Question With Hd Mkvi

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffinman868

Jr Member
So i was planning on making another mkvi but this time hd and i was wondering if its easier to start from the top of the helmet or the bottom or if it matters? i usually start from the bottom just to see if it fits but idk if this way is best?

also should i use elmers glue instaaed of hot glue so i have time to correctly position my folds becsause with my low temp hot glue gun it dries in like 2 seconds

all help is appericiated
thnx

I would say maybe start from the top and work your way to the back and sides and finish it up on the front visor part.

Personally, I use hot glue..I don't have the patience to sit there and hold pieces while they dry.

If your hot glue is setting too fast, give elmer's a try. I use it exclusively on all my pep. I like have the chance to realign a piece. As for where to start, that is entirely up to you. I usually start at the bottom but may try starting at the top on my next helm. Just to see if it's any easier.

thanks everyone i just got some more paper and im gonna try some elemers cause i really want this helmet to be a keeper

and thank god i found flying squirrels hd mkvi with only 70 pieces yessss i can wip this out in a couple of days

i also saw the indy mogul halo armor video way to go skg! your pro at this stuff

well i must get to work

one more question how long on average should i hold the fold after i applied the elmers?

thnx

im using elmers school glue wiht the no run formuleea and it works awsome some peices werethey need to strech hold for like maybe 20 seconds and lt it sit or just gluing to something that is right bbeside a peice just put on hold for like 5 seconds and your good :p

i just started about half an hour ago and so far so good i placed a blow dryer between my knees and i glue and hold the pieces in place with my hands and let the hot air quick dry it and so far its been woking great

ill kepp you guys posted

I use Gorilla Glue Tough Shock Super Glue exclusively on my pep armor. It's thick, urethane reinforced, and sets in 30 seconds. Nice for throwing stuff together extremely quick!

hmm il have to check that out, the elmers is fine it just a little to runny and soggy for my liking...but i know superglue doesnt stick to paper and is a nightmare to get of your hands.

muffinman868 said:
hmm il have to check that out, the elmers is fine it just a little to runny and soggy for my liking...but i know superglue doesnt stick to paper and is a nightmare to get of your hands.

Superglue actually does stick to paper, but it dries really fast, and if you make a mistake, then you're pretty much screwed. And you have to be careful while unsticing your hands from your armor( that is if you accidently get stuck to it) because it either rips your skin off, or it rips the glued part of your armor off. I've had some bad experiences. Wouldn't recommend it, but it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
VladtheRussian said:
Superglue actually does stick to paper, but it dries really fast, and if you make a mistake, then you're pretty much screwed. And you have to be careful while unsticing your hands from your armor( that is if you accidently get stuck to it) because it either rips your skin off, or it rips the glued part of your armor off. I've had some bad experiences. Wouldn't recommend it, but it works.

as long as you have the thicker superglue it will actually soak into the first few layers of cardstock so that you get a really good bond, but VladtheRussian is right, you gotta be deliberate when you're sticking parts together with this stuff.

thanks guys but im gonna stick with elmers for now.. ive had bad experiences with super glue before lol :D

what about hight temp hot glue gun besides burning your hands does it have a longer setting time or is it just about the same as the low temp?

muffinman868 said:
thanks guys but im gonna stick with elmers for now.. ive had bad experiences with super glue before lol :D

what about hight temp hot glue gun besides burning your hands does it have a longer setting time or is it just about the same as the low temp?

It has a higher setting time. It's basically the same glue only hotter so it takes longer to freeze.

ive only made one helmet but i personally like to make the visor and then work around the sides to make the actual shape then build up and down

I use both hot glue and Ultra Thin CA like this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXPT38&P=ML
Hot glue is self explanatory. I use a Craftsman glue gun that gets REALLY hot. The nice thing about hot glue is it's un-doable in a pinch. YOu can either use an unloaded gluegun or a soldering iron to heat up a joint and take it apart. Not so much with superglue (CA, cyanoacrylite adhesive)

I use CA for small pieces or areas that need to be kept clean. To keep from getting glue on my fingers, I got a few nice cosmetics quality tweezers and put rubber bands around them to make them stay closed on their own. The CA resists adhesion to the metal. Clamp your work piece together, and just barely touch the tip of the glue bottle to the joint. The beauty of THIN CA is that it wicks completely into the joint and cures nearly instantly.

Drawbacks: It's rigid. You must have the joint at or around the angle it needs to be because it is difficult to bend. This does make it nice and solid for resining though! Hot glue is borderline too flexible for me. Try it on a small project for yourself!

You can also buy the THICK CA and use it to fill gaps and holes. It dries significantly slower, but you can get an accelerator spray that cures it with a quick zip.

i go top center to the fins, then around to the back then down. i also the front part separate, then connect the 2 sections. but what ever works. if u need a better glue gun, michels has a 40% coupon in the paper every week so its a good place to get a good deal. my little basic 1 is fine once it starts up. i have about 10 places on my hands when i lost skin from hotglue burns XD but its what ever u like best.

i use super glue, and have some really bad instances with that.. i must have went through 3 bottles trying to do my helm and had to use a spare bottle of silicone to finish it.And i personally think it is easier to start with the top, work around to the back, and then work my way to the front. ;) I found that if you start with the front it makes the helm really thin and it is very hard to put on. I cant even imagine if you wer trying to resin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back