PVA glue AND Plasti-Dip for sealing foam -- my experience so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

glassedplanets

Uh, pretty much what it says on the box. This is my first build (MK VI, Wash from Red vs Blue) and my first time working with EVA foam (my helmet was done in early fall via the pep/resin/bondo method) and I've basically just been banging this thing out for the past week and a half straight. Yay, vacation!

I decided to go with both PVA glue and Plasti-Dip as sealers for my foam because a) I've used PVA glue to seal craft foam before (for a dinky little crown) so I knew how it'd go, b) I still wanted to keep some of the foam's flexibility, via the Plasti-Dip, and c) I don't want any of the foam texture showing through, so 5 million coats of junk should do the trick, right?

Now, y'all might be thinking, "but Bee, if you use PVA glue you're killing all flexibility, why would you think that PD would magically bring it back," then you're 100% right and that's something I didn't consider at all until I had, like, my third coat of PVA glue on. When I realized this I went for my two inner-thigh pieces and flexed them, which, naturally, made all the glue not only craze, but straight-up crack into the foam, a few mm deep.

THEREFORE, knowing that I had some pieces that absolute require flex for me to put them on (notably the shins -- I removed two pieces from the calf area because I'm a pipe cleaner of a human being, to the effect of the shins being tight enough to just sit on my legs without any velcro support, but also requiring me to heavily flex the foam as I shove my foot through), I put on all of the pieces once I was done sealing with the PVA glue, so that everything would flex, crack, and craze where necessary. I then went back and went over those cracks with some more glue.

And then, yesterday I had my first (and unfortunately not last) experience working with Plasti-Dip. I have to say, honestly, I hate this stuff. I hate the way it applies, I hate the way it dries, I hate the way it smells (lucky me, I'm a weenie and I was wearing a respirator just for the smell, before I found out that the vapors are apparently toxic), I hate everything about it. However, I'm going to recommend it (and keep using it) only because I went back to the inner-thigh pieces and flexed them (hard), and they flexed without issue -- though, granted, they were already cracked, so I'm not sure how much of that was purely the result of PD.

I (just now) tried everything on again post-PD, and I'm very pleased (and incredibly relieved) to report that I had no cracking issues! Go me. My next step is going to be to go back and re-fill some of my seams before I throw down a primer. I didn't fill them all the way before sealing because I wanted to see how the sealant would look on top of filled vs. unfilled seams, but now that I've seemingly popped open a few caulked seams, and now that I see how the non-popped, previously caulked seams look, I'm going to try and make the seams I don't want disappear fully.

Mostly I decided to start this thread because everything I read seemed to have wildly different opinions on how to seal EVA foam (Plasti-Dip! PVA glue! Mod Podge, which is just PVA glue! Gesso! Flexbond!) and I didn't actually see anyone detail their experience with using both PD and PVA glue, so yeah. Clearly I've got no photos attached, but I can definitely post some if anyone's interested, and I'll also probably do another flexibility update once I've got primer down.

UPDATE: The primer did great job of highlighting every single imperfection ever, and then some. I sanded some stuff down (mostly uneven caulk), and then, because the PD did that awful bubbling thing and the primer didn't help with that at all, I threw some more PVA glue over it, and I'll probably do one or two more coats of PVA before buffing everything down a bit and adding (hopefully) one last coat of primer.

HAHA Sounds like Me having issues finding a suitable method for making my visors. Just keep at it and eventually you will start to get results. Interested in seeing the suit.

I'm not a huge fan of the flat face shields. I'm trying to actually get the double curved surface in mine. I already have the tent that I picked up from a place that does car window tinting. I also picked up some clear polyester resin and some amber dye. Im going to try to cast them if I can. Working on a suitable model of the visor that I can cast though. My Dad has a smaller 3D printer So I'm going to try to have him print one up for me. Still working on learning haw to use the modeling programs to get one made

UPDATE #2: I'm done painting the primary color, letting it dry before I start on details. All in all, I've revised the above "necessary evil" statement -- I am incredibly displeased with how the PD ended up looking, even under more PVA glue, primer, and paint. I was almost tempted to peel it all off, but I do (unfortunately) like the flexibility it offers me, especially since I need it in the shin/boot area. I think next time I'm going to a) make sure I don't have areas that need flex and b) just use PVA glue.

Hopefully I'll be able to have everything 100% finished tomorrow!

post some pics. This way we actually see your progress and how good it looks.

post some pics. This way we actually see your progress and how good it looks.

Here's the PD versus almost-completed upper thigh (primed and painted, I have some more detailing to do):
IMG_7438.JPG IMG_7480.JPG

The uneven texture and the bubbling is driving me up the wall, but I don't have time to re-do it at the moment. I'm going to peel off all the PD and add more coats of PVA glue the next chance I get to work on this suit.

try using caulk as a filler. a small Popsicle stick to use as a spakle knife to smooth out the caulk then go over w/ the PD. it will fill all those pesky gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back