Project: MichaelMau5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

Acrylic dome is mapped out, mouth needs work, ears and eyes will come soon. I've done these measurements based on the actual measurements released by Deadmau5 of the original head. Five inch space between the eyes, two inches between bottom of eye and mouth, two inches between neck hole and bottom of mouth, crudely drawn eyes four inch in diameter, and 3.5 inch space between where the ears will go, may increase this to possibly five inches. A work in progress, I'll update this thread as I continue the build.

2l2nmg.jpg

24glgyu.jpg

2lig1te.jpg

2mdlykp.jpg

282fcr4.jpg

20pd8qf.jpg

6y2lap.jpg

wow. i dont think i would have gotten that technical with it but im lazy for the most part, lol. where did you get the bubble?

(Sorry for the account change, I used the Soap account because I couldn't remember the password to this one)

It's a 14 inch acrylic globe primarily used for lights. Here's a link for it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/14-Clear-Acry...1953244&sr=8-1&keywords=14+inch+acrylic+globe

I'm gonna take a different route than the usual Mau5heads people make. The bottom has been cut 8.5 inches by 8 inches so I can fit my head inside. The template of the original Deadmau5 head said the hole should be 8 x 7, but my ears we getting caught when the hole was this size, so I shaved off half an inch from both sides as well as half an inch from the back for an easier removal. Rather than using material to cover the head (which would be the next step after getting the eyes on and the mouth cut out), I'm gonna take it few steps beyond that for a more sleek look and a more sturdy head. After I get the mouth cut out and the eyes glued in, I'm gonna attach the ears (still need to go out and buy foam), and then cover the bad boy with some Bondo Body Filler. After that, I just need to sand it down to a very smooth surface, prime it, fix mistakes, paint it up, seal it, and install some LEDs. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the EvilMau5 look (sort of). It's gonna be all black, with red LEDs. Unfortunately, for the mouth to fit with this set up, I'm gonna need to go out and find a motorcycle helmet's visor that will fit into the head. Two fans are going to be installed in the back of the head for nice airflow, and to add more of a look for the back. A lot of Mau5head makers neglect the back of the head. Actually, more accurately, a lot of Mau5head makers put all of their mistakes in the back of the head. For example, unsightly seams of fabric, or improper folding of material, are usually found there. If I add fans, it'll add more visually, especially if I add LEDs to the fans. This is ultimately going to be for show, though, so I wont be wearing it too often. Maybe for something like a Halloween party, or perhaps a Deadmau5 concert.

I DO have one question, though. Will I be able to put in fiberglass resin in the inside for a sturdier build? I don't know if it will stick to the plastic.

Does he have a forum account? It'd be cool for the two of us to bounce ideas off each other, or perhaps motivate one another. Good luck to him!

Foam, sealed and then bondo'd. I have no idea on going about it, but I always wanted to have speakers integrated into the ears. That may have to be for a future project. :p

Update: I fixed the mouth, fixed the neck hole for a more round and even look, and I went out and bought the majority of the materials I'm gonna need to get this thing done. (Spent about 240 bucks today, sheesh!). Since the eyes are still coming in the mail, and probably wont be here until next week, I'm gonna go ahead and make the ears and cut out the mouth. I decided to make the ears out of styrofoam, since it's stiff and lightweight. Then I'm gonna cover the ears with duct tape, and coat this with bondo body filler. Also, rather than go out and buy a visor and hope one fits, I'm gonna save the mouth piece I cut out and add a dark tint to it. That'll give me a perfect match. Once the eyes come in the mail, and I glue them in, I'll update this thread with some pictures. PS: SAND PAPER IS FRIGGIN' EXPENSIVE!

. PS: SAND PAPER IS FRIGGIN' EXPENSIVE!

XD depends what you buy, I found this nifty lil pack of sand paper at my Local Ace Hardware store, has 25 sheets, about 4x12 inches each. 100 grit, 180, 220, 330, and 400. 5 sheats each, and only 9 bucks! I'd suggest you compare prices!

What's done is done. lol And wow! Only 9 bucks? I must have spent about 30 bucks, and got 40, 80, 220, 320, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 grit, 2 - 3 sheets each. From my understanding, there's no two different sanding papers for dry sanding and wet sanding, right? I'd die if I have to go out and buy new sheets for wet sanding.

hehe... Well SOME can be used for both, but some don't. I was never sure what the difference between the two was, but to be honest you prolly could have gotten off with the 320 or 400....I have only used 180 to my helmets point and it is so smooth!

Ear Speakers:

YESSSSS you know it is going to be a pretty awesome project
i had a suggestion for the speakers, maybe you can set the DIRECTLY in the ears. but maybe just MAYBE you could make the ears a 2 panel piece, like instead of one whole flat ear do two identical halves except near the bottom leave a small opening, you could attach some small speakers from the inside of the head at the base of the ear facing upward so the sound travels through the space between the two layers

then on the front half of the ear you can cover it with a colored cloth to match

here hope this helps with an idea to do it
dedmau5.jpg

good luck buddy

I'll ask a friend if they can help with the speaker idea, but luckily, the ears are going to be made by 2 pieces of 13 x 13 x 1/4 inch Styrofoam being glued together, so each ear will be 1/2 inch in depth. Perhaps if I shaved away some styrofoam for the speaker, it'd work. :D Thanks! Instead of cloth, though, since I'm going for a shiny look, I can put a steel mesh (the same kind you'd see on a stereo speaker) over the ear (perhaps save an inch around the edge). And then I can line this mesh with EL wire and have it glow red. I'll draw this up tonight :D

This looks like an awesome original project. I really like the speakers in the ears idea. Hopefully you can get that to work. As for the sandpaper...looks like you got the right stuff. It would say on it wether it can be used as wet/dry. Usually 1500 and up can. Go from 350 to 400 to 500 before you paint...if you do. After that, any mistakes (if any) can be taken out with the 1500 and up. You just need to polish after 3000 to get the swirl marks out. Make sure you put enough coats of clear on it in order to take some off with wet sanding. As for adding strength to the unit itself, have you thought about covering it with a fleece material and then hardening it with resin? Scuffing the surface of the orb(?) will be enough to give the fleece and resin some tooth. It's easy to sand down and then used filler for the low spots. This technique is used to build custom sub enclosures and those have quite a bit of strength. I know you just bought most of your supplies, but I figured I would throw that out there.

Thanks for the info, herotrooper. I have no idea how to go about the sanding process. From my understanding, I just apply the body filler > sand starting from low grit to high grit > apply primer > sand imperfections > wet sand from 1000 to 3000 > paint and polish? When do I apply the clear coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back