ODST Armor (NO PEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullboy134

COMPLETED
Hello all!
This is my first real halo armor project. At least the armor part. I built my helmet a few months ago, using foam. I planned to build the armor but never got around to it. I got back into it last week (9/17) so I could bring something to school for a spirit week event (10/1). At the time, I only had two weeks to build it, so I switched over to cardboard so it could be done quickly.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my process for the majority of the pieces, but I have pics of what I've done so far.
The helmet is done, the chest is almost finished. I need to finish layering the shins, arms and shoulders, and I have to fix up the thigh pieces. I'm hoping to build the AR or the SMG later, but I won't be able to do it beforehand.
I'll post more as I move along (running low on paint and glue), but I hope to have this done within the week.

Screenshot 2015-09-24 at 3.44.48 PM.png
Helmet + Chest

IMG_7396.JPG
Arms
IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7398 - Edited.jpg
Shoulders

IMG_7394.JPG
Chest (ran out of paint here)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7411.JPG
    IMG_7411.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 146
Here's some pictures of the helmet. I built it around an old baseball helmet I had, then plasti-dipped it and added both the blue paint and visor afterwards.

unnamed (19).jpg

unnamed (20).jpg

IMG_7393.JPG
Helmet Interior

nice nice but i prefer to use foam. so this is your first time? check mine out in RvB caboose costume! and be sure to tell me if you have any ideas!

nice nice but i prefer to use foam. so this is your first time? check mine out in RvB caboose costume! and be sure to tell me if you have any ideas!

This is my first full set. I would have used foam, but I wasn't going to have enough time to get everything together and build it that way

Yours is looking pretty good! I'd start considering how you are gonna strap everything together. I ran into a wall with that for a bit.

already thought about that. one word for you... velcro, elastic, and good old fashioned friction. ok maybe that was more than one word but you get the idea.

Alright! I spent the last hour or two working on the gauntlets and mounting the shoulders. The gauntlets are glued together, so I don't need any Velcro or straps. The shoulders are attached with velcro, and I haven't had any issues with it sliding off my arm.
Now that I finished building from the waist up, all that's left are to layer the thigh and shin pieces, then its painting time!

unnamed (22).jpg

unnamed (21).jpg

unnamed (23).jpg

I did have to modify the shoulder design a little bit, as I was having trouble wearing it with the upper portions on. I had a few incidents where the pieces were crushed when I lifted my arms to lengthwise, but I've mostly eliminated that problem now.

The shoulder looks good for cardboard! I used to do a lot of stuff with cardboard and I like it even though achieving 3-dimensionality can be a real pain. Good to see you've leapt over that hurdle. I also used mainly duct tape, so I don't exactly know how gluing works. I have a feeling that detail may be better but at the cost of some integrity? At any rate, it's good to do the entire suit the same way. Just don't bring the weapon props to school!

The shoulder looks good for cardboard! I used to do a lot of stuff with cardboard and I like it even though achieving 3-dimensionality can be a real pain. Good to see you've leapt over that hurdle. I also used mainly duct tape, so I don't exactly know how gluing works. I have a feeling that detail may be better but at the cost of some integrity? At any rate, it's good to do the entire suit the same way. Just don't bring the weapon props to school!

Thanks!
I've mainly just been using gorilla glue to attach all of the pieces. It's held up very well, without any major pieces falling off. But I've gotten some of the glue on my fingers and it's a real pain to get off. XD
Now that you mention it, I probably could add some more pieces to the shoulders, but I've gotta be careful not to make them to heavy, or else they'll start sliding down my arms a bit.

Haven't started the weapon yet, but I hope to begin work on it within a week or so

If the shoulders do start sliding down, it would be a pretty simple matter to anchor them to the torso with adjustable straps...

I agree. The other thing with the straps is to make them adjustable. If they're not(woe to duct-taping me of 6mos. ago), they either flap everywhere or crush it with tightness. You could do it with d-tape, but I don't know how well cardboard would hold up if made into a strap holder.

Right now I'm using superglue and duct tape to hold the cardboard straps down, with velcro to keep them around my arms. Haven't had any issues with it so far, other than the tape peeling slightly (nothing too serious, easily fixable).

I really like how you have worked those gauntlets! I too am working in cardboard on many parts of my own build (Also odst! :D) but I came to a little bit of a deadlock at the gauntlets but I really like the approach you took on those! I think i might have found some great inspiration here to continue with mine! Thanks! Your build looks great so far! can't wait to see it done!

I really like how you have worked those gauntlets! I too am working in cardboard on many parts of my own build (Also odst! :D) but I came to a little bit of a deadlock at the gauntlets but I really like the approach you took on those! I think i might have found some great inspiration here to continue with mine! Thanks! Your build looks great so far! can't wait to see it done!
Thanks! I'm glad this helped you out! :) I wish I'd taken pictures of the gauntlets when I was building them.
Hope your build is going well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back