Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syke360

Hello all.

As everyone is aware Noob forum members sight is serverly effected the noob status thus I'm typing this because 1. I couldn't find a relative topic 2. There's no forum search on my iPhone.

I need to purchase a printer that can handle the input of 200gsm card stock.

I tried a friends and it wouldn't print and the card got stuck plus it sounded as if someone was strangling a duck with some fishing cord.

What cheap but usable printers can you lot suggest for my pepakura printing needs on 200gsm card stock?

Thanks for your time

Syke360 said:
What cheap but usable printers can you lot suggest for my pepakura printing needs on 200gsm card stock?

Thanks for your time

I'm not familiar with 200GSM stock but are you talking about 200lb card stock? I'm familiar with with most paper poundage and 200 seems a bit thick to run through any machine.

Usually you have 80lb cover which is generally used for index cards

then there is 100lb cover that is used for annual report covers

there is 120lb that is for note pad backing

And it goes up to 200 and 220 which is what you see on the back of some note pads, or used for the covering of cheaper hardbound books.

I don't know of a desktop printer that will print that thick.

Most desktops will print 100lb card stock you find at Wal-mart. there might be a paper setting you need to change in on the driver or onthe machine itself to take the larger paper.

Hope that helps,

Last edited by a moderator:
200gsm is about 110lb. (according to one of the pepakura tuts)

Might have to shop around online. Shops round my way have a better use as rubble lol.

Most printers that have a top feed will print thick stock. If your printer feeds from a tray at the bottom, you could run into problems. I managed to print onto chipboard (like what is on the back of a notebook) without any major issues. The print head smeared ink a bit, but that's because the chipboard isn't flexible enough to wrap around the roller properly. Lexmark printers are cheap and the all-in-one that I have works great on thick stock. Remember to only load one sheet at a time to avoid paper jams.

Hey, Looking at the LB to GSM conversion table in the Pep forums I saw that 200 gsm is 110 LB.

I used 110lb with my Deskjet 3320, it was fairly cheap when I bought it (30 USD). I've had maybe 5 jamming problems through-out 150 sheets of printing. I just learned to load only enough paper for what I'm printing, or just not to overload the printer.

I heard a few weird noises at first but then I just realized it was the paper snapping straight as it got past a few parts so I stopped worrying. After printing 150(Probably more because I did reprint some sheets) and about 20 sheets into my new project my printer is still working.

My HP Photosmart c7200 is a beast.

hp-photosmart-c7200-all-in-one-series_400x400.jpg

If you just want to print stuff though, look for something cheaper. My family uses this for everything.

yea, ive been looking around for a printer that could handle 110lb cardstock too. it seems that hp's are relatively good with thick paper but Im always so nervous with just randomly buying one and a lot of the specs online dont show paper weight... for now I just keep using my families Dell 5100cn which is a BAMF of a printer, it does EVERYTHING (with no exaggeration i might add)

I'll say this - try to avoid printers that perform front-load/front-print type printing. The way the paper tends to roll through the system as it prints can cause jamming problems with 110lb/200gsm card-stock with subsequent printing problems.

Example of front-load/front-print:

hp_psc_2110_1.jpg

It's best to get straight-through systems (as I call them) or top-load/front-print types. There are a few front-load, top print types too. Those are also straight-through printers as well.

Example of top-load/front-print:

EpsonStylusPro3800InkjetPrinter.jpg

There are lots of exceptions and whatnot. But I've used about 6 different front-load/front-print systems and had problems with all of them. Used two top-load/front-print systems and never had a problem with printing to cardstock. There are plenty of people that use front-load/front-print systems and have no issues. And vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back