Paint,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how much you'd need since the size of the suit is the determining factor, but I followed ExCeLLuR8's example and used latex housepaint. Let me tell you, I am so impressed with it that I don't think I'll ever go back.

A good undercoating of leak seal and the stuff is incredible!

Not sure how much you'd need since the size of the suit is the determining factor, but I followed ExCeLLuR8's example and used latex housepaint. Let me tell you, I am so impressed with it that I don't think I'll ever go back.

A good undercoating of leak seal and the stuff is incredible!
latex house paint? Well looks like I found my paint i'm going with. Do you know if you are able to black wash with acrylics and use that?

Housepaint you CAN black wash. I ended up renting a paint sprayer, going out back, and spraying all the armor pieces at once. It was a really quick really efficient way to get a super quick base coat on. Just don't get too close with it.

After that the detail painting and a little touch up is all you'll need.

Housepaint you CAN black wash. I ended up renting a paint sprayer, going out back, and spraying all the armor pieces at once. It was a really quick really efficient way to get a super quick base coat on. Just don't get too close with it.

After that the detail painting and a little touch up is all you'll need.
Do you use interior or exterior paint? And not paint and primer in 1 i take it, just paint?
I also assume you didn't have an under coat of a different color then.

Last edited:
Yes, whereisdanielle also uses latex house paint. I would not recommend painting over any existing paint however, even with the crazy flexible house paints. honestly in all the extensive testing I've done, painting over paint or repainting over layers of existing paints, especially different types of paints is not a good idea for long term durability and flexibility. The more paint build up the more cracking increase on eva foam. So with thay said, I try to limit how much paint on top of other types of paint, especially on base coats. If you are set on a repaint, I would definitely try to use what ever you used before on the original paint job so that the flexibility agrees with what you already have on there.

The latex house paint is extremely strong, flexible like a rubber band and durable painted directly onto your sealer coat. TurboCharizard got me on to Rustoleum Leak Seal a while back and him and I use it religiously. It's very strong foam sealer and is sandable. Once my Leak seal rubber coating is done, I lightly sand my entire suit smooth and also helps even better with the base paint adhesion. Leak seal does not peel, wrinkle, or crack, it actually makes the foam feel stronger.

The house paint I use is Sherwin Williams Interior/Exterior enamel latex paint. It's about $25 a quart and color matching options are endless. I used about half a quart of the paint for my based coat on my Halo 3 Chief. I thin the house paint with water till it flows through my airbrush well. I usually lay about 2-3 good coats. I then high light my edges with a light color like tan acrylic using my air brush. I then spray one more light coat of base house paint, this gives the edges a nice worn lighter version of the base coat and also gives great depth to the base.

Yes it black washes incredibly well with very watery washes. I build my washes up in layers to achieve the color tone I want. The house paint is also water proof as well and of course if using Leak Seal, so is that as well.

Acrylic paints are also great durability wise and I use those for all the detail painting, washes, and scratchs.

For grimy weathering in crevasse, I really love water soluble oil paints using a brush then wiping them off to the desired effect.

20190712_225304.jpg
20190724_023843.jpg

Last edited:
ExCeLLuR8 for my sanity sake... is it possible to brush this on? (not an airbrush)
You can, but I will say that the finish is totally different, not even just the fact that you will have brush marks of some kind. The paint is satin which is good because flats or mattes tend to look chalky plus spartan armor especially in halo 3 does have a slight shine to it but not glossy by any means. When airbrushing this house paint on, it knocks down the satin a little more and actually makes slightly more matte in appearance, but still remaining satin, not shiny. I actually think air brushing on the house paints makes the finish look exactly like the swatch card you'll get at the store vs brushing on, it doesnt match the swatch cards nearly as well.

If you dont have access to an airbrush, talk to Sean about the rented sprayer from Home depot, he has more experience with that equipment. I will say this, the airbrush takes way longer to apply the base coat, but you have great control of where the paint goes which means less taping off of areas. I airbrushed all colors onto my suit other than weathering and scratches, which is a whole another topic by itself.

Whatever you do, DO NOT use the cheap test samples that you can get for $8 as your final paint on your armor. They're cheap for a reason and actually rub right off with a little friction and water destroys them, I tested that as well. The good stuff that costs $25 does not rub off, is crazy tough and actually water proof! My armor suffered no damage whatsoever from Philly Outpost, putting about 12-15hrs total use on the suit at the show alone.

I go the brush on route myself. Liquitex acrylic is my go to paints. The Basics line is the cheaper end. The paint is a little thin though. You need to apply at least 3 to 4 coats to get a good solid colour.
Yeah I've see great results with these but have not tested as much. I plan to use these on my wife's wonder woman suit when I get to that. I saw a girl on youtube painting an awesome WW girdle with these paints just sponging on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back