Paper mache question, does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukavago

BMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S404
To start off, I did use the search function and came up empty. I then spent several hours looking through the forums trying to find the info I need. If I simply missed something, let me know and I'll get rid of this.

I'm building an ODST suit with a couple of weapons to go with it, the BR and the Pistol. I'm paying for school and life so I don't have a whole lot of money to drop on this project. As such, I'm trying to avoid the fiberglass method. Living in the deep south kills the hot glue method for me as well. Just too hot down here. So that got me thinking on other things I could do to make this work. Paper mache is my current answer, and i decided to see if anyone had any experience in dealing with it on a project like this. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be posting a WIP thread soon, so keep an eye out for it please.

pepakura is the easiest way to built your own armor... its cheap and good for a kick start in this scene.
just download the pepakura viewer / designer for free and download some blueprints.

the resin and bondo step is the hardest for your nerves, because its annoying to sand and its always the same without making serious advances.
but 10 bucks for cardstock and some hot glue for the flaps and you are going... the resin and the bondo coast 20-30 bucks... i think for a low detail its enough but if you want to make it serious and professional you need lots of more.
with some tricks you should keep the price down but this is not a one-day engagement... you have to spend time and money... but you can controll the relations.

btw: the hot glue method is a joke... resin + bondo or combine them to rondo is the best method for a start... molding is the second step but not so easy

just read the stickys... here is a shopping list

I havent tried it myself but it does sound interesting. I would imagine it wouldnt be very strong though. Maybe if you used that, then painted, and then multiple coats of a strongish kind of lacquer over it all.
Another idea, since your low on money, is save up some of it, and get some nice supplies (fiberglass, bondo, etc) and make a nice looking helmet or something universal that can go with other peoples armor, and then just mold it and sell the casts. You would then have a nice universal item and also have some extra money on the side for all your other items you might plan on making.

Many paper mache helmets have been made. None have ever turned out good because of warping of the pep by becoming damp.

I am also in the deep south and the hot glue method does work down here if you want to go that route (Just don't wear it outside in 105+ heat). Just be sure to seal the pep first (usually with resin)

And fiberglass and resin with brushes will run you about $45 for the whole suit. You telling me you can't drop less than a new video game on making a whole suit?

Also the resin is the main thing. You can use old cloth or T-shirts instead of fiberglass if you really want to save a couple of bucks. The resin however is essential, even to the hotglue method.

I did paper mache and it worked, its pretty tough. So search for "alternitive to resin" and you will find some info on paper mache and a couple exmaples.

Harican89 is correct.
Pepakura is a good start.
Since the hot glue method is a no go. I have heard of many crafters using super glue with great success
You will need something to harden the pieces. I have tried 4 layers of resin on my pieces. 2 on the outside and 2 on the inside. It was stiff, but not stiff enough to wear. So you will definitly need something more to make it more solid. Rondo is a good cheap choice and is quick and easy to apply.

--- When you decide to start, remember, progress pics are important! ---

Good luck with your project!

I've been pepping for a while now, I have the helmet fully pepped and about most of a battle rifle. As far as the hot glue method being a joke, anything that works isn't a joke. Some people can't work with fiber or bondo, so that's the option they have left. I've never worked with either and was hoping to avoid it if I could. Mistakes with that cost a bit more then with paper. I would also have to buy all the safety gear and such. That's why I'm asking about the paper mache idea. $30 for all of that or almost $100 for the other stuff. Oh and Phantom, I thought about that too. What I was thinking was several layers of paper crossing over each other for added strength, then a layer of paint, and finally a layer of basically varnish as a sealer and hopefully some more strength. It won't be the strongest suit in the world, but if it works, it works.

I havent tried it myself but it does sound interesting. I would imagine it wouldnt be very strong though. Maybe if you used that, then painted, and then multiple coats of a strongish kind of lacquer over it all.
Another idea, since your low on money, is save up some of it, and get some nice supplies (fiberglass, bondo, etc) and make a nice looking helmet or something universal that can go with other peoples armor, and then just mold it and sell the casts. You would then have a nice universal item and also have some extra money on the side for all your other items you might plan on making.

I think you might have misread, it would cost a lot of money to get going but Im sure it could pay out in the end, although I have never looked into the pricing of it all.

