Papercraft and armour making

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediFraz

I saw this guys site in my Aliens related travels.

http://aliens.humlak.cz/aliens/Aliens_papirove_modely.htm

Jan's process uses a freeware program called Pepakura Designer. It's a program specifically designed to make 3D onjects into 2D folding patterns.

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

Im wondering if it would be possible to use the actual 3d game object to create a Template for making carboard armour..?

And why stop there? In theory, If you broke the mesh into small enough peices Carboard replicas of any ingame object would be possible.

Only one problem I can find the in-game model may not be detailed enough to make reasonable patterns from.

Anybody have a high resolution mesh of the chief?

Hi-Res, huh? That would be DOOM's department. The Halo 2 MC was piled up with a bump-map that makes it 'look' detailed, but as far as a really Hi-Res, detailed constructed MC model. I don't know of one.

I myself don't know of a highpoly/highly detailed cheif model that has been made. Mainly in Halo, its the bitmaps and shaders that do all the work to achive a incredible final look ingame. The bump map really brings out detail, but isnt actual geometry. It just reacts to light which makes it look like geometry on the model while keeping the polys onscreen low and the final result really good.

Good luck finding a high poly model, if there was one, I don't think anyone would be just offering it online.

-Doom

Encryption Code: Red

Public Key: NO FILE: SEE CLASIFICATION

To: All UNSC Ships

Subject: OPERATION MJOLNIR

Classification:EYES ONLY TOP SECRET (SECTION III X-RAY DIRECTIVE)

/file extraction-reconstitution complete/

/start file/

sry if this is a noob question but could you extract the model of the mc from a cinematic?

/end file/

/scramble-destruction process enabled/

DOOM has done it, but the cinematic just uses the bump-mapping and a crap load of textures to make MC look good. I know. Kinda half-ass MC. :$ops:

=p, There is No cinematic MC model. There is special ingame lighting for cinematics but the models are the same and are not actually high resoultion or high poly.

The cinematics use the exact same shaders as normal playing models. The special lighting just for cinematics really brings everything out a little bit more to make it look cleaner and more realistic in a way.

There is no special MC model in Halo 1 or 2. There is only one, no High Poly or Low Poly.

Sorry for the letdown =p.

-Doom

Classification: EYES ONLY TOP SECRET (SECTION III X-RAY DIRECTIVE)

/start file/

nvm the one i have is high enough poly i got it from the tutorial thread.
here is where i started.

forthesake.jpg

and heres where i ended up after an hour give or take. and a lot of tape.
off to the left you can see a little test i did.

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

note to self add to resume "origami mad man"
/end file/

Nice. I did a print of the chest peice. Took 12 sheets of A4. Once I have a go I'll post the results up.

VERY VERY nice!

I've been wanting to see this done, the breakdown of the in-game model into patterns. We've seen others that have done this:

7520280f2c.jpg

I'd love to see more parts when you get to them, and thanks for submitting your pattern too. I think that will help everybody out!

-Sean

Classification:EYES ONLY TOP SECRET (SECTION III X-RAY DIRECTIVE)

/start file/

here is the pattern for those who want it. i have NOT tested this so i dont know if it works.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t306/Bl...92/PPdesign.jpg

/end file/

JediFraz said:

thats crazy...nice work......is that card stock that you used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back