Project: MichaelMau5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, herotrooper. I have no idea how to go about the sanding process. From my understanding, I just apply the body filler > sand starting from low grit to high grit > apply primer > sand imperfections > wet sand from 1000 to 3000 > paint and polish? When do I apply the clear coat?

well, chances are there's gonna be some SMALL imperfections. So get some spot putty, works wonders without having to mix up a ton of bondo. and apply the clearcoat at te very end, Don't be too hasty with it, and DONT LET IT RUN. You do not want to sand the clear coat!

Thank you for all the information and encouragement :) Totally keeping me motivated to get this done! I'm getting excited, myself, with how this thing is coming along, so I think I'm gonna update with some pictures after I get the ears cut out. Stay tuned :D

Hey, no problem man. You want to sand from 80 (careful with 80) then 100, then 120, then 150 and 180 on the bondo and spot putty. Spray a light coat of black primer over they grey, and sand with 250 or 300 then 400. The black primer will show the low spots as you sand. Once you have that sorted out, give it a sand with 500 grit. The 500 is the last step before you paint. Make sure you wipe it down with a damp(ish) rag to get all the dust off, as you don't want that showing through the paint. Do light coverage coats with the paint. Usually 2-3 coats will do. You can do and extra if you want. Follow the directions on the can for wait times in between coats. After you are happy with the paint coverage, do the same with th clear coat. Again, light multiple coats is key...especially with clear. It's harder to tell where you've applied it and a lot easier to have runs with. Once you have satisfactory clear coat coverage, you can now wet sand any minor imperfections you have. Start with 2000, then 3000, then 4000. Keep a bucket of water handy to soak the paper consistently. Hopefully this will help you out. Any questions you have, feel free to pm me. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Update! Alright, so I have the ears cut out, the mouth has been cut out, the neck hole was rounded, the eyes were repositioned to accommodate the new mouth size (I made it wider, and angled the upper lip to about 5 degrees, increasing the original open mouth's height from 5 inches to 6 inches), foam was added around the neck, 3/8 inch lips made of foam were added inside the mouth, resin was applied to the lips and neck foam, and a 15 degree line for the ears was drawn. Here are the pics.

vscryb.jpg

inz87q.jpg

2zhe9sn.jpg

2yy3wxx.jpg

Sorry for the double post

Eyes came in, so I glued them in and started the fiberglass phase. I don't know about the shape of the eyes, though. My cousin said it looks like a frog. Hopefully it'll look like Deadmau5 when I get the ears on it.

316297p.jpg

EDIT: Unfinished ears taped on to see how the overall shape looked. Looks good to me :D

2hfurex.jpg

haha Now that is cool, why doesn't deadmou5 have a clear ....head...thing... eh nevermind XD
The only thing I would do different, (that you really can't :/) Is that the bottom of the ears are a bit rounder...
good going on it so far!

Rounder how? To make a better seam between the ears and the head (assuming you're talking about that bottom)? For the last picture, all I did was tape the ears together, and then taped it to the head in a very... clumsy way. The edges will fit to the head better once I can get around to working on the ears more. They still need to be sanded on the sides for a more round and even look. The project is on hold right now, unfortunately, because I have absolutely no money left to buy supplies that I need to continue. The good news is that I know a guy who can teach me how to wire LEDs and EL Wire. Which, by the way, will come in handy for when I start my Mark VI Mjolnir armor. I'll post updates when I get this back in the works! :D

They are out more at the bottom then you have them. Think of it like this, He has a circle, You have an oval. It's really not too noticeable, I'm just a perfectionist.

Oh! I see what you're saying, and you're somewhat right. Deadmau5 does have a few heads that have ears that are more round than they are oval, but every one of his heads are different. Be it the shape of the mouth, ears, spacing between "facial" features, etc. The deadmau5 head I'm basing my head off of do have ears that are more oval than round. To me, I like the heads that don't have circular ears, because it looks too much like Mickey Mouse in my opinion. :p

I'm not really a deadmau5 fan so I'm not familiar with the details but this is mega impressive, you really went balls-out on getting things exact. Are you going to cover the ear pieces with anything? They look fragile to me as they are now.

Oh! I see what you're saying, and you're somewhat right. Deadmau5 does have a few heads that have ears that are more round than they are oval, but every one of his heads are different. Be it the shape of the mouth, ears, spacing between "facial" features, etc. The deadmau5 head I'm basing my head off of do have ears that are more oval than round. To me, I like the heads that don't have circular ears, because it looks too much like Mickey Mouse in my opinion. :p

XD I never noticed that, I waas just looking at it going "Somethings off here.... *Google search* There it is! I thought something looked different!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back