Question on Pep out a high detail helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryZad

Hey guys and gals i have a question about how to pep out a high detail helmet. I have seen on the sight the awesome pep work that others have done and asking what card stock they use. I have a idea of using reg card stock on big pieces and extra heavy card stock on small or thin pieces. Would wonder what others have done and if this would work. Ideas and comments more than welcome.

i have just used regular stock that you buy off of the shelf from kmart or walmart through the whole project. i don't mix it up at all. i see you are from AZ. Which part?

i have just used regular stock that you buy off of the shelf from kmart or walmart through the whole project. i don't mix it up at all. i see you are from AZ. Which part?

I am in Mesa. Yea i got a pack of card stock at office maxs 250 sheet 110lb for 13 bucks and one pack of heavy and i guess we will see how it works

It's a tough call.
I use 110lbs Cardstock for all of my work - I've thought about using thinner cardstock (60-90lbs) for the smaller pieces (tiny edge details, etc), but I've been undecided if it'd actually help. Most of the time the smaller pieces get kind of... 'limp' from handling them so much as I cut them out, crease and fold tabs, etc. In this case I think the thicker cardstock helps it keep itself together.

The benefit I see to potentially using the thinner stuff is it might be easier to assemble as the tabs aren't quite so thick, etc. I think this can be negated by careful pre-creasing/folding of each edge in the appropriate manner. This allows you to get very precise and detailed areas to be built out of the thin ones.

I would stick with one type of card stock only. If it is going to warp the thinner card stock will most likely see the worst of it because of the added weight of the heavier card stock.

I would stick with one type of card stock only. If it is going to warp the thinner card stock will most likely see the worst of it because of the added weight of the heavier card stock.

Thanks! wasn't sure on it

Hey guys and gals i have a question about how to pep out a high detail helmet. I have seen on the sight the awesome pep work that others have done and asking what card stock they use. I have a idea of using reg card stock on big pieces and extra heavy card stock on small or thin pieces. Would wonder what others have done and if this would work. Ideas and comments more than welcome.

If your plan is to use two different weights of cardstock, this way of going about it is backwards. If anything you would want the heavier stock for the larger pieces and the lighter stock for the smaller pieces. The reason for this is that the lighter paper would be more prone to warping and caving in on larger expanses, and the heavier paper would be more difficult to work with on small pieces.

Really, your best bet is to stick with one weight throughout, and reinforce if/when needed.

If your plan is to use two different weights of cardstock, this way of going about it is backwards. If anything you would want the heavier stock for the larger pieces and the lighter stock for the smaller pieces. The reason for this is that the lighter paper would be more prone to warping and caving in on larger expanses, and the heavier paper would be more difficult to work with on small pieces.

Really, your best bet is to stick with one weight throughout, and reinforce if/when needed.

Thanks. I think i am just going to stick with 110lb card stock through the whole thing i think it is going to be the easier way to go and dont have to mess with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back