Odst Helmet For Airsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MulticamAddict

Hi, I am an experienced airsoft player so I know what eye protection needs to be effective. I saw the new odst commercial and I thought that I would want to look like that for airsoft. I only want the helmet, shoulders and the chest, but Im going to paint them in the multicam print. I have a multicam loadout when I play so I want it to match. I am going to use miltiary grade ballistic lens for the visor and trust me, these things can take a nail gun at point blank range. My main concern is the helmet itself. I will use motorcycle helmet pads for the inside, but my main worry is the outside. I don't want any dents, or worse, punctures. Do you guys have any idea for what i could do to make the outside extremely durable. Again I am an avid airsoft play who knows what they are doing, not some backyard player..... Thanks alot guys

You could use the pepakura method, but you would have to heavily, and I mean heavily re-enforce it with fiberglass.

Airsoft guns can shoot at a pretty high velocity, so chances are it would crack your helmet.

Or, you could see which members are selling armor and helmets that strong plastic casts.

But still, it's not the best thing

to do, especially if you make your own armor and you end up tearing it up.

DOnt use a pepped helmet for airsoft ever. Ive heard some people say that a molded helmet can take some damage but you cant expect it to not get dented. Just think of it like..authentic battle damage. ALso i suppose i shoud say that the 405th does not promote this kind of activity. We make armor for show.

Just make a mold of the helmet using a durable plastic. I'm not sure what you should use exactly though.

Yeah I know you guys don't promote this, but still I cant help thinking about how cool it would be , but I may become too attached to it and not use it at all. I will just have to see how it turns out because there it no way that a bb can go through thick motorcycle pads, but it might hurt the outside. I may heavy duty fiberglass it and see how it turns out

I also know that crye precision also makes and sells a multicam fabric wrap that is made for wear and tear. I could use that for the larger sections of the armor

This is not an official endorsement, but I'd suggest looking into mudglassing in addition to trying straight fiberglass. Having played Airsoft, I'd say a mudglassed piece is more likely to withstand airsoft rounds successfully. Other considerations would be pepakura plus a heavy dose of smoothcast on the inside. But prepare to get your detailing on the outside shot off. Of course, if you are doing this, put safety first (I know you will, I just feel obligated to state it every post), and TEST your pieces with a super-high velocity sniper and a cranked up AEG before you ever get anywhere near a field with this stuff. Even just do tests on scrap pieces of material to compare how these things hold up. Since you are an experienced airsofter, I'll assume you have some guns to test with. (Also, high five for Multicam, I have a set of BDUs in that myself). Good luck, we cannot officially condone or endorse what you are doing, but if you're gonna do it, we might as well try and make sure you're safe out there.

I will be testing my method of choice with a 600 fps sniper rifle at point blank range, I am going to make sure that no bb gets though, especially on the seems where the visor meets the helmet. Also I want to stress the fact that the 405th and any of its members will not be held responsible for anything that happens to me. I do this at my own risk. I also intend to make a metal skeleton for the helmet and if all goes well it may be external as well

andrew said:
I will be testing my method of choice with a 600 fps sniper rifle at point blank range, I am going to make sure that no bb gets though, especially on the seems where the visor meets the helmet. Also I want to stress the fact that the 405th and any of its members will not be held responsible for anything that happens to me. I do this at my own risk. I also intend to make a metal skeleton for the helmet and if all goes well it may be external as well

...600FPS

Holy Shi..

Last edited by a moderator:
i would reccomend making a normal helmet and when your done cut it in half and glue both of the parts to a motorcycle helmet.

Andrew, I hoep you know you CANNOT get into any good field with a helmet like that, because you will have no proof your helmet is ANZI/ANSI. I would like to know what you wear for eye protection, because most people know legit fields are strict on eye protection.

Bobo The PandaX said:
Andrew, I hoep you know you CANNOT get into any good field with a helmet like that, because you will have no proof your helmet is ANZI/ANSI. I would like to know what you wear for eye protection, because most people know legit fields are strict on eye protection.

YEAH I know this, but sometimes my group and I use a special homefeild. I usually play with olive drab flak jaks, with are made to withstand shrapnel and I im going to use the black ones that came with the googles, cuts of a motorcycle visor and a wire mesh that is used on the army of two airsoft masks to line the inside with, they are on evike.com

andrew said:
YEAH I know this, but sometimes my group and I use a special homefeild. I usually play with olive drab flak jaks, with are made to withstand shrapnel and I im going to use the black ones that came with the googles, cuts of a motorcycle visor and a wire mesh that is used on the army of two airsoft masks to line the inside with, they are on evike.com

Don't waste ANY money on mesh, it's simply not safe, crappy, and not worth the price. AT ALL.

well good luck with the helmet, after seeingthat army of two mask i must say that fiberglass do help against BBs, im ansious to see more!

Closed helmet:

-constant foggy lens

-uncomertable to wear, especially while running around: hey, some people can deal with it

if your a pro at airsoft, than you should know that you need vision more than anything. Also, you should know that guns go way over 400fps

My warning is to stop and dont even think of it because it concerns your safety too much, but you will probably do it anyway, so my suggestion is to build ontop of a Paintball/Airsoft mask, and make sure it has goggles that are shatter proof

Wear some ANSI certified goggles UNDER your helmet. Safety problem solved. As long as your visor doesn't shatter into a million razor sharp shards, you'll be okay. Once again, we don't condone/endorse blah blah blah. And as for mesh goggles, there ARE some good ones, as long as they're not the cheap crap from China. 600FPS rifle will sort the good from the bad.

The visor I am going to use is a layer of motorcycle lens and the outside will be military grade flak jak lens, which is designed to protect soldiers in real life combat

It amazes me how people don't read how much research the OP has done into this and simply say "blah blah blah this won't work don't do it even though you actually know how to blah blah blah".

I commend you for actually using your head, and coming up with novel ideas for the visor and safety issue. Atleast someone here has a brain.

As for strengthening, I'd recommend what was mentioned before: mudglassing, tons of smoothcast, or tons of fiberglass (although the first two would work out better). Make sure to add fans of some sort in a place where they will both defog the visor and be a difficult spot to hit unintentionally. Also, gotta agree:

600fps? OSHI-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back