Purchasing the right visor/shield for the right helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xentryn

Assistance required - Purchasing the right visor/shield for the right helmet

Hey all, first post here on the 405th.

I tried to utilize the search feature but came up empty handed for an answer.

After looking at many of the -VERY- nice finished projects questions popped in to mind. I will sum it up here:

- Will the shields purchased from motorsport stores fit every single helmet? I do understand a bit of customization work is involved but my concern is the way at which it concaves.
- Recommendations as to making it fit in the helmets and keeping it snug?
- Customized retracting shields has anyone come across those?
- For helmet modeled and peped out is the shield one of the more frustrating parts of the project?

Examples of where I see the issue - Halo reach Jorge's helm(deep sides) vs. Jun's helmet(fairly flat).

Thanks for taking the time to go over this :)
Oh one more thing, has anyone done iSpartan speakers for helmets? ;-P

Actually, I've taken an old run-down set of headphones (the frame broke, so i decided to re-purpose them) and figured out a way to put them an and align them to the inside of my helmets. of course, most of this is all theory, but it's worked, so far.

Usually its not a problem. As long as the shield is full faced it should fit everything. The one i use is almost as big as my head and im 6'5" so is big. Hot Glue works well to get them to stay. I used sticky tape on my jun. The friction from the side of the helmet keep it in there and the tape held it close. I just had to heat it with a heat gun to get it more in the shape. Overall it was easy took about 15mins to do.

Hi guys, would anyone know of any stores or sites that sell gold tinted motorcycle visors for cheap? Or is the cheapest im going to find going to be 30 $?

Best method of work IMHO is to pep the visor, harden the pep and make it really clean and smooth, then just vacuum-form the visor. That way it's always the right size+shape.

Hi guys, would anyone know of any stores or sites that sell gold tinted motorcycle visors for cheap? Or is the cheapest im going to find going to be 30 $?

I've been looking around trying to find the right visor, but I'm still a long way off. Have you tried ebay? I've seen some that seem ok and are $15-$20. I also would like to keep visor cost low, since I'll essentially be destroying it by cutting it up to make it fit!

Best method of work IMHO is to pep the visor, harden the pep and make it really clean and smooth, then just vacuum-form the visor. That way it's always the right size+shape.

I'm sure there are tutorials on here for that but how expensive would that be compared to buying? Cause my Emile needs his visor...

It really depends on if you have a vacuum forming machine at hand; if you do it's actually pretty cheap, but if not, the machine runs about 50-70 bucks; at least that's about how much mine seems to be coming out to. PETG is a pretty stable type of plastic that can handle the heating process without clouding up. I'm not sure if polycarbonate does or not, but I do know Polycarbonate is expensive.

Used a motorcycle visor for my odst helm and have excess to play with so it should be fine.

if you want a very good vaccum formed visor, you should ask Sean Bradely, he is the master at making odst stuff like armor and visiors so yah i would ask him and he sells them for $20 and only like 9 dollars for shipping and handiling
hope this helped

-Road Kill

if you want a very good vaccum formed visor, you should ask Sean Bradely, he is the master at making odst stuff like armor and visiors so yah i would ask him and he sells them for $20 and only like 9 dollars for shipping and handiling
hope this helped

-Road Kill
Issat the guy on the home page in the ODST armor? cause I thought he was taking a break from molding lol...

hey i got mine off of ebay for like 25...its a little pricey but i like how it came out. here's some pics to show you what it looks like...

2011-02-08010705.jpg

2011-02-08010726.jpg

2011-02-08010716.jpg

2011-02-08010705.jpg

2011-02-08010726.jpg

2011-02-08010716.jpg

OK, I don't know how much this will help you But I've found Face shields for $5 on sale at the loc. hardware store and window tint at automotive store for $8 just have to hit it with heat gun to make it fit. Well that and get to the helmet part of my build. hope this help you in finding cheaper places to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back