Questions about building ODST Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my mind. I am going to be altering my right shoulder armor to be this:

1613233981069.png

Here is the addition to my right shoulder. I figured I'd add in an energy sword from a friend. Anybody have recommendations for the air? Also, how would I go about putting lights in this sword? It's just a regular Mattel one from 2017.
20210214_170627.jpg

Here is the addition to my right shoulder. I figured I'd add in an energy sword from a friend. Anybody have recommendations for the air? Also, how would I go about putting lights in this sword? It's just a regular Mattel one from 2017.View attachment 302898
That ended up looking great! For air flow, you can install a small fan in your helmet that will do a great job at keeping you cool and prevent visor fogging. There are some great tutorials here on the forums and online so there are a few ways to do it, but usually they are similar and fairly easy to do. You can get a pack of small computer fans off of amazon for really cheap.

Lighting up the sword might be difficult to do properly without cutting it open entirely. Maybe you can just cut the handle off, thread some LEDs down the sword and plastic weld the handle back on, but it would be hard to secure the LEDs inside the blade. An better way to do it would to cut the blade in half going up the inside edge, add leds, and secure it back down. Either way, I am not sure how you would be able to replace batteries and do potential repairs if the sword is glued back together

That ended up looking great! For air flow, you can install a small fan in your helmet that will do a great job at keeping you cool and prevent visor fogging. There are some great tutorials here on the forums and online so there are a few ways to do it, but usually they are similar and fairly easy to do. You can get a pack of small computer fans off of amazon for really cheap.

Lighting up the sword might be difficult to do properly without cutting it open entirely. Maybe you can just cut the handle off, thread some LEDs down the sword and plastic weld the handle back on, but it would be hard to secure the LEDs inside the blade. An better way to do it would to cut the blade in half going up the inside edge, add leds, and secure it back down. Either way, I am not sure how you would be able to replace batteries and do potential repairs if the sword is glued back together
Thank you very much for both the fan recommendation and for the lights. I will try with the energy sword, and I can always get a new one if worse comes to worse. Thanks!

All right, I am pleased to say that I am finished. My helmet will be coming in soon, and I will have a full set! Here is an image. The armor was built by me, and painted by Artex Callahan.
1617300700621.png

He took the picture when I had just looked over at him. Jerk. ;)

Well, my helmet has arrived! Anyone looking for a good eva foam odst helmet, get it from PrecisionProps3 on Etsy. This thing is a gem! I gave it a layer of black spray paint, and also put a paper visor in for that process. Just getting a real visor now, but here is the pictures. In the mirrior, that is my dad taking the pictures.

2021-04-19 (1).jpg
2021-04-19.jpg

To add to that. It most likey best to find an old backpack use the strapping on the backpack as a way to carry the ODST backpack and the trash can easily be modify to look like this with foam and detail straping. The backpack is the best way to start with your build because you can get an idea on how foam smithing work.

View attachment 299095
This is honestly such a great idea!
Also, off-topic but the middle section happens to look like the "Forsaken" logo from Destiny 2. :lol:

Well, my helmet has arrived! Anyone looking for a good eva foam odst helmet, get it from PrecisionProps3 on Etsy. This thing is a gem! I gave it a layer of black spray paint, and also put a paper visor in for that process. Just getting a real visor now, but here is the pictures. In the mirrior, that is my dad taking the pictures.

View attachment 305468View attachment 305469
Nice job, man!
This turned out so great! o_O:)

hi i'm making my first odst armor out of eva foam and i was wondering how is the helmet supposed to feel when you were it

hi i'm making my first odst armor out of eva foam and i was wondering how is the helmet supposed to feel when you were it
So, from the one I have, it touches all sides of my head, but I have a bit of shake movement, fixed by a balaclava. You should have a little bit of excess space in front of your chin, but have it rest against your forehead. I'm no expert, just to remind you, but this is my experience. Give it a little room, honestly. It's easier to fix something that is slightly too big with padding and such then wasting time and materials on something too small. I'm glad you'll be joining the ODST's soon! Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back