Odst Paintball Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasterborus

Jr Member
Hey guys, I'm new here, so yeah, I'm not a big fan of Halo, I don't own an XBox 360 and wasn't gonna buy one just for 1 game. So I usually play it at my mates place.

Anyways, after watching the Live Action ODST Trailer, I was so amazed at the Uniforms of the UNSC ODST Soldiers that I thought it would be great to embark on creating a Halo 3: ODST Soldier Paintball suit.

Basically, I want it to end up looking like this:

odst-soldier.jpg

Now, a few things I will need it to be able to do:

• Carry Ammo pods for a paintball gun
  • Be able to clip my paintball gun to it
  • Replica Helmet must be able to take a direct impact to the face shield from a paintball round
  • Must be able to move in and dive behind obstacles and stuff
  • As such, must be able to take a fair bit of punishment

Now, I have been able to find some stuff that could be painted up to look UNSC ODST Uniform:

Elbow Pads

Knee Pads

Vest Option 1

Vest Option 2

Boots

Gloves

Possible Helmet

Forearm Pads

Neck Protector

Backpack 1

Backpack 2

Another possible Vest

Possible Helmet

Another Helmet

Another Neck Guard

Edit:

For an added sense of realism, I'd put these into the helmets:

UHF Tactical radio

GME Tactical Radio

Edit (Again):

Ok, so after some looking around, I found a heap of cutout cardboard thingy's to assemble (here actually) that you can resin over and then fiberglass to make an ODST suit, these parts could then me attached to the above items to make an ODST uniform, I have dropboxed them to my own Dropbox to make them easier to download.

Original Location of Files

And here are the files:

Chest & Base

Shoulders

Belt Plate

Smooth Torso

Helmet

Knees

Legs

Ral Partha

Ral Partha Accessories

To view the above files, you will need Pepakura Viewer, which can be downloaded from their site Here

----------------------------------------------------​

The idea being that by using a paintball mask I can use the replica helmet as part of a paintball costume, and it will fit me better cos I'm wearing something already made to be worn. Then I can cut ventilation through the fibreglass and such. Also, using ready made vests and stuff designed for Paintball will help me have a functional ODST as opposed to simply a prop replica.

Once thing that would be nice would be to have the big inverted delta shape box on the front actually a storage box where I store 1 or 2spare CO2 cylinders. Does anyone here know where I can get them??

So far, that's all I have been able to find that could possible be put together to make an ODST Suit. Any suggestions or comments??

Also, if I have an easy job of making this, I would be willing to make them to sell, possibly under the name H3:Spec-Ops War Suit or some such name, but I'll shove ODST markings and such on them at request, and also, it would be possible to paint them in cammo I assume at an extra cost, so DPCU, MARPAT, ACU, Flecktarn, etc. I'll see how I go.

-Kaster

Oh, I know that much, usually we play with nothing but masks and regular clothing with paintball, this is just to add a bit of extra flair to my game.

-Kaster

Well, the best I have been able to think if so far, is as it is a real pain in Australia to have your own Paintball Markers, I will be forced to use the ones at my local range, luckily, they can be fitted with a sling, so my idea will be to either attach clips to my vest and the marker, and clip it SAS style to my vest, or attach a sling to marker and have it over the shoulder.

-Kaster

Yeah sure, also, I just realized, I know I've ripped off another member's stuff, if they want me to remove the Dropbox links, I will. Also, I will be modifying their helmet design, maybe adding Flashlights and such to MY helmet, and will be custom modding stuff when other people buy them, I'm just using that helmet design as a rough base.

-Kaster

Given the proper reinforcements and precautions are taken, I see no viable reason why this wouldn't be do-able. I haven't played paintball in years though and I never liked wearing anything that messed with my range of hearing. Vision is usually already shot wearing the face-mask so I never wanted to snuffle both perception systems.

Granted, I really have no advice to give. All I can say is I look forward to seeing the results. Would be really neat to see a bunch of ODST'ers out there in the fields. The nasty side effect naturally being the considerably shortened lifespan of the armor. But hey - win some and lose some.

Yes well, I'm thinking if I mold some holes into it and shape them right, I may be able to get some hearing in...Also, radios will help communicate where the other players are once we get more than one ODST'er out on the field.

-Kaster

I can't really condone or promote the use of prop gear for paintball, due to the fact that it is dang dangerous no matter how you look at it. That being said, it sounds like you have a solid plan. One thing: paintballs tend to rip right through bondo and fiberglass, have a look Here to see what kind of damage you could (and probably will) be dealing with. You'll definitely need to do a lot of work to make a helmet that can withstand paint rounds. Never trust your materials! Personally, I'd only wear the body armor out into the field, and just have a standard paintball mask/helmet on. Full helmets get HOT in a hurry.

