Pacific Regiment Booth Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm... The pc/tablet... Is there a possibility that it could be running Windows 10? eg. MS Surface? I'm thinking about it would be cool and interactive for Cortana to be active on it. Perhaps add a good mic and speaker system. A good internet connection would be an asset too.

Hmmmm... The pc/tablet... Is there a possibility that it could be running Windows 10?

It is an RCA tablet that runs windows 10. Not sure how the internet connection will happen, but I do want to explore this possibility so that people can sign up on the forum at the show. But I love the idea of using Cortana! I'll look into getting a mic for it.

I’ll get some art done for you for that booth, duke. Working on it now!

Great! I'll get those rack measurements so you can do a CAD drawing too! I got Rogers Highschool to let me use their CNC no charge.

I did a lot of drawing today and I have a good chunk of the wood parts planned out.

Just a quickie. Didn’t have too much time to shade it nice, but it looks a lot more decorative, at least. I wrote some notes there, too.
AF65BCF2-9810-499E-B5C6-2CD926899FB5.jpeg
I’ll work on the 3D model once I get all of your guys’ feedback.
Also, don’t mind the sloppy handwriting. Writing digitally is weird. :p

Last edited:

Very cool Blackwell! I love the visual aspects of it. You definitely captured the futuristic look. But, maybe we can talk about it in person sometime to discuss how we'd go about actually creating it? From what I'm seeing you've given up some of main functionality components that would also make construction a challenge.

The big part that now seems like a challenge is being able to build that so it is sturdy and can break down quickly into one box. You've made the base box smaller and added lights to it which would reduce the amount of pieces that could fit into it. The terminal itself looks neat, but it I'd really want it to be able to show an actual slideshow which would have to be on a small screen because that is all I can afford.

I'm not saying we should throw out the idea. But, we'll have to take a hard look at what we can do. I'd love to incorporate these ideas. Would you be willing to work with me on how we could do that?

*edit: another thing I like is the crate idea. I'll have extra things to bring like extra guns and helmets. Keeping them in custom printed cardboard boxes could add to the booth's image.

Last edited:
Very cool Blackwell! I love the visual aspects of it. You definitely captured the futuristic look. But, maybe we can talk about it in person sometime to discuss how we'd go about actually creating it? From what I'm seeing you've given up some of main functionality components that would also make construction a challenge.

The big part that now seems like a challenge is being able to build that so it is sturdy and can break down quickly into one box. You've made the base box smaller and added lights to it which would reduce the amount of pieces that could fit into it. The terminal itself looks neat, but it I'd really want it to be able to show an actual slideshow which would have to be on a small screen because that is all I can afford.

I'm not saying we should throw out the idea. But, we'll have to take a hard look at what we can do. I'd love to incorporate these ideas. Would you be willing to work with me on how we could do that?

*edit: another thing I like is the crate idea. I'll have extra things to bring like extra guns and helmets. Keeping them in custom printed cardboard boxes could add to the booth's image.
You seem to misunderstand here. I'm here to help you visualize a more Halo-ey booth and get it designed. I've already visualized assembly for the most part. You would just need to think about assembly more creatively.
I didn't draw the stuff you incorporated (like hinges) because you already knew you wanted them in the final. No need to draw them.

take the bottom front of the terminal for example.

Ez-pz.
upload_2018-5-30_10-31-52.png
upload_2018-5-30_10-32-38.png
Cut some decorative holes in the final model, and let the CNC cut them. Back the cut holes with foam board to seal it. The machine could do the chamfers, too. I have an idea for the slant on the desk as well. The CNC machine can cut chamfers on the mating edges. You could use a table saw for the bevels if you wanted instead of the machine. the bond would look nicer that way.

I removed the floor and extra walls of the weapon rack are because it was unnecessary. We're going for less weight here.

Once I move to CAD, i'll alter the design to make it more functional. Art doesn't serve that purpose. Those two notches in the front of the desk may be difficult, so I might just omit those, or make it shallower. It will all make more sense later. I suggest downloading fusion 360 so I can show you the files. It will make some sort of sense, I promise. :p

I'm not going to lie it honestly gives me anxiety looking at it. I've done a lot of wood working and things on paper present a whole mess of problems once you start assembling it. A table top model like that no problem. A large scale presents so many factors. Weight is actually a concern just as much being too light as it is too heavy. Or like the example you gave of the lower box. Having one wall consist of three walls means it would not be able to hold nearly the weight one wall could. You'd be better off having a full wall then putting two pieces on the outside for accents, but then you'd have seams when looking at it from the sides..

