Paint your armor MC green in under 5 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xombie4less

For $5.50, and in less than 5 minutes, you too can paint your Master Chief monkey suit almost the exact same green-pearl as portrayed by the McFarlane action figure and the H3 legendary helmet! I was at WalMart earlier this evening and found a can of "Kustom Kolor, Pearl Color Coat, Limetime Green Pearl" on the clearance rack. The color sample on the back looked similar to MC, but a little lighter, so I also bought a can of "Krylon, Camouflage, Ultra-Flat, Black" to use as the primer coat. My armor-in-progress is of the pepakura variety, and since the handplate is the easiest to rebuild, I decided that would be the best canidate for the test. The Krylon paint dries really very quickly, so I gave it one good coat of flat black primer (on top of the standard gray), let it dry for 2 or 3 minutes, then sprayed on one coat of the green pearl color. It is really hard to tell how close the colors are in the picture, but I will be more than happy to post a new picture tomorrow when my lighting situation is better if anyone is interested.

[attachment=4464:primer.jpg] [attachment=4465:topcoat.jpg] [attachment=4466:compare.jpg]

Wait, House of Kolor paint... at a walmart??? That's unheard of!
I need to look at my local walmarts and check that out.

House of Kolor is the pioneer in the custom automotive paint systems. They created the Kandy, Chameleon...
I didn't even think they'd have spray versions. Cool.

AWESOME! Believe it or not, I was looking at a similiar color by HoK and another by PPG. I had no clue they had sprays too. Sweet find. :D

xombie4less said:
Yeah, it's in the airbrush section next to the low-rider models :)

Now it makes sense.. Lowriders! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The only size can that they have is 4oz, but they were on clearance for $2, so I went back and got the other 8 cans that were left.

This is the final product with one coat of black primer and one coat of Kustom Kolor? =O .. I think I may have a new candidate for my armor. You just used a rattle can version not via a spray gun right and NO clear coat? Let's get a few pictures with some better lighting, you may be saving me hundreds of dollars sir...

Cheers,
Kensai

It's kinda funny, you've been around longer than everyone in the thread yet this is one of your first posts.

Good contribution, sticky please? If I can find some this stuff I'll definitely be using it. I also second the motion for better lighting/more pics.

Dark Rogue said:
It's kinda funny, you've been around longer than everyone in the thread yet this is one of your first posts.

IV been here scince the begining, and i havent posted much I mostly watch. I dont have any $$$ so untill i get a job my amour has to wait :(

But good topic. MAbey put up links for the n00bs so they can buy it. Great job

Spartan 118 said:
IV been here scince the begining, and i havent posted much I mostly watch. I dont have any $$$ so untill i get a job my amour has to wait

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I was just saying. It's probably better to watch and learn and post about contributing, encouraging, or just plain commenting.

Wow that worked great on the handplate! the color is actually amazing!....its just too damn bad that theres no Walmart anywhere near me...I've actually never even BEEN inside one.... would I be able to find those cans-o-paint at a home depot?

I guess it is kind of funny that my member # is 157, and starting this thread was my 3rd post since joining. Do not fear, I have been documenting a few different aspects of my armor construction to post as tutorials, so I am sure that everyone in the 405th will be tired of seeing my name soon enough :)

Most of my interactions on the forum are through PMs. The members of this forum are a little less uptight than others, but lets just say that through my own observation I have come to my own conclusions. Unless I have some information of value to contribute, I'll just keep it to myself!

Ok, now that I have said my peace, back to the topic of this thread...

Since my GM would probably frown upon me spray painting my armor in my cubicle, I am going to grab my camera and take some nice outdoor pics, during my lunch break, of the painted hand plate between the action figure and the legendary helmet so that everyone can see how close the colors match.

Until I get the new pics up, here's a little more info on the product and the process...

The black can of pain was about $2.50, not on clearance.
The green can of paint was $4.50 before the markdown.

The finished product picture in the first post was painted very quickly as a test. I really didn't think that it would come out as good as it did. The top coat isn't even what would be considered a full coat and there is no clear coat applied at all. What you see is one very heavy coat of fast drying primer and one sloppy top coat, but it looks awesome, even the texture is a very close match.

I have been building paper/fiberglass armor props for about 3 years (since I joined TDH to build my own Boba!) so let's just say that I have gotten pretty good at the rattle-can paint technique!

We all know how many "test" pieces get built before the artist is happy. It is a huge commitment when you decide to take the time to sit down and put the time into making the piece look perfect, and no one wants to screw it up in the final stage, so I also plan on posting a video of the entire painting process so that everyone can see how easy it really is.

Product Information:
<a href="http://www.kustomkolorpaints.com/kustomkolor/aerosol.jsp" target="_blank">Kustom Kolor - 4 OZ PRODUCT OVERVIEW
</a>

Here is a link to a $10.99 6oz can on Amazon that appears to be the same top coat as the one that I used, just branded for the automotive section instead of the model car section, but manufactured by the same company:
Shimrins Pearls Color Coat, LimeTime, 6 oz. can

It is an automotive paint company, called House of Kolor, and the paint that I used is from their line of model car painting products. They offer most of the colors in a spray can or ready to airbrush jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back