Pepakura Fiberglass and Smoothing Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheech92007 said:
FIBER GLASS RESIN JELLY?!?! ok i went to the Auto Parts store and i got some fiberglass resin JELLY. i mixed it and it came out looking like mud. when i put it on and sanded it, it looked like mud and then looked like concrete. nothing like what the normal resin looks like. what do i do now?

i would work in the garage, close the door to the house, and open the door to outside. If u cant, work out side, fiber glass is only toxic if uve used it for like a year and without using a respirator. If ur outside and u only have a mask, ur good to go.(it doesnt travel long, only bout 5 feet

Last edited by a moderator:
Amir Rahmani said:
is fiberglass see through?

sorry, i've never used it before

for some reason, after applying the fiber glass to the card stock, it sort of becomes transperant, not see through

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tutorial. However, if I might ask...

You said you can use glue to help the fiberglass stick... Do you mean superglue? Or hot glue? Or will either one work?

Thank'ee. :)

*EDIT* My armor tore so I went ahead and used hot glue to stick down the fiberglass, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the helpful tutorial. When I read up on fiberglassing on these forums a few months ago, somehow, I came away intimidated. I was leaning towards rondo-ing instead. But now, I'm thinking: Why not go "all the way"? Fiberglass is going to end up being harder and more durable, correct?

And if I've got the organic respirator, gloves, brushes, and resin already (for rondo-ing)... it doesn't seem like much trouble to go ahead and buy some fiberglass cloth too!

I guess I'd heard that it was a lot more time-consuming. But now I think it might be worth the time investment to get that extra firmness and durability.

Thanks again for the tut!

Same here! I have all of the fiberglassing equipment and materials. So what if its messy and takes longer. I'd rather have a suit that is going to last (durable), as I intend to use the suit a lot.

Cheers! :)

Hey. Nice tut, but I'm just wondering if you know how [with pep models that have a visor thingy connected to them] to make the visor clear or clear/tinted... [Also sorry if this is a bad place to ask this but I've been looking around for hours and can't find anything]

Hey. Nice tut, but I'm just wondering if you know how [with pep models that have a visor thingy connected to them] to make the visor clear or clear/tinted... [Also sorry if this is a bad place to ask this but I've been looking around for hours and can't find anything]

You cut the paper visor out after hardening the model and put a motorcycle helmet visor with the desired colour in there.

The better place to ask would have been the Help!: Misc thread, by the way.

Awesome thread!! I feel better prepared to go on to fiberglass now!!

I do have one question though. Has any one tried peping the helmet in two halves, fiberglassing the hard to reach parts that way and then gluing the two parts together. +nce that is done just resin and glass the seam, and the rest ?

I imagine the prob wold be that the helmet doesn't truly get its shape until its entirely together. Anything else wouldn't hold the corect shape.

I recently fiberglassed the inside of an phase 2 clone trooper helmet and i was wondering how would I smoothen the inside?

great tutorial though you points were good any you explained why safety must be taken doing this thumbs up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back