Agreed. You are going to have to build your model and most likely have to cast it with a very thick and sturdy plastic. However, remember that you will need some major testing done on anything before you can even be allowed on any field. //.Proceed with Caution!

- Adulese

I don't think it's necessary for you to have rehosted the ODST files, and I'm fairly certain they are not meant to be posted anywhere except the thread where they are now. You probably should remove the links.

Good luck with your project.

Been trying to dig up some safety information for you but I'm hitting a lot of dead ends. Basically, you have to buy the standards book and I'm not digging that. Regardless, ASTM International, sub-committee F08 is charged with safety standards for equipment relating to the sporting field. More finitely, F08.24 deals directly with Paintball. However, in the event of your face mask, that also falls under F08.57 which deals primarily with broad-spectrum eye protection which is really the reason for the face mask in the first place. It's primary function is to protect the eye's. A secondary function is protection of the face because nobody likes to get a busted lip from a paintball.

Nevertheless, there is a standards book labeled F1776-09 which deals with eye protection in relation to paintball. Again, you got to pay for the thing and it isn't cheap so I'm trying to see if I can dig up the data for free (legally of course). Maybe give you some finite values on good materials, minimum thicknesses, etc.

Here is the official link to ASTFM F1776-09: F176-09

I'll pass along any data that I can find.

sigh..... how frequent is question coming up?

this community isnt going to advise/tell you how to make functional armor/safety equipment

Why bother to use for paintball

-people will think your stupid (your just a easier target to hit because you aint going to be very mobile)

-it will be extremely uncomfartable, especially in during, summer and spring

-Consider lens fogging? your wearing a heat trap on you head with no ventallation

Why would you want to wear costume for paintball....

Many people have tried to make Airsoft/Paintball armour and unless it's very, very durable plastic like Nightmare Armour Studios' Halo armour, then it will break really quickly. So unless you have accsess to the same materials that NAS used, then I WOULD NOT try this.

nothing serves as a better PSA than a guy/girl in traction, missing a limb, or the friends of said person after the funeral. Extreme? Possibly... but Darwin is looking for winners and honorable mentions!

I know that a mock Halo Helmet WILL NOT protect me from impacts, this why I plan to cast the Prop one and then put it OVER a proper paintball helmet. This means that even if the helmet gets shattered by a paintball, my head and eyes will be protected because I have a proper helmet and lens on under the helmet. One of my friends fathers owns an aircraft repair business, so I'm gonna have a talk to him about high strength materials.

As for the heat, the Paintball Helmet comes with ventilation holes and to stop fogging, either I customize the helmet with this, or install a fan to blow air through the helmet. Or, if I wanna go really high tech, I could rip the Liquid Cooling out of an old computer I have and install that in it, but that seems lie a LOT of work to go to if I wanna be cool (heatwise).

Also:

this community isnt going to advise/tell you how to make functional armor/safety equipment

I'm not asking for that, i am asking for advice on what people can see wrong with my idea, so far I've had:

• Fibreglass Helm will not withstand paintball - Looking into it
  • Heat - Will look into it
  • Safety - Fixed

One thing that keeps coming up is whether or not it will be legal within paintball to wear this instead of safety gear, I can see this as giving us more protection than what we normally wear (Not because of the actual fibro armor, but because of the vest we attach it to) considering last time me and my mate played, we played in Board Shorts and T-Shirts.

Once again, for those who haven't been reading, the Halo Helm will NOT be protective, it will be DECORATIVE, instead i will be using either This or This under the DECORATIVE helmet and THOSE will be providing me the protection, and NOT the Halo Helm.

Sorry if I sounded a bit snappy.

-Kaster

enjoy getting creamed trying to run with all that crap on. Just normal walking is a task wearing the stuff as it is.

Eh, I'm not too fussed on getting creamed, the guy will custoe rule me based on what I'm wearing, usually it's 3 strikes you're out for the round, when we played in T-Shirts and Board Shorts, he dropped it to 2. So I can't see him not putting it up if I'm wearing a "Battle Suit"

Also, the ruling in Australia is 250fps.

Basically, I'll make up something like a Knee Pad first, take it out there and ask him to shoot it for me, if it holds up, I continue with the rest of the suit, if not, well, I go back and try again.

-Kaster

please note that this is a halo costuming and PROP site why would you want to spent countless hours building a suit to ruin it after one day and make your suit look like your a hippie odst who got stoned(because of all the paintballs hitting you)? not telling you what to do, just trying to give you some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back