Votes: 36 92.3%
  • Doesn't make a difference

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Imgur of pep files", I like it. Also, from all these files the site would slow down, it would be preferred to have it when you browse you can see an image preview and add a "Recommended", "Popular", and "Recent" sections. Make a PDF sub-section for those MAC people. Also, there could be icons displayed that link you to popular prop sites such as the 405th or The RPF. We could copy the tutorials from here and post them there.

Is MissingSpartan7's 4shared database not good enough?

It's a good idea, but it isn't absolutely necessary especially with how much traffic this hobby receives.

Unless you've got a lot of time to burn you guys shouldn't put too much effort into it (and especially if it turns out mediocre)

Maybe I'm just not understanding you guys, but I prefer shoving the huge databanks people have put together, which aren't very confusing, into any noobs who can't find anything ever.

(if you guys need help, I can't code but I am a graphic designer so I can make things clean and easy to navigate... if a role opens up, i"m here. No charge btw)

Is MissingSpartan7's 4shared database not good enough?

It's a good idea, but it isn't absolutely necessary especially with how much traffic this hobby receives.

Unless you've got a lot of time to burn you guys shouldn't put too much effort into it (and especially if it turns out mediocre)

Maybe I'm just not understanding you guys, but I prefer shoving the huge databanks people have put together, which aren't very confusing, into any noobs who can't find anything ever.

(if you guys need help, I can't code but I am a graphic designer so I can make things clean and easy to navigate... if a role opens up, i"m here. No charge btw)

Currently I am looking into building a solution on existing secure technology. If that cannot do a good enough job and I don't like how it turns out I will build a scratch solution. I have something that will probably get the job done alright though. Once I get that together I will start getting some content for it and see what people think of it in a very bare bones minimal styled way.

You asked for me, so here I am.

-------

This is something I'm in two minds about.

As Katsu mentioned, when the 4sh Database was started, the infrastructure was very different to what it is now. Currently, I'm not overly fond of it, but I make do with what I've got. Sure, it would be fantastic to upgrade the Database to something better. Images and a decent search function would be fantastic.

On the flip side of things though, the Database is the culmination of three years of work and is something I'm rather proud of. It serves its purpose just fine - what need is there to replace it with something new?

Here is my dilemma:
Do I want to assist in creating something yet unproven, and hope it is for the better, but undo and rebuild most of what I have done - or continue with the way the Database is, but if this is successful, fade into obsoletion?
Or, if it does not succeed as planned, or meet expectations - what then?

-------

The Database isn't perfect. I can think of a dozen things I'd like to add to it to improve ease of access and functionality. This might be the chance to do that.
I'm happy to provide ideas and suggestions if you are going to fully commit to this, maybe even help design some sections if you want - but I don't feel the current Database needs replacing just yet.

For now, I'll just watch what happens with interest.

MS7

You asked for me, so here I am.

-------

This is something I'm in two minds about.

As Katsu mentioned, when the 4sh Database was started, the infrastructure was very different to what it is now. Currently, I'm not overly fond of it, but I make do with what I've got. Sure, it would be fantastic to upgrade the Database to something better. Images and a decent search function would be fantastic.

On the flip side of things though, the Database is the culmination of three years of work and is something I'm rather proud of. It serves its purpose just fine - what need is there to replace it with something new?

Here is my dilemma:
Do I want to assist in creating something yet unproven, and hope it is for the better, but undo and rebuild most of what I have done - or continue with the way the Database is, but if this is successful, fade into obsoletion?
Or, if it does not succeed as planned, or meet expectations - what then?

-------

The Database isn't perfect. I can think of a dozen things I'd like to add to it to improve ease of access and functionality. This might be the chance to do that.
I'm happy to provide ideas and suggestions if you are going to fully commit to this, maybe even help design some sections if you want - but I don't feel the current Database needs replacing just yet.

For now, I'll just watch what happens with interest.

MS7

When developing a replacement system you dont dismantle the current solution until the replacement is at least feature complete of the old one. When it is developed we will have a few sets of files put on it as test data and get feedback, If its good to go then we start migrating everything over, if not more work gets done. This could take 6 months to do right so for the most part nothing in the short term would change any ways.

You also have the ability to identify shortcomings or frustrations with the current system, and make sure those don't show up in the new one. It wouldn't discredit the work you have already done and you could say its a natural evolution of that work allowing it to become something better that you could be equally proud of.

I am currently working on a proof of concept with a CMS system and if it proves to be simple enough to use I will post a link to a demo with some files hosted on it. I should have time to finish that up this weekend.

When developing a replacement system you dont dismantle the current solution until the replacement is at least feature complete of the old one. When it is developed we will have a few sets of files put on it as test data and get feedback, If its good to go then we start migrating everything over, if not more work gets done. This could take 6 months to do right so for the most part nothing in the short term would change any ways.

You also have the ability to identify shortcomings or frustrations with the current system, and make sure those don't show up in the new one. It wouldn't discredit the work you have already done and you could say its a natural evolution of that work allowing it to become something better that you could be equally proud of.

