Please Lock/ Outdated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I'm officially frustrated. I still can't find that link for the MK III Shins by dancin fool. Can anyone give me a hand?

Saber1138 said:
Okay I'm officially frustrated. I still can't find that link for the MK III Shins by dancin fool. Can anyone give me a hand?

He hasn't modeled them yet dude. He is still working on them so just wait util another update from him

Last edited by a moderator:
carlino said:
Sorry for my lack of information in the previous post. I meant, should dancin fools files all be scaled at 1.525, regardless of who unfolded?

And how do we go from a 6ft scale (1.525) down a few inches to say roughly 5'7"-5'8"? Is there a formula or something you apply to get a scale of the height you need it to be at?

well, here's what I did, take the torso measure it by width so there's about 1 to 2 inches of room on each side of your chest right by the bottom of your ribs, take the scale from tht and apply it t the other files :D , but come to think of it you could be stocky fo your size soya might have to do some guess work ;)

Neoproks said:
They are using their own files that Starx created for the majority. I believe some of the pieces they have now (the bicep and forearm) are callmemilo's but they might redo them.

do you know where i can get the other pdo files? the link to the camillo files are restricted and i can't register because that is also closed. so far i only have the neck, helmet, shoulders, chest and back files but the lower half and the hands remain to be unseen. can you point me in the right direction? any help would be much appreciated.

izabel said:
is there any mark v pep files? :)

I haven't seen any yet around this site or section-sixteen site. I think people are preoccupied with the war machine builds..

I am incredibly excited to have found you underground guys bangin away on creating these models. I decided last week to begin the possibly year or more worth of designing on my new Iron Man full body gear completely constructed from T6 Aluminum. I have already made it into a good chunk of my model using AutoDesk Inventor, when I ran across everything you guys are doing and realized I can use these Pepakura files to render their 3D models into AutoCad, WOW!!! You guys have no clue how much building work you have saved me on this PC while my wifes anger grew! :lol

Now, I have one large question here, and I'm sure after enough research I'll probably find it anyhow... Do you think I can use these folded models for my metal sheet fabricator? Considering my work plan here was simply to build my 3D models, and send them over to him to form from 14gauge 6061 Alum sheets, I am beginning to think this could possibly work easier, and just require more welding points...

Hmm, my fabricator may hate me considering this... Thoughts?

I am not sure we know enough of the process to be able to answer that. If you are using the digital model to run through an automated system you might be ok... if that is possible... but if you actually print out the sheets and try to pep the metal, except weld it instead, i think you are going to run in to a lot of problems. you wont have the smooth curves. Also, wont an entire suit made out of aluminum be incredibly heavy? Even the movie version was made with rubbers and plastics.

wolfshui said:
I am not sure we know enough of the process to be able to answer that, if you are using the digital model to run through the system you might be ok, if you actually print out the sheets and try to pep the metal except weld it i think you are going to run in to a lot of problems. you wont have the smooth curves. Also, wont an entire suit made out of aluminum be incredably heavy? Even the movie version was made with rubbers and plastics.

Unfortunately, I am not going to be 100% sure until I finish the design and get the exact sq ft of my material needed, and multiply that by thickness and weight. However, I went with the T6 Aluminum because it is right at 1/3 the weight of mild steel which is currently used for knights armor. The knights armor was my initial source of info on this project, and they weigh in from 75-125 lbs depending of course on how much they throw on. My hopes are that with this little of material, and a thin 16 gauge or so sheeting, I shouldn't be much over 50 lbs at the most.

The only thing that I am still not sure of yet, is how I am going to build the fasteners in to attach everything, but that is just going to take some time in AutoCad looking everything over. If I can pull this off for less than they charge to build you a suit of arms ($2,000 or so) then I think I'll be ready to take on my project and get the fabricator to work! :D

stlouistechy said:
Unfortunately, I am not going to be 100% sure until I finish the design and get the exact sq ft of my material needed, and multiply that by thickness and weight. However, I went with the T6 Aluminum because it is right at 1/3 the weight of mild steel which is currently used for knights armor. The knights armor was my initial source of info on this project, and they weigh in from 75-125 lbs depending of course on how much they throw on. My hopes are that with this little of material, and a thin 16 gauge or so sheeting, I shouldn't be much over 50 lbs at the most.

The only thing that I am still not sure of yet, is how I am going to build the fasteners in to attach everything, but that is just going to take some time in AutoCad looking everything over. If I can pull this off for less than they charge to build you a suit of arms ($2,000 or so) then I think I'll be ready to take on my project and get the fabricator to work! :D

ok... now i may be wrong on this, but i think what you will need to do is print out the pep and go through and mark every fold that needs to be a curve and not a fold. This way you can know where you can bent the metal to get the curve and where you have to use an anvil to crease it. this is also the best way to figure out how much material you will need. you could estimate it by counting the number of sheets that you need in the print out, and that will give you a rought estimate of the sqft of material you need. This is much more of a undergoing than what you may think, i hope your fabricator is really good.

wolfshui said:
ok... now i may be wrong on this, but i think what you will need to do is print out the pep and go through and mark every fold that needs to be a curve and not a fold. This way you can know where you can bent the metal to get the curve and where you have to use an anvil to crease it. this is also the best way to figure out how much material you will need. you could estimate it by counting the number of sheets that you need in the print out, and that will give you a rought estimate of the sqft of material you need. This is much more of a undergoing than what you may think, i hope your fabricator is really good.

Agreed, this is one that I assume will take allot of time, and money to accomplish. I think it will be well worth the wait however. I also took under consideration today having all of my parts 3D printed which is what they did for the new suit in Iron Man 2. I found a great site that will accept your 3D rendered files, and generate a workable printout for you. They actually offer a handfull of materials, and the Polycarbonate I think may be able to hold a good metalic paint job. Plus, its really dang cool having your 3D rendered images mailed out to your house in a real form.

I think the only limitation to what you can create with these, is it can't be over 24" or so square. I was very suprised at how cheap it was too, around $60 to have my helmet printed in a hard sturdy plastic is becoming a strong consideration.

Here is their site, you can get an auto estimate just by uploading your files:

http://www.shapeways.com - (really wanting to play with this)

And if you haven't seen how 3D print works yet, trust me, its worth a quick 2 min vid on the process:

You should post this as its own topic, but looks like a great idea to get a perma-mold to make multiple suits from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back