Pippons 1st Halo Build. 3d Printed ODST. (picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pippon

Member DIN
S671
So, Having wanted to build an ODST for a VERY long time, i decided id best start.
That was a year ago, and there was a nasty accident with a window in direct sunlight and a finished ODST helmet/Chestplate which put a hiatus on the whole thing whilst i calmed down.

BUT now i have started again, lessons learned, and with new files, courtesy of At The Brink studios.
Thus far, ive got: A Magnum (Boomco repaint) an MA40 (Nerf repaint) The Helmet, one shoulder, one Gauntlet, The upper chestplate and a backpack (courtesy of sean bradley) complete.
Pictures are below, progress will be GLACIAL as i take a super long time to finish each part.
I'm more or less following Brinks build guide thus far, tho i may make some alterations as i go.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg

Great work all around. I really love the way that MA40 came out! I have one I'll be repainting as well in the not too distant future.

All the white lettering on the armor....are those decals, stenciled paint, or what? They look great.

Great work all around. I really love the way that MA40 came out! I have one I'll be repainting as well in the not too distant future.

All the white lettering on the armor....are those decals, stenciled paint, or what? They look great.
Vinyl decals. Invested in a cricut explore air 2 a while back for costume construction, its made making custom decals a doddle, just design em in something like inkscape, export as an SVG, and let the cricut handle the rest. :)

Vinyl decals. Invested in a cricut explore air 2 a while back for costume construction, its made making custom decals a doddle, just design em in something like inkscape, export as an SVG, and let the cricut handle the rest. :)
Cool. My wife has the cricut as well.....I'll have to commandeer it when the time comes!

Looking at my dusty old airsoft kit, it’s precisely the length of an M4 with the stock collapsed. No idea how that relates to the scale of the in game MA40 but it certainly doesn’t feel “small”

Looking at my dusty old airsoft kit, it’s precisely the length of an M4 with the stock collapsed. No idea how that relates to the scale of the in game MA40 but it certainly doesn’t feel “small”
Exellent thank you. I reckon I will pick one up. Once I get the beast of making the armour out of the way.

Some additional progress.
Finished the rear plate carrier soft component, hard components are still under construction. Second shoulder plate complete and mounted to its brace, lower chest armour is finished, temporary belt complete. Made some of the undersuit today but thats nowhere near ready to preview.
Coming along!

IMG_2732.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

work of art Pippon, I'm hoping mine turns out half as well.

Spent the last few days working on the undersuit.
Havent done any sewing since highschool so this wasnt really my forte, and i think i may need to detatch and reattach those buckles slightly higher up, but it all came together about 75% the way i wanted it to!

15.jpg
14.jpg

So theres been some progress, and some setbacks.
Progress, i finished the second gauntlet, the spinal plate, the rear armour plates.
18.jpg
19.jpg

Setbacks: none of it fit together at all. After heavy alteration of the rear plate carrier and adjustment of the undersuit "poncho" i fixed a lot of issues, but the neck ring is a write off, its about 3 inches short on either side, and the wrong geometry to fit together. Gonna reprint the front half super long, heat warp it to shape with a heat gun, then go from there.
Also a test fit revealed an extra inch of padding is needed inside the helmet to prevent it colliding with the shoulders and chestplate when i so much as look down slightly, and that my shoulder straps need securing along the length of the rear plates to prevent slippage.

17.jpg
16.jpg

Bit more progress. Worked on the be,tline, featuring wheninmaines lumbar plate, hip plates, moesizzlacs belt buckle, and Gerard2567 's detail clips. Base belt is a combo of a handymans padded belt liner and a 2 inch tactical web belt, some D rings sewn on for ingame accuracy. Cannisters will be added at a later date.

23.jpg
22.jpg

After this was finalised and some more minor adjustments made to the main armour, i did a test fit
24.jpg
25.jpg

and besides a fair risk of heat exhaustion in summer, its actually rather comfortable! Gotta sort some strapping to secure the power pack and front belly armour assembly, but thats noty a big job. Then onto the lower half of the build!

So for a brief respite from sanding, i decided i needed an M7 to better fit my theme. My Infinity AR is very nice, but im going for Rookie theming here so, what better.
BUT i have a con to get to, with a deadline of october, and my armours not done. So i went for a kitbash instead of a full print. Lo and behold i found this post from a member, halo1, and decided to replicate it. Is it 100% accurate? no, and that hurts me. But its close enough for comfort.

I started with the base elements of a cheap toy lights and sounds MP7, a nerf recon stock, and a cheap red dot sight.

The silencer was printed as was the magazine from Aguilars M7 (that much sanding i was going to allow myself)
31.jpg

A fairly mild amount of sanding, filling, paint and decals later and we have this.

27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg

Oh. And it does this.

Wow, this build is OUTSTANDING! When I build my ODST, I hope I can get it to even half the quality of this build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back