Noob's First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

startrekstar101

Hello I am known online as startrekstar101 or star for short
This is where i am posting picture of MRKVI Armor which I have only started. I started this a while back and almost forgot it but im back. This Is my First ever project and am only looking for paint color choices for armor. I have watched a whole ton of tutorials but none of them give what color goes with another to add detail and an old look using a dark grey color as your basic color. if you can help me out id realy realy enjoy it

p.s. i already watched tuts on bondo and fiberglass resin but am always looking for more information thnx

Finnished So Far:
DSCF3007.jpg

Boots:
DSCF3018.jpg

DSCF3016.jpg

Hand Plates:
DSCF3012.jpg

Greave/Shin Guard:
DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg

Helmet:
DSCF3026.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg

Cuisse:
DSCF3024.jpg

DSCF3025.jpg

1 Shoulder/ 1 Forearm:
DSCF3013.jpg

DSCF3014.jpg

This is where i am posting picture of MRKVI Armor which I have only started.

Left Greave:

HaloReach

HaloReach

HaloReach

I'm pretty certain you linked to the album and not the actual pictures.

DSCN0099.JPG

DSCN0101.JPG

DSCN0100.JPG

Those are your pictures. The way I did that was, in your album, I right-clicked on the image and selected "copy image URL". Then pasted that into img tags.

Pep work is looking good so far.

I just got back from shopping and picked up most of the supplies that is needed for fiberglassing and bondo-ing except for the fiberglass itself. This is because all of the stores i went to either were closed or didnt carry fiberglass resin.

Sandpaper:
DSCF3040.jpg

DSCF3039-1.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

Bondo:
DSCF3035.jpg

10 Foam Paint Brushes:
DSCF3034.jpg

16oz Plastic Cups:
DSCF3032.jpg

Sponge:
DSCF3033.jpg

I hope I'm not missing anything but fiberglass resin

Your pep work looks good. It looks like minor warping, but that's nothing too difficult to fix. I hope you bought or have a lower grit sandpaper though. Bondo can gunk up sandpaper fairly fast, especially higher grits (even faster it seems with rondo). You'll probably want to sand everything fairly smooth with a low grit, like 60 or 80, than go over everything with a high grit. It seems like a pain, but unless you spread bondo extremely smooth to begin with, you will be there much longer if you start with high stuff.

Fibreglass and fibreglass resin are two different things. If you want to fibreglass your models, you'll need both. You'll need something to stir the resin, not sure if you already have something appropriate. You're also missing the whole range of safety products (respirator, gloves, glasses) and a tool of your choice to apply the Bondo (putty knife, scraper or similar, old credit cards work, but not very well). For at least some of your sandpaper you'll also need the sanding block pictured on the packaging. You can use the paper without it, but this usually doesn't work very well. To add details, you'll need a rotary tool with the appropriate accessories and possibly files. You won't be able to create any kind of indentation with sandpaper alone.
Remember not to do any of this at home. Resin and Bondo are toxic and the dust you create while sanding goes everywhere and is a huge pain to clean up.

What's the sponge for?

You can push the warped parts of your models into the right place by adding struts to the inside (popsickle sticks work well). Things like the dent on top of your boot you can also ignore and fill up with Bondo later, because they're on a relatively even surface.

Fibreglass and fibreglass resin are two different things. If you want to fibreglass your models, you'll need both. You'll need something to stir the resin, not sure if you already have something appropriate. You're also missing the whole range of safety products (respirator, gloves, glasses) and a tool of your choice to apply the Bondo (putty knife, scraper or similar, old credit cards work, but not very well). For at least some of your sandpaper you'll also need the sanding block pictured on the packaging. You can use the paper without it, but this usually doesn't work very well. To add details, you'll need a rotary tool with the appropriate accessories and possibly files. You won't be able to create any kind of indentation with sandpaper alone.
Remember not to do any of this at home. Resin and Bondo are toxic and the dust you create while sanding goes everywhere and is a huge pain to clean up.

What's the sponge for?

You can push the warped parts of your models into the right place by adding struts to the inside (popsickle sticks work well). Things like the dent on top of your boot you can also ignore and fill up with Bondo later, because they're on a relatively even surface.

