Official pepakura scaling thread

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by Redsleighdown, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Redsleighdown

Redsleighdown Well-Known Member

Just though this may make some people's work a little easier.

If you have completed any pep armor pieces, please post telling if the armor was too big or small(also give your body measurements) and if you did any rescaling. No one-on-one discussions please.

Thanks
    -Red

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Sigma LS

Sigma LS Sr Member

Mk V helmet- fits perfect, scale number 9.26 for H1 MC model, head circumferance 18 in. Scale based on NAS molded helmet dimensions.

3. Ultima

Ultima Jr Member

What is your height and build? Im trying to figure out how to scale my armor if I am 5'8" and am pretty skinny.

4. JediFraz

JediFraz Active Member

Nice one Red. Can we sticky this one along with the tutorial thread?

Default 'real world' scale as initially published is 30.342.
    That fits a 46 inch chest and the groin fits a 34/36 inch waist.

5. Spartan129

Spartan129 Member

Cant we use the ol' take-your-height-in-inches-and-times-by-2.5-to-get-Cm?

6. rmitch

rmitch New Member

Jedi,

How do you figure the scaling factor to use in pepakura?
    Im 5' 8" 36" waist and the stuff is too big on me.

7. Frizzlefry

Frizzlefry Active Member

WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
    The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

Feel free to ask any questions about how it's done here. But I would appreciate it if the PM's for me to scale their armor for them would stop. If you can't do this math (we're not in school, you can use a calculator), I can't help you.

8. smilie120

smilie120 Sr Member

frizzlefry that was very helpfull i honour you! :bow:

9. Ares

Ares Well-Known Member

Perfect info.
    :birthday:

10. rmitch

rmitch New Member

Thanks,

I did some chest measurements and used your formula and it came out to about what I spent an hour figuring out. Now I feel confident to redo the chest. :hyper:

11. Ultima

Ultima Jr Member

Fizzle, that was great info. Although I would recommend adding more around 3-5 inches if you are of a large build and only .5-2 inches if you are skinny. I did my helmet exact and it barely fits on my head, so I scaled up the other peices from 29.3 to 24 for a better fit.

12. Sigma LS

Sigma LS Sr Member

Glad you liked my formula idea Frizz. And you've edited it to perfection :heart:

Wouldn't expect any less of the author of the awesome tutorial!

13. Frizzlefry

Frizzlefry Active Member

Yeah, I was getting hammered with PM's, so I figured I better do something. lol

14. Leadingspartan

Leadingspartan Well-Known Member

i forgot to scale and now helmet is 2 times the size of my head

15. lord powdow

lord powdow New Member

i made a halo right shoe no scaling and i could fit at least 2 feet in it im 5feet 7in. :eek :eek i have to try that

16. Redsleighdown

Redsleighdown Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought about not scaling and just making a full size MC for display hmm?

17. Frizzlefry

Frizzlefry Active Member

I have, but right now I just want to get a wearable one going. And that's moving at a snails pace as it is.

The oracle thing with the tentacle holding it is intruiging (sp?) to me too.

18. tombomb

tombomb New Member

are the modles in the outher forum based off of your size or mc size

19. Frizzlefry

Frizzlefry Active Member

MC size.

20. Ostrich

Ostrich Jr Member

Umm well what if its in jpg format and not in pepakura? Where should you put in the information then? Also since I've got a Mac it pops up in Preview? So what should I do?

21. Iceman29

Iceman29 Member

Thats what I sort of did.

I made a MC Helmet that could fit my head perfectly, and one that was pretty big to be for my display.

But, the suit that fits me, comes first. :Steve:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  22. Frizzlefry

Frizzlefry Active Member

I don't want to restart the Mac vs PC war, but I would say that if you don't have Pepakura or can't run it, you are not going to get a lot of support.

If someone here who owned a Mac could tell you what wonderful software you can use to edit the pictures, all you really would need to do is figure out what percentage size you are of MC and just resize it to that percentage.

The "fix-all" would be to find a way to use the Pepakura software, however.

23. Spartan118

Spartan118 Well-Known Member

Thanks that little tutorial was perfect, my mc helmet was 2x bigger than my head lol.

24. blinkava44

blinkava44 Well-Known Member

how do u scale ur helmet/suit.. i wanna make sure mine is gunna fit me before i print it all out

25. IceTray

IceTray Jr Member

I believe that was explained on page one.

I do have a question though, unless it was explained and I missed it.
    Ive scaled it to my size and everything, but the problem I have is, when I goto print, it says the paper size is pepakura default, and asks me to switch. Is there specifically something I should be doing before printing it?