ODST 2: Electric Boogaloo

ReservedTaco

Now that my first build is done, my first convention complete. My sights are now set on remaking, improving and making my ODST 2.0 more comfortable.

One of my main issues I had was manoeuvrability; mainly walking, bending over, taking my helmet on and off.

I found Fromthebrink's files on etsy and after viewing his build and photos about what he could do in his suit it had me hooked.

I am currently working with Armoursmith on scaling for the parts I had the most trouble with (mainly thighs, calf's and gauntlets). I will hopefully have it done within the next few days and start the build process all over again

Now that my first build is done, my first convention complete. My sights are now set on remaking, improving and making my ODST 2.0 more comfortable.

One of my main issues I had was manoeuvrability; mainly walking, bending over, taking my helmet on and off.

I found Fromthebrink's files on etsy and after viewing his build and photos about what he could do in his suit it had me hooked.

I am currently working with Armoursmith on scaling for the parts I had the most trouble with (mainly thighs, calf's and gauntlets). I will hopefully have it done within the next few days and start the build process all over again

Making Brink's suit myself, about 75% done printing. They're fantastic files! Just be ready to use a lot of filament, the durability is awesome and they're super sturdy but they're not "hollowed out" on the back sides if that makes sense. I'm loving the results though, you won't be disappointed! Oh, also if you've been wanting to make a suppressed pistol check out his Youtube channel, he made a modular version with functional slide and whatnot. Definitely on my list of things to print, plus the files are free.

Making Brink's suit myself, about 75% done printing. They're fantastic files! Just be ready to use a lot of filament, the durability is awesome and they're super sturdy but they're not "hollowed out" on the back sides if that makes sense. I'm loving the results though, you won't be disappointed! Oh, also if you've been wanting to make a suppressed pistol check out his Youtube channel, he made a modular version with functional slide and whatnot. Definitely on my list of things to print, plus the files are free.
How did you go for sizing the parts and howd they fit? It was one of my largest issues with my last suit

How did you go for sizing the parts and howd they fit? It was one of my largest issues with my last suit

I just used Armorsmith. Printed all the files for one side first, test fit, then printed the opposite side as needed. Haven't gotten into the padding and strapping phase yet, but loose fitting has gone well. If it fits in Armorsmith and you made sure to take accurate measurements you should be good. The belt and torso is pretty forgiving from what I've seen as you can just space out the parts of the belt to fit best. The shins will likely be the most annoying part to fit, based on what I saw test fitting them and from what Brink said in his post here. He ended up making a foam wedge at the knee area that he put in after putting the shin armor on that helped lock it in place, I'll probably do the same thing.

I just used Armorsmith. Printed all the files for one side first, test fit, then printed the opposite side as needed. Haven't gotten into the padding and strapping phase yet, but loose fitting has gone well. If it fits in Armorsmith and you made sure to take accurate measurements you should be good. The belt and torso is pretty forgiving from what I've seen as you can just space out the parts of the belt to fit best. The shins will likely be the most annoying part to fit, based on what I saw test fitting them and from what Brink said in his post here. He ended up making a foam wedge at the knee area that he put in after putting the shin armor on that helped lock it in place, I'll probably do the same thing.
I am still quite the novice with Amoursmith but everything looks like it will fit with very minor sizing changes.

I do like his idea of being able to out some foam in to help how it sits/"lock" it in place without making it super complicated

I am still quite the novice with Amoursmith but everything looks like it will fit with very minor sizing changes.

I do like his idea of being able to out some foam in to help how it sits/"lock" it in place without making it super complicated

One thing I found that helped a lot was changing the armor piece opacity. On the right in the property grid area there should be an opacity setting when you have an armor piece selected, you can drop it down and see if anything is clipping inside the armor that you can't see from the front. Helmet especially, the first one I printed looked good but after it was all printed I had some sizing issues because I didn't see the inside of it.