Thnx again for these details

i am going to apply the fiberglass resin and bondo at my school under the supervision of my science teacher under a chemical hood and i will sand and detail the armour once finnished hopefully outside once spring comes. I will add the dremel and sanding block to my list as well as the glasses and gloves which i had actually forgoten to get while shopping today for materials.

the sponge i read is for wet sanding

if im doing anthing wrong with the steps im taking or the places ill be doing my work then all input is helpfull

thnx

i am going to apply the fiberglass resin and bondo at my school under the supervision of my science teacher under a chemical hood and i will sand and detail the armour once finnished hopefully outside once spring comes. I will add the dremel and sanding block to my list as well as the glasses and gloves which i had actually forgoten to get while shopping today for materials.

Working under a chemical hood would probably make a respirator superfluous while resining and fibreglassing. However, to make the exhaust system work properly, you'd have to close the front almost all the way and that might not be possible while working on bulky parts like a chest piece. Assuming you can fit that plus your various tools and cups in there in the first place, of course.

Also keep in mind that Bondo is applied in several thin layers, usually with some sanding in between.

You'll still need a respirator for sanding, dust masks work for that purpose if you don't want to buy a rubber mask.

the sponge i read is for wet sanding
You would need a sanding sponge for that, not a regular dish cleaning sponge :)
Sanding sponges are coated with abrasive, just like sandpaper.

thnx

ill make sure to return the sponge and by the sanding sponge instead

can you recomend a good dremel that can fit in my budjet of $75 not including the new tools i need to by as well as the fiberglass resin

ps im not to fiberglass the inside but rondo it instead to save time and hopefully make sure that i dont mess up the armor with air bubbles (fiberglass cloth)

I went to the store and bought fiberglass resin and 100 latex disposable gloves. After seaching through my house i found 2 sanding sponges, safety glasses, 2 cans of grey primer and safety masks. Also some tools that i dont know the names of to apply the bondo. i also finnished the last forearm piece!

looking promising there, buddy! I didnt read through your whole post but if you're planning on doing the rondo method, the cups tend to melt. So try double stacking them or something. Mine melted and ended up everywhere. Just a friendly reminder :p

ill make sure to return the sponge and by the sanding sponge instead

can you recomend a good dremel that can fit in my budjet of $75 not including the new tools i need to by as well as the fiberglass resin

ps im not to fiberglass the inside but rondo it instead to save time and hopefully make sure that i dont mess up the armor with air bubbles (fiberglass cloth)

Sorry, I don't know the prices where you live. Just make sure to not get one of the really cheap models with only one speed, get the 300 series or higher instead. They're still not top of the line, but they offer reasonable function for the money you pay. Also keep in mind that the bag of accessories that comes with it may not have all the accessories you need (especially from the carving section) or may not have them in sufficient amounts (e.g. sanding drums).

I went to the store and bought fiberglass resin and 100 latex disposable gloves. After seaching through my house i found 2 sanding sponges, safety glasses, 2 cans of grey primer and safety masks. Also some tools that i dont know the names of to apply the bondo. i also finnished the last forearm piece!

Mind that thin disposable gloves don't provide reasonable protection, especially not latex ones. If you're going back to that store to get rid of your sponge anyway, see if you can find disposable nitrile gloves. They are nicer to wear, there's no danger of developing allergies against the material and they are at least slightly better than the latex ones (still no reasonable protection though, unless you're sure you don't get your hands wet).

Your Pep work is looking good, Which is why id like to make a suggestion. When you start the bondo process try to use very small amounts for each application. I even use masking tape between each section for flat even amounts. This will help prevent a bondo mess and going through unnecessary amounts of material. It will also make the sanding process easy to see the highs and lows. I also try to avoid bondo in really tight small areas, this will help keep the details throughout the project. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I've just found that out the hard way. Applied way to much and now I have a lot of sanding to do.

Great pep work by the way!

Thank you everyone for the compliments and suggestions. I've only been here a couple of months and I've received such a warm welcome. I will continue to work my hardest and hopefully in the next two weeks i will complete the pepping and mabe start the chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back