I looked yours up and it was one of the better mache ones I've seen but still suffers from the same problems. It was warped (especially the helmet) and it had that rough papery finish on the outside like an egg carton. Mache can't even begin to compare to resin when it comes to a finished product.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25183-H2-odst

Actually the best way to do it would be just slush-casting Rondo into the pieces but that will run you a little more than fiberglass.

Well, I would like to thank everyone for there opinions and suggestions. Here is what I've decided to do. I'm gonna do a test with something small but still with a lot of details that I would like to show up. I did always want a scorpion on my desk (the tank, not the bug). As I mentioned earlier, I will be starting a WIP in the near future, once I get my camera working again. The tank, once done, will be posted here as an example of what paper mache can do. Depending on how it turns out, I'll either try it on a larger piece, or go with one of the more traditional methods. Again, thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Paper mache is okay for cheapness, but not quality.

I spent only $40 getting the supplies, ie. glue gun, glue, paints, cardstock, etc. It would've been even cheaper if I already had the stuff at home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/kupo_kitty44/MJOLNIR%20ARMOR/Halo-evenmorepix002.jpg

everyone has adults, friends or neighbours with some helpfull supply. just ask them.
and the quality of a cardstock (pepakura model) is only based on the skills and the time you spend on it.
if you take cardstock, fold a crappy and warped helmet, then overlay it with tons of spraypaint... yeah ... then it will look like a piece of crap.
just spend time on it... dont rush into it and read stickys and helpfull tutorials.
yesterday i finished the first tutorial of painting an odst helmet with a few basics (link)

its really helpfull... and btw. i spend round about (needed materials: ~2€ cardstock, 6€ resin, 2€ fiberglas, 10€ diffrent kinds of bondo, 2€ sandpaper and 10€ spraypaint out of the graffity scene) 32€ on it...

imag0042u.jpg

molding isnt the only way to create good looking halo armor... just take your time
btw: there is my WIP odst thread in my signature

I looked yours up and it was one of the better mache ones I've seen but still suffers from the same problems. It was warped (especially the helmet) and it had that rough papery finish on the outside like an egg carton. Mache can't even begin to compare to resin when it comes to a finished product.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25183-H2-odst

Actually the best way to do it would be just slush-casting Rondo into the pieces but that will run you a little more than fiberglass.

Yeah i know that know because I didn't put in the visor part of the helmet = warping of the helmet. It was a bad on my part. The paper giving a rough look can be fixed with bondo, I didn't use any. Also it was my first build with peping and paper mache, but I feel that I can remake the helmet with no problems. And thanks for the compliment.

Well, I would like to thank everyone for there opinions and suggestions. Here is what I've decided to do. I'm gonna do a test with something small but still with a lot of details that I would like to show up. I did always want a scorpion on my desk (the tank, not the bug). As I mentioned earlier, I will be starting a WIP in the near future, once I get my camera working again. The tank, once done, will be posted here as an example of what paper mache can do. Depending on how it turns out, I'll either try it on a larger piece, or go with one of the more traditional methods. Again, thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Check out the "alternative to resin" thread for info on how and what to use to make it as good as can be. Also you might want to clear coat it first to prevent warping.

Paper mache is okay for cheapness, but not quality.

I spent only $40 getting the supplies, ie. glue gun, glue, paints, cardstock, etc. It would've been even cheaper if I already had the stuff at home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/kupo_kitty44/MJOLNIR ARMOR/Halo-evenmorepix002.jpg

Quality can be achieved, its just that no one has tried any further to advance with paper mache. I am doing paper mache all the way.

Paper Mache DOES work, Its the only thing I've ever used. I think it is very cheap and very accurate, now I know I'm not much of an artist. But I think the Results are good if you take your time.

This is my Suit and Assault Rifle that I built out of Cardboard, hotglue and papermache

th_100_1327.jpg

th_100_1330.jpg

th_IMAG0098.jpg

thanks jeff, good work!
I know paper mache works, but I think that if i use "DAS" white modelling clay, I will acelerate the process. But maybe the helmet will be to heavy= i dont know.

You can try the foam rubber method by shopping at most automotive supply store and you'll get 4 mats of 24"x24". For about $12 dollars for the 4 mats, you can pretty much build a whole ODST suit. Use the Pepakura files as templates then cut-out the foam rubber parts then use super glue to assemble them. Worked great for my Reach UNSC Trooper armor. Click on my signature below to see how I made mine from foam rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back