I am currently working on a proof of concept with a CMS system and if it proves to be simple enough to use I will post a link to a demo with some files hosted on it. I should have time to finish that up this weekend.

Agreed, there is no reason to shut down the current data base, when the new one is up and running, then it could happen but doesn't have to. For now, we hold on to what we got and when it comes out we help and can decide at a later date on what to do. Also, his database makes up about 1/5 of my current files, of the files I chose to download. This will be a place to deposit all of them.

So new content being added to the site would move through a pipeline like this

wta2m86.jpg

And here is an idea on how we could store the files. The entry could be used to group files that are different version so of the same part. IE an HD version of a helmet and a low res version of a helmet but are supposed to be the same part.
QeSuqej.jpg

Just some ideas, the entry level could be removed and just have everything stored as a category or a file.

Attachments

• wta2m86.jpg
    wta2m86.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 149
  • QeSuqej.jpg
    QeSuqej.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 136
Annoyingly, I have mutiny to add to the question of this tool's existence, so hear me out
---
Well the 93.33 percent poll in favor for a new database speaks for itself, but you should consider if you should put time into it and think about it from the view of whatever you know.

What everybody is trying to say is, "Yes, we'd love something new. Knock yourself out"

What I'm saying is, yes our system we utilize has flaws. Yes, Something new is always welcome especially in a community that stands on creativity. Ask yourself however, how much you think us consumers need of this tool, and how much you'd like to make this thing. Remember, nobody is really asking for this but we all think it would be useful... if done right is what I emphasize.

Largo, you seem to have the right ideas and a proper plan with things as far as I can tell, and I'd like to congratulate you for not being a total idiot and a person who thinks things through, at least in my book. I really can't say if this is completely necessary or not, but if you really want to put time into this and make our lives easier, dude... nobody is stopping you or hell, we encourage the enthusiasm.

So, bottom line is, ask yourself; do you want to make this?... because your plans are good enough and we all could use the extra convenience. (although its hard for me and ms7 to see where it lies lol )

Again, I'd LOVE to help. Exercise of creativity of course.
---

Now that I realize it, if this thing is made a big deal, all the noobs might to look for things before bombarding us with questions as to where everything is located for once. Yes, I know... the PSA for the 4shared database's existence has been made clear but not clear enough IMO.

I think this is because things are too confusing around here. Believe it or not, people are really freaking braindead about internet 101 but to be quite honest this site and 4shared is hard to read. If people have noticed my text behavior, I use spaces a lot and in my own redirection list, (in my signature if you're still scratching your head) a lot of it is in bold, and I make things easier to read.

I'm scared of this new database's outcome of being lacking because of possible nonexistent visual represantation. I constantly stumble around on 4shared believe it or not, and I hate reading walls of text here. you know, black text on grey background and all. Maybe that's why nubs don't read the 300 page long tutorial threads which are buried in the mountain of stickies which are highlighted in Sharpie for easier reading.

Before I go, final suggestion. Please make it pretty, and make it a big deal. I really don't want this project to not be noticed.

I have to say... well said. There are a lot of really old stickies that have some painfully out of date info and clutter things up badly. A well done file repo and a well done "how to" can go a long ways in reducing newb confusion, which there is a lot of (I think 9/10 of my posts are to newbies about basic forum behavior or answering questions). I don't mind helping people, but a lot of the questions could be easily diverted.

That's all in an optimistic world though. I think you'll always find no matter how nice the interface, there will always be people too lazy to read even a single sentence.

On the topic of emotional attachments to personally-developed tools, in the R&D development that I work in we're always enhancing, updating, revising, and yes, sometimes replacing code and/or utilities with newer, more-powerful, simpler, better-written code. Many times myself as a programmer will be like, "if I knew back then what I know now, I would have coded this differently". But nobody can predict what code environment you're going to be in 5 or 10 years out from now. I've had code that I've worked very hard on and used by the company for many years get deleted in favor of newer code better than the original. (And I do the same thing occasionally to other people's code.) This happens to everybody in the department and nobody feels infringed upon because the D stands for Development. If new ideas aren't developed then there is no improvement and no progress - you just keep on doing the same thing the way you've always done it and (not surprisingly) you always get the same results. You don't change something just for the sake of change, but if improvement can be made then change is not a bad thing.

On the topic of 300-page stickies with some obsolete content (like, from 5 years ago at a thread's beginning), why doesn't somebody (mod or admin) just go in and clean up occasionally? Simply delete older posts which aren't relevant anymore. It would shorten the threads and remove a lot of the redundancy. This could also be said for the several inane question threads out where WIP threads are supposed to be. (Many of these don't even meet the criteria for properly-titled threads. Titles like "I need help!" - yeah, like I'm going to click on that thread.....not.) Move the question into the appropriate Help thread, notify the poster of their error (yes, potty-train them), and delete the original thread. I feel that part of the reason this rat's nest of threads has developed is partly naive posters too lazy to follow forum guidelines and partly site staff for not cleaning up periodically. I get that everybody's busy with their own projects and personal lives, but running a web site is a project in itself and comes with its own responsibility commitments.

