Question Of Misalignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loderian

I have a question about the construction of certain parts.

I am currently working on a left-bicep and there are parts that don't seem to be proportioned correctly. Is it normal for one edge to be longer than another? Here's a picture of the specific piece.

gallery_8808_1675_3798053.jpg

I noticed a little bit of this in my build. Just line up the numbers first, and make sure the lines are parallel. This should help alot. worry about the edges later in finishing process?

Usually it means some of your bends near that piece aren't at the right angle. Also as you get farther along with a piece if you arent compensating for earlier inaccuracies they tend to build up and you can get larger inaccuracies.

no it usually means that youve put other numbers out of plase probibly only even by 2mm and it basically all adds up towards the edges if you can undo them then you should be able to replace them

I cant imagine anyone having the patience for this. I am almost done gluing ONE bicep, and for no reason there are HUGE complications.

If anyone would sell a full suit, i'd rather buy it at this point, because if this is how 1 bicep is, i'd rather quit.

Lol. Yeah. I got a bit frustrated when I did my first piece, but then I just started taking it one fold at a time and make sure it's lined up right. It might take a few extra minutes but it saves a lot of headache.

Well i spread out the work of 1 bicep over the course of an entire day, starting before Noon, and still have a few tabs to glue now at 11:30pm. I couldn't imagine taking more time.

It seems like certain pieces have to be glued together in a certain order as well. I went by the order in which it printed, but seeing as how brilliantly that turned out, i doubt thats right.

It took me 8 hours to do my first low detail MKVI helmet. But after a few more pepes I was doing them pretty quick.

I'm not sure if this is the right way but here's how I do it...

I have pep open and I pick a starting point. then work in one direction and keep working in that direction until there isn't anymore to add on. If the piece wraps around I usually don't join it until everything else is added on. . I glue tabs one at a time unless I see that multiple tabs will be covered if I glue another one.

Edit:

howidoit.jpg

I picked the large plate as a starting point and extended down. once I got tot he end I just worked around til it connected. It worked for me. Meh

I haven't done anything to this level of difficulty as of yet, but papercrafting in general can have that issue. Patience is something that is absolutely necessary. Take your time on folding and things will line up in the end. I have a Mario hat that looks pretty boss, but it took me at least two weeks to cut cleanly and fold (without having lines in it.), let alone hot glue it in place.

I'm forgoing the armor parts as of now, I'm probably gonna try to make a few Frag grenades first. 3 page pieces shouldn't be too bad. My only question about the Grenade, is how does the "pull pin" portion get connected. Pepakura D3, couldn't find any joining faces.

Don't worry I did a 2day theory (if you have the time) 1day of cuting, folding and gluing those folds and then day 2 I did the full assembly total probibly looking at 11 hour per high def piece depending how skilled you are , lol if your thinking of quiting you might wanna try "bevbor's sniper rifle" I wouldn't even dare to print it out the folds are incredibly impossible for my hands

Just remeber "practice makes perfect" it's all about trial and error , oh and as for buying a full suit you will need alot of money but there's always the rubies suit

Loderian said:
I'm forgoing the armor parts as of now, I'm probably gonna try to make a few Frag grenades first. 3 page pieces shouldn't be too bad. My only question about the Grenade, is how does the "pull pin" portion get connected. Pepakura D3, couldn't find any joining faces.

I made a grenade, and you just attach it on via hotglue to the detonator. If that's the proper term for the top of the grenade.

I wouldn't recommend doing a weapon or prop yet... as they need to be sealed, obviously. It's a pain in the ass to seal up a grenade, especially because it's small. I haven't done any armor yet, but because I made a Frag, Plasma and Flame Grenade already, I know how to work with Pep.

TL;DR version: Making a prop will NOT be easier, but it will make you better at pep for your armor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy Ivan said:
I made a grenade, and you just attach it on via hotglue to the detonator. If that's the proper term for the top of the grenade.

I've heard it referred to as the striker assembly/housing and the detonation housing.

Anyway, I agree. Hot-glue that puppy. I've seen people use those pull pins from fire extinguishers as well. Though, I would advise getting those kinds of pins from a fire extinguisher that is still in use for emergency purposes.

Crazy Ivan said:
I wouldn't recommend doing a weapon or prop yet... as they need to be sealed, obviously. It's a pain in the ass to seal up a grenade, especially because it's small. I know how to work with Pep.TL;DR version: Making a prop will NOT be easier, but it will make you better at pep for your armor.

Aside from Grenades, and perhaps forearms, what else might you suggest as additional starter pieces?

You might want to checkout either odst or marine armor, some of the pieces are fairly simple shapes so should be easier, by the time you get to the more detailed parts you will be a pro.

My first piece i scaled too big, made it from paper instead of card, made the low def by accident and generally did it all wrong but now ive got a 3/4 done ironman suit, 1/2 done mk VI and 1/4 done marcus fenix. Much practice!

Give the HD shin a try, there's quite a few pages but i found the folding and assembly to be one of the easier pieces.

Should I scale up the size of the Pep. as well, so then I have bigger pieces to work with at first?

Also, why might the Pep. lines not show up when i export it to XPS? More specifically, when I export it to XPS and open the XPS file on another PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back