So after a few drinks, many YouTube tutorials and mild swearing, I have managed to get all the scale test models onto my avatar!

Thanks BinaryHe1ix for the opactiy hint in armorsmith has helped a tonne for sizing. I think how i have it scaled (mostly only 102%, some parts bigger thigh width goes to 112% and helmet at 105%) I should be able to start doing some test prints and see how it goes.

Screenshot.jpeg

Heya, just looking at those legs: don't they look too small? It looks like the model is clipping into the avatarView attachment 330591
So after having a look at it again, the angle I took the photo in is SUPER deceiving but it's actually part of the shin. I had to second guess myself looking at it but once I rotated around it isnt clipping.

Thanks for being so observant though PlanetAlexander I definitely owe you one at Brisnova!

G'day all!

Long time no check up, life unfortunately got in the way and my drive for updating got sapped along with it. But I have got a tiny bit of an update since my last post.

I have managed to print a Helmet that fits much nicer, scaled much nicer and just looks much cleaner. Still need to do a bunch of work to it but its a start

20230822_161731.jpg

I have also started work on re-printing the M6C SOCCOM in a much more in universe accurate size, unlike my first attempt that I could barely fit my hand into!

20230822_161812.jpg

It hasn't been smoothing sailing the whole time unfortunately, I have had an incredibly rough time with scaling the shin armour and have been through many failed attempts as well as having more printer issues than I could poke a stick at. It has been out of commission for about 2 weeks while I wait for it to be serviced and an upgrade to be done to it.

With Oz Comic Con Brisbane only 20 something days away I will be taking my original suit and making adjustments so that I can be in costume and be much more comfortable this time round.

I will be much more active over the next few months as I have 2 cons coming up before the end of the year and my hope is to get the ODST done to a point I can start new costume ideas.

I know what u mean with the pistol ReservedTaco, I did the same thing with my Socom for my odst suit. It was so small I just repainted it and gave it to my younger brother, it fit his hands a whole lot better XD.

I know what u mean with the pistol ReservedTaco, I did the same thing with my Socom for my odst suit. It was so small I just repainted it and gave it to my younger brother, it fit his hands a whole lot better XD.
I got way too excited when I first printed it I didn't even stop to check the sizing

It hasn't been smoothing sailing the whole time unfortunately, I have had an incredibly rough time with scaling the shin armour and have been through many failed attempts as well as having more printer issues than I could poke a stick at. It has been out of commission for about 2 weeks while I wait for it to be serviced and an upgrade to be done to it.
After fully completing brinks suit, my advice for the shins is to scale them a bit bigger than you need them (but not so much to where they look weird on the rest of the suit) and fill them with foam so that your legs fit. It saved me so much time, headaches, and filament after I figured this out. Hopefully this is helpful ! :) Other than that hope the suits going well, brinks files are amazing !

After fully completing brinks suit, my advice for the shins is to scale them a bit bigger than you need them (but not so much to where they look weird on the rest of the suit) and fill them with foam so that your legs fit. It saved me so much time, headaches, and filament after I figured this out. Hopefully this is helpful ! :) Other than that hope the suits going well, brinks files are amazing !
Thanks for the heads up! I had issues mainly because of the measurements I took originally had been wrong and just over scaled way too far.

So unfortunately not a whole lot of a progress update as my printer is still out of commission. Although one good thing with it being out of commission and being upgraded is that the person doing it found out my temperature gauge is faulty and is read about 30⁰ less than what the machine is saying it to be, which explains many of my issues while printing!!

In the mean time I have managed to clean up the helmet and what parts of the M6C I have printed, I need to do some gap filling on the helmet but this weekend I'll be able to start priming and sanding!!!

Also this weekend I am attempting to build a homemade vaccum former to do my visor, which in turn if it works it will help with my many other costume ideas.

Hopefully in a few days time I will have a better progress report!
20230831_201722.jpg

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back