Optimus Prime (Duck Tape) Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

chwbcc1

I am still away but only barely!

I've been up to my elbows with work, family and Sophie's MC armor I never got around to making Elijah's costume, that is until tonight. It's been a marathon and I still have a few things I need to touch up but the hard part is over.

The supplies I used were to make a suit for a 5 year old so you will have to adjust the materials as you see fit.

Supplies

2 Small Card Board packing boxes

1 Paper towel tube

2 soda cans

1 plastic bag

2 Duck Tape tubes

1 Printed lightening bolt sheet for the windows. (you can make this in MS Word it doesn't have to be fancy)

Duck Tape

2 Blue

2 Red

2 General usage

1 Black

1 Yellow

1 Chrome/Silver

Tools

Scissors

Mat Knife

Soccer ball

First put the plastic bag over the soccer ball. Pull it tight and start taping the bowl shape for the helmet with teh general Duck Tape.

Next cut pieces to form the ears and the visor and the crest. tape them down with teh General Duck Tape and once you have everythign in place cover the helmet with the Blue Duck Tape.

Tada one awesome helmet! I learned this Technique from the Batman Duck Tape Mask at www.Instructables.com check it out pretty cool.

I then cut the boxes up to form the shapes, connected everthing with the General tape and covered the assembled part with the appropiate color. I loosely followed the Optimus Prime instructable. I didn't really follow the instructions but instead looked at the photos because I knew I didn't have the time to be that detailed!

I used the Soda cans for the gas tanks on the legs, the Towel Tube for teh smoke stacks, and the Tape Tubes for the faux wheels. (I know I don't have enough wheels but come on there is only some much room to attach things when you are gluing them to a 5 year old... I mean ... never mind!

I spent just over $30 for the tape, I had the boxes and cans and the tubes so this was a raelly inexpensive way to quickly make a costume. I would have spent about $19.99 for the Wal-mart costume of Optimus so why not make something unique!

I still need to buy some things so I expect this to cost about $40 total.

I need gloves, black shirt and pants for Elijah to wear under the suit. (5T children clothes are cheap!)

I also need to finish up some details. I still need to create the Autobot logo and I think I am going to pad parts to make it more stable.

I'm foregoing the shoe shells and letting him wear sneakers so it's easier to get around tomorrow night.

So let me know what you think!

Peace,

I'll post more on Sunday, after I recover some sleep! :)

Peace Gang,

Chwbcc

I absolutley LOVE this .I wish I had it when I was akid but I dress as Darth Vader Instead . For 6 hours it rocks (still have to make my kids marine armo by tommorow (whew :( ) . It looke so Friggin cool. You get 10 Ernergon Cubes & a Thumbs Up

th_Cardboardcostume060.jpg

Looks Kool sir. Ive had this laying around for a while now, though I still haven't broken him up or unfolded him. Anyone who wants to is welcome. Though you get first crack as you have shown an actual interest in the man himself OPTIMUS PRIME.

optimusprimepep.jpg

[attachment=13142:$ptimusprime.zip]

The costume looks awesome!!!

Your kid is going to make all of the other kids jealous!!!

Ben, that file is Wicked!!!! I might build myself a Prime in the future!!

-Pony

I would love to build your Optimus! The costume I made for my son will fit him for a couple more months then maybe I can do some Prime and Jr. photos for the old online scrap book! :) (HOLY Massive unfolds Batman... 302 part on a ga-gillion sheets... I love it!)

I still have much to do tonight but both of my costumes are just about finished... right in the nick of time.

Oh I'll adopt anyone for one of those really nice frag grenades or spar parts, old molds, Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers! I'm cool like that :)

I'll post more pics later tonight.

That's awesome!!! I have a 9 year old who I just about done with his helmet. Just in time for tomorrow. Last year he was master chief and that

cost around 80 bucks for the whole costume. I intend on making him his ODST armor but he's growin a 1/4 inch a month so I have to scale it just right then he will outgrow it.

Good job on Optimus!!! :D

Skwerel said:
That's awesome!!! I have a 9 year old who I just about done with his helmet. Just in time for tomorrow. Last year he was master chief and that

cost around 80 bucks for the whole costume. I intend on making him his ODST armor but he's growin a 1/4 inch a month so I have to scale it just right then he will outgrow it.

Good job on Optimus!!! :D

LOL, so it's like shooting for the moon you have to gauge it just right or you'll miss it completely. That's awesome!

I think this is going to be a yearly occurrence in our household. We already have next year's idea! The Whole family is going to do KISS! hehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
teletron1 said:
I absolutley LOVE this .I wish I had it when I was akid but I dress as Darth Vader Instead . For 6 hours it rocks (still have to make my kids marine armo by tommorow (whew :( ) . It looke so Friggin cool. You get 10 Ernergon Cubes & a Thumbs Up

th_Cardboardcostume060.jpg

TY, I love the the High Heel boots for your armor! Very Heavy Metal 2000!

Darth Vader is still cool... I was very familiar with Darth Vader at Disney's Star Wars Weekends.

How many Energon Cubes do I need for the mail in Action Figure? I would love to see how your marine comes out. Post some Pics when you get it finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have never thought of using duct tape instead of paint. Pure genius!!

I can't wait to see what wacky ideas you come up with for me to steal (I mean borrow ;) ) when you start on your Space Marine build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back