But, I will download Fusion 360 and give it my best understanding. I really do appreciate it.

It's one thing to say it should have hinges, another to actually have them. I sat down with someone this weekend and we spent two hours just figuring out where things like hinges would go, what would impede them from fully collapsing or how big something would need to be to and where supports would go to function properly. Even down to small details like adding a lip to the bottom base of the weapons rack to visually discourage people from walking up into the weapons rack. lol. I wish I had known you were planning such a full redesign. :whistle:

If anything I'd love an excuse to poke around in Fusion and have you show me the ropes! :)

Just a quickie. Didn’t have too much time to shade it nice, but it looks a lot more decorative, at least. I wrote some notes there, too.
View attachment 255773
I’ll work on the 3D model once I get all of your guys’ feedback.
Also, don’t mind the sloppy handwriting. Writing digitally is weird. :p
I really like this approach. there are some elements of this that can really reduce some weight and assembly. there are a few features that may have to be paint elements versus physical cutouts for ease of production but this is the right track. I would really approach this from a more simplistic white shapes and makes me want to dive into sketchup for this purpose to reimagine my booth.

Thanks for stopping by and chatting about this with me today mblackwell1002

I think we can incorporate more of your design than I originally thought. I'll sit down again and see what happens. Look for a new drawing this weekend and let me know what you think!

mblackwell1002 - have I told you that you're a genius lately? Sorry I was so abrupt with your last suggestion. I was just nervous.

It does look really cool and I want to make it work. I've been working through your design and trying to tweak it with construction in mind, but also things like where's the mannequin going to go, where's the tablet going to go. Well it's not even close to planned out, but I'm making progress.

15281762940866018195631391269833.jpg

FANGS it's starting to feel like work! :cry:

20180607_165856.jpg

I'm 12 hours into this project and still not ready to cut anything. I've got half the cut list done though.

I'll be creating a new thread. Now that the ideas are done being discussed the new thread will be a build blog / tutorial on how we made this.

One last suggestion though came from TurboCharizard who gave me the idea to have the weapon rack not collapse, but rather hang on the outside of the wheel rack. Very excited to incorporate that.

Latest update. One of my customers is a Highschool that has a CNC machine. They've offered to let us use it. Now we just have to get Blackwell to CAD it so we can cut it before school's out.

Ha! I know I know....but you'll be so proud when it's all done!

That's awesome Blackwell!!!!

I wanted to elaborate on the "Match Dowels A" thing. Lining up dowels by hand is a big pain, so wherever we can get the CNC to machine both sides of the dowel we have to be sure they match. So if you were to take the Box Base front and the Box Skirt front and set them on top of each other the dowels should line up exactly the same.
mblackwell1002

It will be sweet in the 3d if we are able to virtually assemble it.

Consider having your skirt magnet attach for easy removal versus dowels. Anything you can lay flat is best. Anything where you don't have to have a bunch of loose parts is also best.

I'd like to get everyone's opinion.. (if you can't post here then please message me your vote)

I've been doing some color mock ups. Let me know if any of these stand out to you or if you have an image I can use for a different color scheme.

There are a couple more flag color options, but I at least show it in the plain black 405th flag or the regiment flag.

Arc Light
arclight black flag.jpg arclight reg flag.jpg

The Answer
The Answer blackflag.jpg The Answer reg flag.jpg

Regiment Colors
Pacific blackflag.jpg Pacific reg flag.jpg

Desert:
Desert blackflag.jpg Desert reg flag.jpg

Here's the blank one if you want to add your own colors in Paint
color blank.jpg

I like the lighter colors as a base because I feel it will make the booth feel more approachable.

Last edited:
Not a massive fan of the Arclight one actually. I like the design of the Answer, but with Arclight colors.

Now imma turn your blank into an adult coloring book and enjoy myself. :p

EDIT:

Yeah, I like the Answer version with the black/white flag. I do wish the orange be red and the green be a bit lighter. I think the Misriah logo and perhaps a small UNSC falcon head would look really nice.

Last edited:
The designs were not meant as the proposal, just something to give an idea showing the colors. I can only do so much with MS Paint! :)

So I'm going to take your vote as arc light as well since we're only really looking at the color pallet which you stated you liked the red and green.

Earlier we talked about the base color you were leaning towards a tan.. still the case?

mblackwell1002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back