pep helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC PwN 3R

so i had cut out the pep helm using cardstock and i used masking tape to piece it together...now i read on the fiberglassing sticky that resin is gonna eat away the masking tape, but not so much of the electrical tape...so, should i use electrical tape after taking out all of the masking tape or use a glue gun to piece it together?

If it were me, i would glue gun that sucker. take a piece of tape off...glue gun the crap out of it...take another piece off....hot glue gun action...repeat.

but then...i prefer molding. some of the pep masters may tell you different.

i would mold but i really dont have a specialty shop that sells that stuff, nor do i want to buy it off the net...furthermore, no money left after halloween, spent it all on resin and fiberglass and a new 4GB psp stick...w00t

Use a glue gun. It make way better seals and the masking tape will melt fast. I made my first helmet with masking tape and before i could finish my first layer of resin, everything was falling apart. There was no saving it. Learn from my mistake, use a glue gun.

I've seen a lot of folks use a glue gun on here and I wonder why. I would think having all of those little "webs" from the glue gun would get very annoying and be all over the place. Remember back to the days when you were in elementary school and you glued something onto a piece of paper. What did you use? Elmer's School Glue. There is a LOT of positive things that can be said about using white glue.

If you want to go to the next step above Elmer's and want to stay with a water-soluble white glue, use what I use on all of my paper models. Go to Hobby Lobby and get a bottle of "The Ultimate" glue. It should cost about $4 for an 8oz bottle. It's a white, water-soluble glue like Elmer's, but has an adhesion rate (time it take to dry after sticking two pieces together) of about 10 seconds. It's called the Super Glue of white glues. Once you use it, you'll never pick up a glue gun again. Less mess, thinner joints (you can easily spread the glue across the tab as opposed to trying that with a glue gun), no webbing all over the place and best of all, the glue won't burn you or won't burn the house down if it falls off of the table. :)

Using tape in the first place is a bad idea, it shows up in the end after resin and glassing and painting. Elmers glue does a better job.

Greg said:
I've seen a lot of folks use a glue gun on here and I wonder why. I would think having all of those little "webs" from the glue gun would get very annoying and be all over the place. Remember back to the days when you were in elementary school and you glued something onto a piece of paper. What did you use? Elmer's School Glue. There is a LOT of positive things that can be said about using white glue.

If you want to go to the next step above Elmer's and want to stay with a water-soluble white glue, use what I use on all of my paper models. Go to Hobby Lobby and get a bottle of "The Ultimate" glue. It should cost about $4 for an 8oz bottle. It's a white, water-soluble glue like Elmer's, but has an adhesion rate (time it take to dry after sticking two pieces together) of about 10 seconds. It's called the Super Glue of white glues. Once you use it, you'll never pick up a glue gun again. Less mess, thinner joints (you can easily spread the glue across the tab as opposed to trying that with a glue gun), no webbing all over the place and best of all, the glue won't burn you or won't burn the house down if it falls off of the table. :)

That sounds nice. Kind of like Tacky Glue? That stuff is great for paper apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elmers glue with skill dries fast and wont come apart unless you rip the pieces of paper. Otherwise hotlue is always the best, but then you gotta be near a outlet and could burn yourself.

White glue really doesn't require much skill, I don't think. Just don't use too much of it, use your finger to spread it around so that you have one thin, even coat along the tab, and put the two pieces together.

Vexona, the glue is very much like Tacky Glue, but sets up even faster. Really, any white glue out there on the market is an excellent glue to use for paper models. I've been building paper models for a couple of years now and have found that there really is no substitute for a good white glue. Here's an example of what I was building before coming to this forum. With this type of work, a white glue is paramount. Imagine putting these pieces together with a hot glue gun. :( Everything you see was built with 80# cardstock. The trailer alone was 24 pages. All of the items are scaled at 1:24, which is the same scale as a standard plastic model car.

100_5041.jpg

100_4908.jpg

100_4907.jpg

100_5044.jpg

100_5043.jpg

100_5047.jpg

100_5044.jpg

100_5045.jpg

100_5044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back