Painting and priming

Status
Not open for further replies.
plastidip has always come out pretty smooth for me. I think this leak seal is just old and shitty lol. I hit most of it with a mouse sander and 340 grit last night and its looking like a good thick coat of plastidip may finish it off a little better before base paint color goes on. The rest of the texture I'll call heat scale from a drop lol

plastidip has always come out pretty smooth for me. I think this leak seal is just old and shitty lol. I hit most of it with a mouse sander and 340 grit last night and its looking like a good thick coat of plastidip may finish it off a little better before base paint color goes on. The rest of the texture I'll call heat scale from a drop lol
Awesome man, glad you were able to correct it

Awesome man, glad you were able to correct it
I sanded it a bit and went and hit it with a couple coats of plastidip and it's looking a bit better especially on the front. 20190209_103927.jpg 20190209_103929.jpg 20190209_103856.jpg 20190209_103859.jpg 20190209_103923.jpg 20190209_103903.jpg 20190209_103920.jpg

Heat seal not leak seal :) turbo wants to know if you used a heat gun or something of the source to heat up the foam and close all the pores before painting, because I beleive this would explain the paint seeping into the pores and holes a d not creating a flat surface...
You aren't supposed to heat seal the foam while using the Leak Seal from everything I have read or watched. This piece was coated with leak seal that didn't spray right then sanded and coated with plastidip.

You aren't supposed to heat seal the foam while using the Leak Seal from everything I have read or watched. This piece was coated with leak seal that didn't spray right then sanded and coated with plastidip.
I heat seal my foam and then give three coats of LeakSeal and haven't had an issue before. Interesting.

Same here, heat treat and RUSTOLEUM leak seal seriously extremely tough finish, does not wrinkle at all. Just super tough!
Agreed on the super tough, I've easily put 100 hours of wear time into this costume so far and have trucked it all over in rather uncaring fashion and it's surface stays near pristine. I think the only spot that's worn down slightly is at the cuff of the forearm.
3433249-2.jpg
I've used PlastiDip, FlexiDip, liquid latex and a few others for sealing foam but Rustoleum LeakSeal is by far the most reliable so far.

Agreed on the super tough, I've easily put 100 hours of wear time into this costume so far and have trucked it all over in rather uncaring fashion and it's surface stays near pristine. I think the only spot that's worn down slightly is at the cuff of the forearm.
View attachment 266041
I've used PlastiDip, FlexiDip, liquid latex and a few others for sealing foam but Rustoleum LeakSeal is by far the most reliable so far.
Yeah buddy, rustoleum products are always fantastic quality. Hard to beat, your armor is amazing btw. Love the detail! Amazing work! I look forward to wearing my armor a lot also once it's complete, it's so comfortable to wear once I have it on I want to stay in it. Haha

Does anyone happen to know if Leak Seal is latex rubber based? I only asked because I have allergic reactions to latex rubber.
I took a look through the product page and the different data sheets but couldn't really come up with anything that was specific to a latex base.
MSDS
There is some different binding agents that are typically used with latex based paints and hardeners like ethyl acetate. Do you know what exactly triggers the allergy?

I took a look through the product page and the different data sheets but couldn't really come up with anything that was specific to a latex base.
MSDS
There is some different binding agents that are typically used with latex based paints and hardeners like ethyl acetate. Do you know what exactly triggers the allergy?
From what I can tell it's the latex rubber itself. I found out the hard way that I was allergic from wearing yellow dish washing latex gloves that we wear on the production lines at work.
I'm only bringing up the rubber question because when I was looking at the can it mentions that it's a rubber sealant.
My first reaction was 'oh poop.... That's not good for me.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back