I think it's a good idea, but there are a lot of things the website needs some TLC with.

As a fellow IT guy, I feel you've got a pretty good plan on paper, but have you considered the long term management of such a project?

What happens if/when you lose interest in the costuming hobby?

What happens if you can no longer run the site (insert whatever reason you want here, money, time, etc)?

A centrally managed database can be a great thing, but how are you going to link people to it? There is no "button" on this site that says "download pep files here" or anything like that, and while some sites do have sections like that they are woefully under-managed (sometimes I look at soaring hammer's and chuckle).

If you are super serious about such an ambitious project, I'd reach out to the owners of this site and make your case- they might be really into your idea.

The problem I foresee with all of this is simply a lack of interest over time. This DB would be a living entity, and need regular service. Is that a price you can pay?

These are all rhetorical questions- I'm not asking you to answer me directly. Just food for thought!

I think it's a good idea, but there are a lot of things the website needs some TLC with.

As a fellow IT guy, I feel you've got a pretty good plan on paper, but have you considered the long term management of such a project?

What happens if/when you lose interest in the costuming hobby?

What happens if you can no longer run the site (insert whatever reason you want here, money, time, etc)?

A centrally managed database can be a great thing, but how are you going to link people to it? There is no "button" on this site that says "download pep files here" or anything like that, and while some sites do have sections like that they are woefully under-managed (sometimes I look at soaring hammer's and chuckle).

If you are super serious about such an ambitious project, I'd reach out to the owners of this site and make your case- they might be really into your idea.

The problem I foresee with all of this is simply a lack of interest over time. This DB would be a living entity, and need regular service. Is that a price you can pay?

These are all rhetorical questions- I'm not asking you to answer me directly. Just food for thought!

The interest over time thing is the hardest one for me, fallow through and building the tool is not.

From life experience the best way to do this is get a large group of admins with overlapping responsibility to reduce burnout and keep things afloat if people disappear. Those who would be helping maintain the site would be pr ivied to a few ways of guaranteed contact with me.

Currently in the design process I am leaning towards a 3 tier architecture on the site. layman's terms this is a cloud architecture, we could host parts of it across multiple servers so it can scale to load very well as well as multiple costuming communities can put resources towards it. This will not be tool built over night its something on my old to do list that I will be working towards now that I have time. Originally it was just going to sit on my private server only accessible from my home by myself but I figured if other people would be interested in something like this I would open it up to the public. Being there is a strong interest in this I would like the feedback and functionality and design from people here. Soon I will have finished moving into my new home and have my development servers back online and will begin this project. I am targeting January with an ALPHA so it will have minimal functionality to do the job and probably more than a few bugs.

Either way I can keep motivated and not back burner this project if there is interest and involvement, I would rather write code that gets used than code that is just sitting on a server and suites a resume piece for a job that I am not currently looking for.

Keep the ideas flowing for what this tool could be and I will be paying attention to this.

On the comments of make it pretty, Ill see if I can get my graphic designer to flesh out the wire frames into something more representative of what the page will look like.

For public projects affecting multiple end-users, it's always a good idea to have more than one "admin" on the project. You never know when you'll proverbially be "hit by a bus" (hopefully not literally, but you get the idea) and if the project "dies" because nobody else was involved then that affects your users. Having multiple people associated with the maintenance of the site will help fill in the gaps when any one individual isn't "interested" anymore or for whatever reason becomes incapable of maintaining the backend.

Do it, man. Just basic hosting and filename-search would be killer. There are sites like thingiverse which generate images based on the file - so you get previews of parts. That might be doable with virtualization, run it through pep to stl/obj, render it out, generate image etc - or you could just do optional images attached to each file.

Tags or sets would be very cool. If you built author credit in people might be more likely to put their stuff up there. I'd be willing to do some admin stuff, if you'd like.

Do it, man. Just basic hosting and filename-search would be killer. There are sites like thingiverse which generate images based on the file - so you get previews of parts. That might be doable with virtualization, run it through pep to stl/obj, render it out, generate image etc - or you could just do optional images attached to each file.

Tags or sets would be very cool. If you built author credit in people might be more likely to put their stuff up there. I'd be willing to do some admin stuff, if you'd like.

Author credit is put on there, and currently the design would be user uploads the files for reference shots and the model shots.

There is also going to be an option to download the obj/stl and the pdo on the same page. Tag sets are a feature as well as a drill down hierarchy. Licensing for the pdo/obj will be built in as well.

My graphic designer is working on a render of what the site should look like, hopefully I can have that up tonight.

Hey sorry for not getting an update up like I had planned to, I just moved into a new home and unpacked and set up my servers this weekend.

So I have my development tools setup.

If any one is interested in the craziness that I am working on here is a link to an idea

http://imgur.com/a/0cmF7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back