Permutation Spartan Suit WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightshade's Mark VI ODST Spartan WIP

As we all know, the forums went down for quite some time, and, thanks to our hardworking staff, are now back in action. Despite that inconvenience, I managed to stay pretty busy after deciding (at the beginning of this summer) that my ODST suit wasn't really going anywhere (I think the number of pieces just drove me crazy!). Since the only piece of the suit that I really liked was the helmet, I quickly decided that I could modify and use that helmet as a start to making an ODST permutation Spartan suit, which I find much more enjoyable to work on.

I wanted to have a considerable amount of the suit completed before starting a progress thread (as opposed to the "Uh Hiz I wants to makes armrz here is my pepped hndplate" kinda WIP thread) in order to both give the thread a more interesting beginning and hopefully offer a greater amount of inspiration to other members. I decided that now would be a good time to begin it.

Here is roughly what I'm going for with the suit:

36062176fullsmall.jpg

Although the entire suit (when hopefully finished) will be repainted, each finished piece has been given a temporary paint job. Unfortunately, each forum post only allows fifteen pictures (which is actually rather generous, but difficult for beginning WIP threads with a lot of pictures). Because of this, I'll have to start the thread with a multi-post installment.

ODST Helmet Progress Shots:

Resin Stage:

dsc05297small.jpg

Rondo Stage:

dsc05299small.jpg

Smoothing Stage:

dsc05325.jpg

dsc05327n.jpg

dsc05362a.jpg

dsc05363.jpg

dsc05365or.jpg

dsc05367d.jpg

dsc05369g.jpg

dsc05372y.jpg

dsc05373e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ODST Helmet: Painted (missing visor)

img0728small.jpg

img0729smalli.jpg

img0624small.jpg

img0737small.jpg

img0740small.jpg

img0738small.jpg

img0739small.jpg

That's the ODST helmet so far. The large gold-mirror visor was ordered a number of days ago, and I have no idea why I haven't received it yet ...

Spartan Neck Seal:

(I'd like to thank the member Moonwildflower for the necessary templates to create it)

img0263small.jpg

img0267small.jpg

img0269small.jpg

img0270small.jpg

img0272smalla.jpg

img0273small.jpg

img0279small.jpg

img0283small.jpg

Spartan Torso Front (continued):

img0689small.jpg

img0690small.jpg

img0696small.jpg

img0698small.jpg

img0701small.jpg

Painted Stage:

img0707small.jpg

img0708small.jpg

v

I'd like to thank the member Thorssoli for all the wonderful pictures in his epic armor thread. It was actually from his torso piece that I took a lot of inspiration, so here's a picture comparing the two (mine's on top, his is on bottom):

torsothorsollicompariso.jpg

Spartan Torso Back:

Pep and Resin Stage:

img0289small.jpg

img0610small.jpg

img0611small.jpg

img0757smalla.jpg

Spartan Gutplate:

Resin Stage:

img0718small.jpg

Smoothing Stage:

img0722small.jpg

img0776small.jpg

All Put Together:

img0784smallb.jpg

img0786small.jpg

img0783lc.jpg

That's all for now. I hope you enjoy the pics!

Nightshade

OMG.......
Nightshade that is awesome man.
How long you need to do this and what did you use to sand all the things.
Just incredible man.........0.o

Thanks guys!

How long you need to do this and what did you use to sand all the things.
I guess the helmet took me a few days to pep (back then it took long due to school), about two days to harden and perhaps a week or two to smooth (again, during school). The torso took me a good week to build due to all the extra scrap-built supports and pieces on the inside to keep flat areas flat, etc. Then it took about two days to harden the front, a week or so to smooth (with a lot of thin, smooth layers of bondo applied and sanded with low-grit sandpaper on a wall sander thingy). The gutplate, as well as the neckseal, took one day to complete.

Also, the helmet may look rather large or unproperly fitted, but when the visor is installed that shouldn't be a problem ...

Incredible ^_^ Can't wait to see more!
Thank you! The tape I was using was just regular blue masking tape (*clicky*) which you can certainly find at any Home Depot or maybe a regular crafts store. It's a little less adhesive than normal masking tape, and doesn't leave any residue once removed. Perfect for temporary use. Also, the yellow stuff was just cut from a Foamies pad ...

Dang, you HAVE been busy! Looking awesome, and even if you think the helmet looks off, I'd say it seems just about the right size to me.

That's phenominal work Nightshade. (You may not remember me, but I used to go by Aero Napkin, but the site when down and I had to make another account and what not).

Anyway, I'm working on a similar project as well, although the only Mark VI piece I'll have is the chest. Again, great work mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back