photo paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC PwN 3R

my noobie friend instead of buying me fiberglass and resin for christmas like i asked him to, he bought me crappy photopaper. i already had some at home for some of my previous projects and now i have more. would i be able to use the underside of the photopaper (non-glossy side) and print out designs reversed so when i fold them, the glossy side is facing out? or do i just not use them at all?

furthermore, are transparent sheets of paper only work with laser printers or photo copiers?

I think that the glossy side of the paper would probably cause some problems when trying to resin and fiberglass. I wouldn't try it. The resin and/or fiberglass would probably not soak in or attach to it, and the resin might melt the gloss.

From my printing experience, glossy paper does not fold well at all. It 'breaks' in a wavy pattern. The coating just will not allow for crisp corners. Ink also dries very slowly on coated papers, so you'd have to wait for it to set or risk smeary lines. Also, as stated the chemicals used in photo paper could melt when exposed to resin.

It was a nice thought but I'd just take it back to Staples or w/e and exchange it for heavy cardstock. Premium glossy paper is fairly expensive so you should be able to get a nice big pack in trade.

If you mean Translucent Craft Paper (like those for wedding invitations), they are commonly available in both laser and inkjet varieties. Be sure to check the packaging to ensure this. If you use mistakenly use laser paper in a inkjet, it won't ever dry hehe.

Hope that helps,

-Vex

It wont fold well, plus if you need more, it cost too much, it's glossy surface may not do well with resin either, or fiberglass since it has a plastic coating, it will repel most liquids.

what if its for a quick project?
i understand that it wont fold well but what if i use the scoring technique but press harder with the pen, would that work? furthermore, its a christmas gift so theres no gift receipt even though there should be one...but really, what use would i need of photo paper now, rather than throwing it away, im using it for an alternate purpose. i already have another 50 waiting in another package so why not get rid of this stuff to make room in the house?
i tried folding some, as i can recall, it works fine, u just have to be precisive...
wow, i just answered my own question, im such a noob.

:( cmon man, have some faith! change is good! says McDonalds...:)
and to vex, im planning on printing on the other side of the photo paper, the non-glossy side, so that the ink will not need to dry.
im not planning to fiberglass anything as of yet...
wait, if im going to the store for transparent paper, might as well buy cardstock...oopsé... my bad.

Ok if you're not willing to listen to the answers that people are giving to the question you asked us, why not go ahead and try it.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Sean Bradley said:
Ok if you're not willing to listen to the answers that people are giving to the question you asked us, why not go ahead and try it.

Let us know how it works out for you.
I dont mean to sound mean and rude, Mc pwner, but experience answers questions, and it may not work, I just hate for you to fold all that armor, then not be able to resin it because of the smooth plastic photo surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, lets make a little challenge
i make a small, not real-life size, of something, maybe i dunno, uh...energy sword from the pep download database.
no intention of flaming anybody, i was just experimenting, and there is no offense taken between us all, yes?
if i can make a decent one, then what then?
if i cant, then i lose ink, paper and ink money...

to spartan-167: have a little faith...

ill post my results asap

furthermore, i may not plan to use photo paper, but just for fun, im gonna use tape, photo paper and the template designs of Pep to make it, otherwise, im going to the office supply store in my town to get some transparent paper anyways, and while there, buy a couple hundred sheets of cardstock.

EDIT: To avoid double posting, i will edit my post instead...im trying to make the forums a better place! :D

here it is, just the handle cuz its late at night and im tired from work and other stuff as well.
this is Canon Premium Photo Paper, and i used a pen-n-ruler scoring method so that the foldings would be cleaner and easier. obviously using scissors to cut and tape to paste.
here you go...
ps: RAINBOW DRAGON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back