Pepakura helmet Resining

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptPineapples

Hey guys! Alright so I am at the stage now where I am about to resin the exterior of my MC halo 4 Pepped helmet, any tips you could give me are greatly appreciated. Also my main concern with the process is the shell collapsing or not retaining its shape with the weight of wet resin pressing in on it.

In my own personal experience it is good to have someone to help you resin. They can hold it while you slather on the resin. You can also make sure the resin is even and that nothing is warping. If you see a part warping you can have them hold it in place (since they are most likely holding it from the inside, and that most of the time the helmet warps inward they can then push it back out) I hope I helped!

You don't want to "Slather" on anything to the outside.......a nice even thin coat should be what you are aiming for. long haired bristles on the brush, don't use the foam disposable ones either (Talking from experience), they will melt. If you are applying the resin and its so heavy from getting wet, that the helmet is loosing its shape, you're putting on way too much. Thin even coats, 2-3 times drying fully between each application, and you'll have the perfect exterior. Almost as if you were dry brushing. Remember, hardening the outside is only in preparation for fiber-glassing the inside. That is when slathering come in to play and that is where the true strength of the helmet comes from.

Don't be afraid to use Popsicle sticks or more card stock to brace the inside.

someone mentioned using silicon bbq brush since once the resin hardens you can just wiggle it off. i haven't tried it yet but i might on my next project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back