Question regarding Master Chief helmet and armor-mixing canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumgoot

Hello everyone,

So I just bought a Disguise-brand Master Chief helmet off Amazon, and I plan on building foam armor to accompany it at some point. My question is this: Is the Chief's helmet always the "same"? It's appearance changes from game to game, and of course, the 343 Chief helmet is a big change from the bungie style, and so we went through H4 and H5 with Chief looking like this:
master-chief-h4-fullscreen-1920x1080-2107b89056e74e3980749f2493542bbc.jpg

Only for it to go back to the original style with the reveal trailer of Halo: Infinite:
halo 6.gif

So does his helmet design change because of S-II through S-IV tech improvements, as in each different look is a different "mark" of helmet, or does it change based purely on art style?

I bought the helmet not because I particularly want to do a Chief cosplay, (if an ODST or Reach helmet was also available for the same quality and price I would have went with one of those). I bought it because the detail was good, the price was right, and it saves me the trouble of trying to build a convincing helmet.

So either I'm going to do a S-IV or Chief cosplay, or I'm just going to throw canon out the window and make a S-III armor with a Chief helmet (possibly repainted). ALSO, on the multiplayer of H4 and H5 armor and helmets can be mixed and matched, but is this canon?

For example, could a canon Spartan use an Oceanic helmet with Defender chestplate, aviator shoulders, and Precept legs, and be canon? Or is it strict armor-helmet matching? Also, Noble Six in Reach campaign could be customized in this way, so I guess there's an interesting argument there as well.

So basically I might just do whatever I want, but I would like to know if it is canon or not. Thanks! Please ask if you need any clarification, I know I rambled a bit.

You'll be fine. Think of it like the Spartans go to the armory, grab their gear, and if one of their helmets are damaged or being serviced, they could use another one.

There is a jump from Gen I to the Gen II of the S- IVs with Mjolnir Mark VII, I believe. Forget compability after that. Gen II has a Retro version of the Mark VI though. It was made because how durable it was and how famous it became when MC used it during the events of H2 and H3. Only reworks of older armor styles are compatible with Gen2. There are also cases like the Helljumper Variant which is an integration of Oadst tech to Mjolnir Systems. So Chief might now be wearing a remastered version of his armor from the human-covenant war. Upgraded with new tech of the S IV program.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Think of it like the Spartans go to the armory, grab their gear, and if one of their helmets are damaged or being serviced, they could use another one.

I like that idea. Instead of being attached to one set of gear like a favorite teddy and blankie, they just grab whatever works.

3A039327-2B49-4A38-AF1D-C72E625B6F3B.gif

There is a jump from Gen I to the Gen II of the S- IVs with Mjolnir Mark VII, I believe. Forget compability after that. Gen II has a Retro version of the Mark VI though. It was made because how durable it was and how famous it became when MC used it during the events of H2 and H3. Only reworks of older armor styles are compatible with Gen2. There are also cases like the Helljumper Variant which is an integration of Oadst tech to Mjolnir Systems. So Chief might now be wearing a remastered version of his armor from the human-covenant war. Upgraded with new tech of the S IV program.

Ok, so I was reading a few other threads, and I was looking at spartan customization for Halo 5. The retro suits are an interesting option so I could basically do a S-IV but with a classic style. Also, some seem to think that Chief's armor in H4 is the same as it is in H3, but they look different because of the change in art and graphics.

Another opinion based on Halo Glasslands is that the suit was literally upgraded while Chief was sleeping between H3 and H4 due to "nanotech", so the art change is a result of an in-universe upgrade, but that just sounds like 343 covering a visual continuity gap . I know, complicated stuff.

Thanks for the help though. I'm thinking I'll probably just make a S-III (Reach style) but with a chief helmet. Probably won't be canon, but should be unique and hopefully interesting and cool-looking. I'm a ways off from even starting the build, so who knows, I change my mind a lot.

I was wondering this same thing. My 6yo wants to be Chief for a local Comicon/Halloween .Was going with the Amazon helmet and trying my hand at the Eva armour. Wasn't sure if I should go with the H4 since it matches the helmet style, or go with original "space diaper" style armour.
Gonna let him pick and go with it.
Wish me luck!

This is my first post, and really glad I found this group.

I was wondering this same thing. My 6yo wants to be Chief for a local Comicon/Halloween .Was going with the Amazon helmet and trying my hand at the Eva armour. Wasn't sure if I should go with the H4 since it matches the helmet style, or go with original "space diaper" style armour.
Gonna let him pick and go with it.
Wish me luck!

This is my first post, and really glad I found this group.

Welcome to the club!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back