Primering

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc halo3

Okay i might sound like a retard for saying this but umm... why do i need to spray my armour with primer after bondoing it o_O (or before please correct me ), i really need to know .Alot of people say that you need it but never state why its important ,would'nt it wipe off most of the details that you put there after you bondoed it and some people say that your armor will look crap if you dont primer it(please forgive me for swearing),but if someone were to give me a supervalid reason i'll understand .im fairly new to 405th and the armour making process.Please some help me ,im desperate to know why.

FalseKnightmare said:
it will also make spots that you missed easy to see depending on what color you use
but woudnt it screw around with your details o_O :cautious: (so do you put it on after bondo)

Last edited by a moderator:
i personally haven't used bondo yet, all of my pieces were pretty straight forward. as long as you use a thin but even coat, it won't do anything visable to your piece.
(from my understanding, the primer goes on after the bondo)

FalseKnightmare said:
i personally haven't used bondo yet, all of my pieces were pretty straight forward. as long as you use a thin but even coat, it won't do anything visable to your piece.
(from my understanding, the primer goes on after the bondo)

good it doesnt do anything to my details cause it better not,if it did anything to it ill shoot the can with a pistol (not advisable :lol:

the primer will also keep your main color an even shade, if you don't put primer on, you have to put a lot of paint to cover everything.

FalseKnightmare said:
the primer will also keep your main color an even shade, if you don't put primer on, you have to put a lot of paint to cover everything.

ok i understand now thank you for your time and information. :D :D :D

I know this is mostly cleared up, but this is my analogy.

Primer is like a dinner plate. you could just eat off the table, and you would stop being hungry, but isn't a meal better when you can eat it off a plate? Ultimately the result is the same, but fine food comes on a plate.
:p

Lord Perth 16 said:

Primer is like a dinner plate. you could just eat off the table, and you would stop being hungry, but isn't a meal better when you can eat it off a plate? Ultimately the result is the same, but fine food comes on a plate.

you get +1 internet for that analogy! Very nice

I agree. Priming allows you to see mistakes easily, fills in any minor imperfections which would be major eyesores without it, makes the final coat a LOT easier to apply evenly, and whets your appetite for the finished product with a clean sneak peak!

Lord Perth 16 said:

lol
and also great anology ,very clear what you explained

lostdude said:
you get +1 internet for that analogy! Very nice

I agree. Priming allows you to see mistakes easily, fills in any minor imperfections which would be major eyesores without it, makes the final coat a LOT easier to apply evenly, and whets your appetite for the finished product with a clean sneak peak!

thanks ill be using primer tommorow on my hd helm by FS so ican see anything i got wrong(my primer will be red or black i cant decide ,because im thinking of doing it red but then thinking it black ,someone help with color picking ,im doing MKVI armor)

im buying my primer on the net now umm... i picked red because im a supporter of team red in red vs. blue:D

thank you people for all your help :D and keep on rocking (y) (y) (y)(this topicis still active please post your opinions still as that would be appreciated)

mjolnir follower said:
im buying my primer on the net now umm... i picked red because im a supporter of team red in red vs. blue:D

wait, what about Krylon? They say the fusion for plastic doesn't need a primer

*Tayl0r* said:
wait, what about Krylon? They say the fusion for plastic doesn't need a primer
ummm... to my learning every type of armor needs primer ,because plastic will make the paint run down th armor but if you use primer it will stick like magic (its usefull for the stripe details that are a different color and it helps you not get any paint on your straps i believe) hope i helped

no it only runs if you hold the can to close primer is used to detect details in your bondo if you have little pinholes and it can make your armour smoother by putting a lot(mythbusters used it for that use) and if your doing stripes primer wont do anything you just have to make sure your masking tape is really sealed and you dont apply it thickly do it in short bursts with thin layers slowly covering the surface.i have painted everything from resin to bondo to metal without primer and it turns out fine but i use the primer only to find imperfections in my bondoing

box o crayons said:
no it only runs if you hold the can to close primer is used to detect details in your bondo if you have little pinholes and it can make your armour smoother by putting a lot(mythbusters used it for that use) and if your doing stripes primer wont do anything you just have to make sure your masking tape is really sealed and you dont apply it thickly do it in short bursts with thin layers slowly covering the surface.i have painted everything from resin to bondo to metal without primer and it turns out fine but i use the primer only to find imperfections in my bondoing

well primer is reccomended for new members who are making their first suit (be it hd or not )so they can concentrate on painting perfections (you said you build metal,im talking about pepukura )it would be a mess if you didnt apply primer for the paint to stick (as in brush on not spray paint),espicially if the paint dripped into other areas that you wanted specifcally to paint differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back