ODST for my kids WIP Completed (more photos Page 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do your kids like the foam? Will you be able to stick to foam builds in the future? It seems to be quicker and cheaper.

My kids think they are great. The foam torsos allow them to have more mobility. Last year they couldn't run with their Master Chiefs. The foam is definitely lighter, but I wouldn't say easier.

With pepakura, you already have the shape and measurement. You just need to cut and glue. With foam it is entirely different. It is like making a complex jacket where every pieces have to be custom cut and tailored. The gluing part is easy. I think the painting should be easy too - PlasticDip and paint.

Two disadvantages that I know of: the scale of the foam and the price. I'm using EVA foam that I bought from KMart, which is about 3/4 inch thick. I bought a 4 sheets/pack for $20. There are other thickness EVA foam that you can buy online, but they are not cheap at all.

I can say that foam has a lot of potential if the price of foam is cheap.

4 sheets for $ 20! That's expensive. I got mine for less than $12 inc. tax

Probably in Canada. I saw Harbor Freight store near my home sold the foam for much less than $20. They were all sold out by the time I decide to buy them. No one sold EVA foam except KMart unfortunately.

I got mine from liquidation station and Canadian tire store. Did you look in walmart? Because I saw some at my walmart and they sold for $14 for 4 sheets. I found the gray one from liquidation St. That cost $9 + gst. After I got some color one in canadain tire that cost about $12

I made mine out of a nerf recon too.
check it.

Thanks for sharing. My SMG will not have a sliding butt. Still in the works. Hopefully I will post some updates soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not folded?

I'm a noob. And I noticed you kept saying "not folded". I know you will say its just as it sounds, but could you explain that a little more?

I'm a noob. And I noticed you kept saying "not folded". I know you will say its just as it sounds, but could you explain that a little more?

Some pieces are curved once they are built. Pepakura by default will print the lines but won't tell you that they are are curved. You can fold them but they will look angular - creating more work when you try to smooth the surface. Areas that you want to look for curve surface are the top of the helmet or the chest piece. Here is the photo I posted earlier. Noticed that I did not fold any lines on the sides of the chest piece.
ODST3.jpg

Here is my earlier work. Noticed that the thighs are more angular. I did not smooth out the surface because I was running out of time. If I left the area "not folded", they would look a lot smoother.

0020.jpg

Attachments

• ODST3.jpg
    ODST3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 0020.jpg
    0020.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 171
Not much to update because the weather here is still chilly. Can't do any resin yet. However, I finally received Plasti Dip I ordered earlier in the week. Will try it out on the foam pieces later.

d5f4d9e5.jpg

Attachments

• d5f4d9e5.jpg
    d5f4d9e5.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 164
Here is a quick update and the last one for the night. I made the waist plate out of foam. Did a test run with a light coat of Plasti Dip.

3824f383.jpg

Attachments

• 3824f383.jpg
    3824f383.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 171
I've started searching gloves for my kids. I know ODST uses fingerless gloves. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

While reserching I found Fox Racing has some cool gloves. The Bomber Gloves are particularly interesting. If you cut off the fingers, it matches exactly as ODST. The problem is a pair cost $40. I may keep the fingers if I go with these.

FoxRacing.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Bomber-Gl...IYXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304535596&sr=8-1

Attachments

• FoxRacing.jpg
    FoxRacing.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 166
So how did the Plastic Dip work out??

I just did a light coat. It seems that the foam absorbed the Plasti Dip. I may need to put extra coats. My understanding is that once the form is coated with Plasti Dip, you can apply any paints on it. I'm new to this and hardly have time to test this out. The weather here turns cold again and I can't do any painting in my home. Will post more update when available.

I've been on the search for ODST gloves, too. Those gloves look nice. Not all ODSTs have fingerless gloves (like the ones in halo 3), so you can leave the fingers if you want to.

I just did a light coat. It seems that the foam absorbed the Plasti Dip. I may need to put extra coats. My understanding is that once the form is coated with Plasti Dip, you can apply any paints on it. I'm new to this and hardly have time to test this out. The weather here turns cold again and I can't do any painting in my home. Will post more update when available.

I tested the plasti dip on a forearm that I did. It took almost four coats before it turned out like I wanted it to. Even then, it really sucked up the paint.

I've started searching gloves for my kids. I know ODST uses fingerless gloves. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

hey, i bought these for an older odst costume i did. they look very good for the price of ten bucks and are comfortable, i am assuming you will need them in a smaller size for your kids. you may have to browse but its worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Half-Finger-Paintball-Gloves-Medium/dp/B001R1LHBC

heres a picture if people dont feel like clicking
41MK43CCN3L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Attachments

• 41MK43CCN3L_SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41MK43CCN3L_SL500_AA300_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back