other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobtastic

I am a 17 year old from a lower-middle-class family, and i would like to make my own armor for an event. this is my first set of armor and i do not have any of the tools or safety equipment necessary to make the armor, except the dremel. i can afford to buy the tools, safety equipment,fibreglass and resin, but as i dont have a lot of money, it would put a HUGE dent in my spending money. i was wondering if i could use papier-mache as a cheaper alternative to the resin and fibreglass. would this work? please help.

I would recommend using EVA foam (the stuff used to create removable garage floors). The stuff is cheap, easy to form and minimal safety gear is required. There are several WIP threads and a video on how to get started created by Ben Streeper.

Just put EVA foam in the "search" bar at the top of the page.

There's another one by TD2253 that I saw on here using foam rubber for his suit. He's doing a UNSC trooper rather than a Spartan, but the concept is probably the same. About the single most expensive piece he's got, that I've seen, is the helmet. He uses a bicycle helmet for the base. The results look good so far. No idea about durability, but if you only need it for a single event, it should be tough enough.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29532-Reach-UNSC-Trooper-WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back