Portal props vac forming

Status
Not open for further replies.

bevbor

Hi guys,

I'm trying to model die part for vacforming of one side of the cube.
I have no experience in vacforming at all, so here's my question:
what form of mold is more effective in this case? Concave (on the left) or convex (on the right)?

(click on image to enlarge)
6209066173_85642b2ccb_z.jpg

Thanks in advance!
crazy_pilot.gif

Pretty sure the right one is better. However, I can see there being issues with a lot of detail getting lost because of the 4 corners being higher than everything else. You may need to put holes in places around the center to get the vacuum to pull down in there.

if your vacuum forming then the one on the right is what you need. vacuum forming makes an exact duplicate of the original (with the exception of like .05 mm). and as far as putting extra holes in the model, also not needed. the vacuum will suck all of the air out and force the plastic into the creavaces. however for something like this a cheap oven former will more than likely not cut it. you have to make or buy a profesional format rig

i think your better off molding it, that wat you'll keep the details. i'm not even sure if it's possible to vacform it, unless you want a square like blob thingy :confused

however for something like this a cheap oven former will more than likely not cut it. you have to make or buy a profesional format rig

Yeah, I should have included this caveat. If you are using a professional vacuum former, you would be fine but I think an oven+vacuum cleaner would have trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back